Anyone had any luck wrapping an 80 fender with vinyl? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 80 has been needing to be painted for a while now. My son wanted to try wrapping it, so we did. Everything went good until we got to the back of the fender at the body molding. After removing the vinyl I now have less sanding to do on the fender flare...
6D9DF8E5-E50C-428D-B7A5-C4F61F298BF3.jpeg
C5D8D32C-0DBC-4E32-9A7A-79919684E5D6.jpeg
B1BD3D24-AA3D-41F8-8A51-E4FBC8B76C12.jpeg
C3BB21F9-473E-4253-B98D-84D9D2505D7B.jpeg

I'm interested to see what you find out about the flares and also see the end result of the wrap on the rest of the vehicle. The wrap guy I went to said that they are too porous and don't hold wrap well. I have no knowledge to doubt him but still think it can be done.

I don't know much about wrapping, I've done all of one hood...but it seems to me it would be easier to pull the light and fender flare, and then wrap the fender and flare separately.

I was hoping the vinyl would hide some of the bad places in the paint, it didn't. If anything it highlighted them.

Looks like it was repainted at some point in life and not done properly...?

I was hoping the vinyl would hide some of the bad places in the paint, it didn't. If anything it highlighted them.
That was our experience as well. We ended up taking the vinyl off, wet sanding the imperfections in the clear with 400 and 800 sandpaper, and then redoing the wrap. It looked 100% better.

not a huge fan of the vinyl, at least here in AZ... the sun will destroy it and make removal a royal nightmare. I did the trim on my 100 series and 2 years later it looked awful, used the nice Avery Dennison stuff too...

If you are set on wrapping, I think you will need to pull the rubbery spacer material and rap around the edge, you won't be able to cover that with the vinyl.

not a huge fan of the vinyl, at least here in AZ... the sun will destroy it and make removal a royal nightmare. I did the trim on my 100 series and 2 years later it looked awful, used the nice Avery Dennison stuff too...

If you are set on wrapping, I think you will need to pull the rubbery spacer material and rap around the edge, you won't be able to cover that with the vinyl.
It is looking like the prep work for vinyl is about equal to that of painting. We were hoping vinyl would be a cheap easy fix.

Yeah, it will absolutely highlight blemishes in the surface underneath.

It is looking like the prep work for vinyl is about equal to that of painting. We were hoping vinyl would be a cheap easy fix.
I messed about with vinyl on a previous car, and you're not far wrong about the prep.
Vinyl needs to go on to a clean, sound, smooth surface.
If paint has degraded, you need to sand, prime / reseal, and probably sand again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom