Anyone give me a roof rack part? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
For any of you guys who've removed their roof rack and are junking it, I'm missing one of those screw downs that holds the cross bar from sliding. It's a black plastic round knob with a flat plastic loop that's knurled so you can tighten it by hand - around an inch and a half-ish in diameter. Anyone feel like giving me one for free??

I've had the 97 for 9 months now without it, and keep forgetting to ask.

Thanks in advance!

DougM

I've got four of them, but want to hold onto them. Just get a mm bolt. That's what I did for added security several years ago for the cross members of the rack. Did it so that the cross members would be that much harder to remove when I have the ski rack on it. You can do by hand with the knobs that are OEM. At least with bolts, you've got to have the right tool to remove the cross members. hehehe Not much added security, but enough to thwart the casual thief!

IdahoDoug said:
For any of you guys who've removed their roof rack and are junking it, I'm missing one of those screw downs that holds the cross bar from sliding. It's a black plastic round knob with a flat plastic loop that's knurled so you can tighten it by hand - around an inch and a half-ish in diameter. Anyone feel like giving me one for free??

I've had the 97 for 9 months now without it, and keep forgetting to ask.

Thanks in advance!

DougM

PM me your contact info!

Doug,
PM me if you still need one.

What, you neglected to pillage them from my wreckage? Brentbba, what size threads were those? Doug should be able to order them from http://www.mcmaster.com/, they have 1566 varieties of thumbscrews. I almost always get what I order from them the next day.

In the galvanic series aluminum is closer to steel and zinc than to brass or stainless, so I'd stick with zinc plated steel there. I use a lot of zinc anti-sieze on my aluminum roof rack. It seems like stainless or brass would be great, but apparently it'll speed corrosion of the aluminum threaded hole it's in. Where's our airline mechanic?

Scott - no idea. I did the swap out years ago. If interested, I can check this evening.

Doug, if you want all 4 off my 97 or anything else from the old rack , let me know.

TY

If you are going to the trouble to scavange rack parts, get two more complete cross bars. Makes the rack much more useful.

Scott,

Good point. Not to make you rummage through the pile of stuff (don't lose that rear air deflector or its brackets, or I'll have to kill you), but I may have unscrewed a couple. If you feel like it, let me know. Wish I'd had the ability to pull the wheels and some other stuff, but I think the guy at the tow yard had already given us a gift just letting "non owners" in with a vehicle and tools....big mistake with Millers - heh.

Thanks, others.

DougM

Nope, don't see anything like them. I see the locker switches, you're welcome to them of course. I'll wander down the street and borrow some roof rack screws from my neighbor's 40th, then we can figure out the size to order if you still need them. Do they just unscrew? I moved my cross pieces all the way back, too lazy to figure out how to remove them.

Hmm. OK, I'll PM the guys above - thanks all!!

DougM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom