Anyone find rear hatch gas struts cheap?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK, walking around the truck on deep snow this evening I banged my head a good one on the upper hatch, which was also not fully up. So I'm on the warpath to find replacement struts. The factory ones are obscene, but I once ran into this on my boat's sunpad struts and removed one to bring to NAPA. Ten minutes later I walked out with struts that were $13 apiece instead of $70.

Unfortunately, these are going to be a bit tougher as there's a bracket on one end. So, anyone go down this road and find an aftermarket replacement that works?? Pressurized struts like this are a pretty mature/stable 'technology' and all, so I'll stray from my "factory - only" policy just this once.

DougM

As long as your seals are good they are rechargeable. Some companies can even replace the seals.

We have gas springs recharged all the time for Motorhomes. We use "Suspa" and "Springlift" gas springs, but here is a site that provides the service.

www.lstechnologies.ca/

On my '97 the gas spring has a mounting brackets top and bottom that are integral with the spring. They are offset about 5/8", so the easiest thing to do would be replace them with originals, or have yours repaired.

It would be possible to "rig" up something else, but it wouldn't be worth all the trouble IMO.

Last edited:
Hey, good tip on getting them recharged/sealed. Something to have done while the trucks sit over Christmas.

DougM

i'll try that

Last edited:
sc40 said:
how do you get them recharged? where? thanks

Take another look at Flintknappers post ;)

Suspa and Stabilus are the two main brands I've found in the auto and furniture biz. http://www.mcmaster.com/ type "gas spring" and you'll get six pages of them. I bet we can find something there that'll work. I'd estimate the weight by setting a bathroom scale on the tailgate, and a support from the scale to the upper hatch between the strut mounts. A little geometry and we should have the force required. I might have to make mounting plates, or modify the existing mounts.

I posted on this a while back. The brackets make this problematic, otherwise it's $20/side max. NAPA sells a replacement but they came with the normal boltononeend/ballontheother...and the bolt wouldn't fit. If you can find the aforementioned bolt, any aftermarket strut of the right length/strength would work fine.

I gave up and ordered one from cdan.....

Doug, how much is it costing you to recharge / regas both ?

As stated previously, Stabilus and Suspa are the bigger OEM manufacturers we can get parts from.

I got mine from Stabilus, as a favor in return for a favor (for the dead ones in my SC400...RIP). As ScottM sez, yeah, the math would do the trick. What I did was buy one lame ass version from a local parts store and my pals at Stabilus replicated two just like it. (Nice to be able to do here in Detroit.)

I can ask them about the re-builds as suggested previous, and see what they think.

vatozone has them, about 29.00 if I remember, with the correct bracket. As for recharging, I have nitrogen tanks, hmmmmm.

I just got mine on E-Bay for $29.95 for the pair, with brackets, shipped to me. The seller is Infinitysource. Hope this helps.

I emailed that Ebay guy about the brackets and never heard back. Have you installed them and they fit, and work?

DougM

IdahoDoug said:
I emailed that Ebay guy about the brackets and never heard back. Have you installed them and they fit, and work?

DougM
I haven't recieved them yet. I'll post some pics as soon as I get them. They should be shipped today.

Sc400 Rip

96LX450 Quote:

What happened to the SC4? I have a '95 and love it.

My '95 and I shared many awesome times together. Won it on eBay a couple years ago, 90k miles, $8000...a re-po depot set up. Showed modest wear for the miles. Spent $$$ to bring back to original tune...

Just after July 4th, drove into a massive downpour on my Bridgestone RE91's, in those sweet ruts that trucks mash into the roadway. One second I'm going straight, next, sideways. Next, backwards. Next, ACROSS the median! Crunched into a minivan. :crybaby: I was most hurt... Made it okay to today, though, which is what counts. (Oh, I guess the SC was MOST hurt, then me!) Everyone else in the mini were bruised or ached. All very lucky.

I'd been looking for a TLC or LX for a while, knowing the SC was undriveable in the winter, so this just accelerated the plan.

Sigh! I still miss my sexy SC. But I don't/CAN'T get into any sort of trub with my Truckasaurus.

So now you know the rest of the story...

FB Fabworks said:
I just got mine on E-Bay for $29.95 for the pair, with brackets, shipped to me. The seller is Infinitysource. Hope this helps.

Part number?

Toyota Landcruiser NEW LiftGate Struts for Yr. '91-'96 Item number: 8018827077

Brand New Toyota Landcruiser Liftgate Struts for Year Model 1991-1996

You are bidding on a SET of 2pcs Toyota Landcruiser Liftgate Struts year model 1991-1996. Has your old original car struts wear out of gas and does not support your lids/hoods anymore? The original struts usually has life expectancy of 3yrs, as they leak out of gas every year, and needs to be replaced. This new set will give your cars 100% support. BUY HERE AND SAVE $$$!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Seller information
infinitysource ( 345)
Feedback Score: 345
Positive Feedback: 99.1%
Member since Oct-19-04 in United States

Read feedback comments
Add to Favorite Sellers
Ask seller a question
View seller's other items

These are parts of the ad on E-Bay. Hope this helps.

Fab,

I'm hoping these work out for you/us, but I finally got my response, which was that the Infinity ones are "strut only - brackets stay with the car's body..." and a bunch of broken english stuff after that. I'm going to the garage for a quick look but I don't think the bracket can be taken off for reuse - they're integrated.

DougM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom