Anyone from Austin TX?

phishtaco

Cincinnati

Just looking to get some info about the city ie..Where to stay, party blah blah...
My wife and some friends of ours are going to come down to the ACL Music Festival in Sept.

Dude, if you can't find a party in Austin, something is wrong.

Best place to go is downtown - look for 5th street (or is it 6th?) anyway, you can't miss it. Plenty of places to eat, drink and hang out. It's been a while since I've been there, but downtown was really the place to be.

You can also head out to Lake Travis during the day, for more fun. (and if you want to hit the nude beach, just look for "Hippy Hallow" - though I think that's more of a gay hangout than straight...let us know what you find out on that one... :flipoff2: )

I'm sure Patride will chime in, He's from there - probably knows all about Hippy Hallow, too.

phishtaco

Cincinnati

Cool...I guess I'm really just looking for what part of town to stay in with a cheap hotel and semi close to nice bars.

flintknapper

SILVER Star

phishtaco said:
Cool...I guess I'm really just looking for what part of town to stay in with a cheap hotel and semi close to nice bars.
I lived there for 17 yrs., does that count?

You can find hotels on I-35 near the river bridge that will leave you fairly close to downtown and 6th street. It won't be difficult to find a party.

I'd stay away from Hippy Hollow unless you're of a certain persuasion.

Ton's of good places to eat....just ask the locals for references and directions.

patride71

6th street area is a good "touristy" place to party, lots of bars and some restaurants.

south congress is a good area with more restaurants than bars.

probably no cheap hotels around downtown, but you could at a hotel or motel along I35, anywhere between 51st street exit and oltorf and not be too far from downtown.

lake travis is nice, but avoid hippie hollow unless you want to go hang out with nude gay men...no offense to swank. :flipoff2:

mmw68

CruiserCrap.com - pimping crap for your cruiser!

Yeah - I live here - PM me off line maybe I can help.

Funny story about Hippie Hollow: friend of mine, right out of HS and his best friend take their first road trip to Austin. They'd heard that HH was a "nude beach" but little else...they didn't know where it was (two young guys, mind you) so they drove around half the day stopping and asking people "Hey, how do you get to Hippy Hollow?" over and over again.

They finally get there, get out of the car and start walking to the beach area, and these two really big, really naked dudes come walking up the path at them...holding hands. Our heroes look at each other in surprise/dismay and run back to the car. :doh: After a little more investigation, they found out what it was all about...

flintknapper

SILVER Star

The thing about Hippie Hollow is that there are only a few places where you can even get down to the water. There is no beach per-se. It is mostly rock ledges with some cedar bushes scattered around.

If you look straight out from Mansfield Dam you can see it across the lake.
It used to be a good place to fish before it was inundated with nude hippies (which were very nice people).

Now-a-days......I'm told it is primarily inhabited by......well.....uhmmmm...others!

patride71

Jman said:
Oh, thay, I'll bet they did! ;) Nothing like "a little more investigation" :flipoff2: :D
yeah and he started out his story with "a friend of mine"...which means it was Swank, not his friend that was doing all of this "investigating".

tucker74

I'm a local as well ... got my 3-day passes to the festival last week as a matter of fact. Ping me if you need more info - south on 35 will be cheaper ... but not as nice. You really want to be around downtown - then you can walk to resturants and bars and catch the shuttle to the festival.

You're in for good times!

Tucker

madoc1

welcome to austin, you are in for atreat. if just for a few daya aacl you wont have time to scratch the surface of good fun. but sure will be fun trying!

Top Bottom