Anyone Have a Custom Black or Dark Gray Interior? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jaymar

SILVER Star
Threads
Wondering if anyone's done this or bought a Cruiser this way--and if so, how you changed the dash color. I'm told by a source I trust that none of the off-the-shelf dash colorants hold up over time, so interested in possible alternatives...

I'm going this route in a round-about way and was just going to get a black dash-mat. It'll be silver and black neoprene. My pothead cousin is doing the upholstery work and he's finished a front headrest so far, as well as a rear seat. I'm hoping to have the rest back in another week or so. I've also swapped the OE raggedy-a** carpet out for black ACC carpet and what an improvement that was.

I'll post pics once it's all wrapped up(and febrezed) :confused:

I bought mine from someone who tried to change the interior color. It's s***, don't do it, cost me a lot to replace/fix everything back to tan and I still haven't done the seats.

Just thought about this again. Check into hydro-dipping. Not sure how it'd hold up on a semi-flexible surface but it's a pretty solid coating that stands up to abuse.

Wondering if anyone's done this or bought a Cruiser this way--and if so, how you changed the dash color. I'm told by a source I trust that none of the off-the-shelf dash colorants hold up over time, so interested in possible alternatives...

Why change the color?

I did my headliner.

20160519_103043.jpg

20160519_165559.jpg

Last edited:
Ha, should have said dash AND plastic trim...

Can't remember if @ZeGerman did the plastics bits as well as well as his interior, but may take a look at his thread.

Just thought about this again. Check into hydro-dipping. Not sure how it'd hold up on a semi-flexible surface but it's a pretty solid coating that stands up to abuse.
That looks awesome. Wonder how it holds up in heat/cold and whether it's toxic. As you say, I'll check into it, thanks!

Painted all this as well. Still holding up a year later pretty well.

20160602_141316.jpg

20170121_124101.jpg

20160519_083411.jpg

Says it right on the can, Dash,Panels,seats, carpet

Have no experience with the dash / trim colorant stuff myself, but know that ICON won't use it because they say it doesn't hold up over time. (I didn't ask how long "over time" is.) Let us know how this goes...

I bought mine from someone who tried to change the interior color. It's s***, don't do it, cost me a lot to replace/fix everything back to tan and I still haven't done the seats.
Won't do it unless I know it's gonna work and hold up. What did the PO use, if you know?

Last edited:
Sent you a PM. Feel free to call me at any time. Below some pics:

full

full

full

full

full

And here is my first try at recoloring the interior. I did a test piece on the driver door because thats the one that gets used the most. It held up just fine for over 6 months. Hot Utah heat in the summer to cold eastern winters.

full

My dash was nasty. It was a painted on faux wood s***. I wanted it black again. Lots of sanding and three coats of black and I got what I wanted.

full

full

My next step is the dash top itself. I will NOT be just spraying that. I will wrap it in the same material as my seats. Ill dig up the photos of the headliner etc. Everything inside the cruiser is black now. I just have a few more small trim pieces to do on the seats.

Sent you a PM. Feel free to call me at any time. Below some pics:

full

full

full

full

full

And here is my first try at recoloring the interior. I did a test piece on the driver door because thats the one that gets used the most. It held up just fine for over 6 months. Hot Utah heat in the summer to cold eastern winters.

full

My dash was nasty. It was a painted on faux wood s***. I wanted it black again. Lots of sanding and three coats of black and I got what I wanted.

full

full

My next step is the dash top itself. I will NOT be just spraying that. I will wrap it in the same material as my seats. Ill dig up the photos of the headliner etc. Everything inside the cruiser is black now. I just have a few more small trim pieces to do on the seats.
Okay, have to say, that's gorgeous. My deal is, I only wanna do this once (see ICON caution above) and--so far--the ones I'm seeing are only one year old...

As to the wrap--why the leather-look vinyl instead of just going with leather?

***If*** I ever was to recolor the dash, I'd pay to get a alcantara recover.

Alcantara is synthetic, and while suede like is easy enough to keep decent.

Real leather for the seats, my preference - and a real leather recover of the wheel.

I have had a alcantara wrap BMW Sport Evo wheel, and it gets matted quick even driven city-only, let alone dirty hands that ran the winch 15 mins ago & are sweaty now.

I agree that aside from a material re-wrap of the headliner, any of the chemicla methods aren't time-proven to wear well, so all the work would need to be real recover if you live in decent UV area & plan to keep for the long term.

Also, who was the guy in the AZ area that posted a deeper graphite recover recently?

It was a little on the hot-rod side of things, but it was a deeper shade of grey & he's in AZ (unless I'm getting 2nd hand smoke up here in WA :smokin: ).

***If*** I ever was to recolor the dash, I'd pay to get a alcantara recover.

Alcantara is synthetic, and while suede like is easy enough to keep decent.

Real leather for the seats, my preference - and a real leather recover of the wheel.

I have had a alcantara wrap BMW Sport Evo wheel, and it gets matted quick even driven city-only, let alone dirty hands that ran the winch 15 mins ago & are sweaty now.

I agree that aside from a material re-wrap of the headliner, any of the chemicla methods aren't time-proven to wear well, so all the work would need to be real recover if you live in decent UV area & plan to keep for the long term.
Interesting. I know ICON uses alcantara for headliners, but I'm not sure how much hard use those rigs are likely to see. Thoughts on alcantara in wet/muddy/dusty/freezing/insanely hot environments?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom