Anyone got a Knuckle centering SST to rent (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Need the SST 09634-60013, Steering Knuckle Centering Gauge. Doing a mini truck swap to my FJ40 and need this tool to center the knuckle/axle. Unless someone out there knows of an alternative way to do it?

Straylight

Done!

I'm in Indiana.

Dennis P. Kane
C/O Michigan City Airport
1300 N. HWY 212
Michigan City, Indiana 46360

Redoing my 1975 FJ-40 from the frame up and ready to put the Mini knuckles on.

Let me know what it will cost and I will send you a check for the shipping, deposit if you want, and enough for a case of long-necks.

Really appreciate it.

Dennis

Just how important is it to use one of these tools ? If you can get the preload right with a fish scale, what additional benifit is the special tool ? Im guessing that alot (most) of us dont use this tool....or am I wrong ? I did a min truck disc conversion without it...the aligment shop said it was almost dead on when I took it in, are they missing something that they should be checking ? I dont need any stray telephone poles jumping infront of me !
:-\

Thanks

As mentioned, yuo can get the correct preload and not have a centered axle. If you are assembling a bare bones axle housing, and have no record of the stock number and thickness's of shims top and bottom, then to get the axle to center through the oil seal you should use the SST, or the home brew version.

Your truck will not handle differently, you will just start pucking gear oiled knuckle grease out the knuckle housing, as the axle will not be centered to the oil seal.

One good reason to keep 4 baggies on hand when tearing down to the knuckle bearings. Mark each bag and put the appropriate shims in each.

hth's

gb

[quote author=knuckledragger link=board=1;threadid=3974;start=0#msg29973 date=1059805400]
Medusa:

How would I know....would the truck handle differently ?
[/quote]

It won't handle differently, but the inner axle seal will leak.

That sucks...I really dont want to tear all that goey mess apart again, I think I'll wait till they start to bleed.

Hey gang,

This may be a stupid ? but do the mini truck birfs have fine or course splines? I am about to do the mini-truck conversion on my '75 and was wondering if I can keep my hubs. I am running course spline Aisin hubs currently.

Thanks,

-R

Hammer,

That is what I was afraid of....Anyone what to buy a set of course spline Aisin hubs :D

-R

[quote author=xumFJ40 link=board=1;threadid=3974;start=0#msg30215 date=1059976790]
Hammer,

That is what I was afraid of....Anyone what to buy a set of course spline Aisin hubs :D

-R
[/quote]

Coarse aisins ? do such things actually exist ? What about $15 for both ?

Yep...They exist

I have a set that came on my '75 FJ40.

I will be swapping to a disk setup over the next month or so.

I think that I will hang on to them for now... :D

Does anyone know if coarse spline birfs and hub lock mechanism can be used on a fine spline rig. If my buddy breaks will my spares get him home.

so mini truck (hilux to me) free wheelers will fit my 76 disk brake fronts??? if so, that may make the hunt for new free wheelers easy

Anyone here make that part? If so, how did it come out?

I gotta find one of these or make one up asap. Anyone got one they want to rent or sell?

just so you all know- that tool is quite a math project to get just right. I did it and it was a beatch.
You will need calipers that fit over your knuckle and measure in millimeters too- not easy to find.

I was asking for the directions to use this thing a few months back, and some people sent them to me. I think Woody may have even posted them on the tech links?? Not sure. I can email it to you if you want it. Its a scan of the Factory service manual.

-Dustin

The later the manual, the better the directions for using the centering tool.

You will need an 8" caliper whether you use the Toyota tool or make your own. I had to get one from mcmaster.com.

Every chassis manual up to '89 has the procedure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom