Anyone fitted a yanmar mech fuel pump to 1HD-FTE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Everyone,
So after ASTR killed my dreams of fitting an Isuzu 4HE1-T into my FJ45 (thanks to ASTR for working it out, so I didn't have to), I've been looking for a diesel to drop into it. I was really hoping to use an old mechanical 4 cylinder diesel like the 14B-T or 15B-FT but it seems that they are really hard to source and there is very little parts support now in Aus.

My thinking is that if I'm going to put in the effort to make the FJ45 a diesel, then I don't want to get to the point within 5-10 years where I can't get parts for engine maintenance. Been there done that.

In my view there is no point owning a Fj45 if you don't drive it through large puddles (windscreen depth) every now and then. And it would really ruin your day if the ECU got wet and you had to leave your custom FJ45 in the puddle. For this reason the 4D34 and 4M50 Mitsubishi and any of the other ECU controlled diesels don't make sense.

So, I'm looking for an all mechanical diesel swap and am wondering if anyone has tried to fit the Yanmar 6LPA-STP2 mechanical fuel pump to a 1HD-FTE? Or, is there another mechanical pump that can be swapped onto the 1HD-FTE?

The Yanmar is based on the 1HD-FT and puts out 311HP and 516 foot pounds, so the pump can deliver plenty of fuel.

If this can be done, I might consider putting one of these into a FZJ105 too.

Any experience with swapping a mechanical pump onto a 1HD-FTE would be appreciated. Or for that matter any diesel that was still in production in 2007 with outputs of at least 140 hp and 350 foot pounds.

Thanks in advance.

Have you searched on lcool?

I'm sure I've read about someone looking into fitting a mechanical ft pump to 1hdfte engine. Can't remember the outcome.

People have used yanmar pumps, but unless you are upgrading turbo a lot, it's massive overkill

I'm sure I've read about someone looking into fitting a mechanical ft pump to 1hdfte engine. Can't remember the outcome.

People have used yanmar pumps, but unless you are upgrading turbo a lot, it's massive overkill

I remember looking at the FT pump a year or so ago, but there was an issue with fitting it, but I can't recall what it was. I've just come across more info about the Yanmar engine, and the way it has been modified for marine use. I would like to be able to fit the pump as a first stage and then probably fit a twin turbo set up and exhaust brake as I get time to play with it.

Still waiting for a reg code for LCOOL.

Here is the problem with the two Toyota fuel pumps - note the difference in the mounting flange:
1HZ and 1HD-t:
1hd-t.png

1HD-FTE:
1hd-fte.png

1HD-FT
1hd-ft.png

Last edited:
Yanmar part # is 119775-51920 but its a denso pump.

What is "ASTR" ?

Ft-e has a four bolt flange and 25mm driveshaft. I have heard of the conversion being done but there's abit to be swapped out in the timing case. The yanmar pump itself isn't that much different to the standard 1hd-t/ft mechanical pumps. All run 12mm heads and the cam profiles look similiar. The yanmar pump is however calibrated higher 120cc's boosted 70cc's unboosted (from memory) and that's over 1000 shots.

Ft-e has a four bolt flange and 25mm driveshaft. I have heard of the conversion being done but there's abit to be swapped out in the timing case. The yanmar pump itself isn't that much different to the standard 1hd-t/ft mechanical pumps. All run 12mm heads and the cam profiles look similiar. The yanmar pump is however calibrated higher 120cc's boosted 70cc's unboosted (from memory) and that's over 1000 shots.
Thanks for confirming and the calibration info.

You can piece some info together from this link. Can you please keep this thread updated with relevant info as you find it? It will be a resource in the future.

1hd-t is 100cc per / 1000 stroke
1hz is 70cc per / 1000 strokes

Send it to an injection guy and get him to set your factory pump to the flow you want.
The 12mm will give you more fuel than you would want to feed to the 1hd-t.

100cc is good for 200hp roughly, maybe a little more.
a 1hz pump can get roughly 150hp to the wheels with a factory pump set correctly.

The denso pump can also be upgraded to run 13mm plunger (1hd-t runs 12mm)
1hd-ft pump and injectors run at a much higher injection pressure than 1hdt. If you are going to use 1hd-ft injectors, the pump would need to match

The denso pump can also be upgraded to run 13mm plunger (1hd-t runs 12mm)
1hd-ft pump and injectors run at a much higher injection pressure than 1hdt. If you are going to use 1hd-ft injectors, the pump would need to match
That's good to know, thanks. Do you know what the pressures are for each?

1hd-t is 100cc per / 1000 stroke
1hz is 70cc per / 1000 strokes

Send it to an injection guy and get him to set your factory pump to the flow you want.
The 12mm will give you more fuel than you would want to feed to the 1hd-t.

100cc is good for 200hp roughly, maybe a little more.
a 1hz pump can get roughly 150hp to the wheels with a factory pump set correctly.

The fuel quantity really isn't the issue in my mind - its just the stupid copper wires coming out of it, that you have to connect to a ECM/ECU.

Thanks for the fuel volume figures. In reality I won't be trying to get more than 175-180 HP or 500NM of torque out of the engine. Even with that the FJ45 unloaded will go sideways with very little right foot. It will make like a lot better when it is loaded up though.

The 1hd-t, ft and ft-e engines all run different injectors, all twin spring (duel pressure) with similiar opening pressures 180/300ish. The hd-t and ft are both fitted with Denso VE's and the ft-e with a Denso V4. The V4 will develop a higher peak injection pressure. As diesel fuel systems have develop so have the pressures the operate at, the latest common rail systems are running 2500 bar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom