anyone extended fj40 body & frame (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i love the rig on you tube of the fj40 turned into a fj45 with 4 doors (icon). that thing is amazing. however im not going to dump 180,000+ into one. aquala sells the 4 door body/tub/doors/tail gate for about 7g. how difficult is it to have the frame of a fj40 professionally / properly elongated? and put together. does not seem that big a deal.. sure new longer; brake lines, shaft, wires to rear etc. i have already had a tub off refurb done. seems like if i find a fj40 in good mechanical that suffers from rust body(solid frame) for about 7g +new 4 door body (aquala) + accessories 7g + paint and assemble 8g. im at 25g add fancy soft top and install vortec im still under 35g for something that will look (not perform) look very similar. if I'm fooling myself please tell me. if anyone here has done similar chime in. thanks

Another search term would be "4 door fj40". I know there have been some attempts at those. I think Volcanic Iceberg has a thread somewhere that gathers a few pics and links.

Hi Super 40
In the process of stretching a 55 frame for my 40-45 conversion, adding 12"= 118 WB however if done right it takes time and knowledge so you end up with a frame that is mechanically strong and straight. If you have the skills it is time if not that time will cost $. A 40 frame can be done just as easly however I chose to start with a 55 because of the extra strength factor and I had one available that had a clear vin number. As for the 25K to put it together not sure about that I always get in more than projections because of overruns but still possible depending on the running gear and finish. It is fun to plan for that special journey of ones dreams good luck and keep us posted on your progress... Best

47coeman you cant tell us all about it and not show some pics ....
this is where im coming from i have a 78fj40 i had ground up refurbished 18mo ago. it was to be the family off the beaten path deep woods/mountain camping. but its too tight/small for the 3 of us to travel in. plus gear of any kind. so im thinking a 4 door fj40 soft top would be more accommodating and similar build (headache factor and $). add a small off road trailer or roof rack and im good to go. I've looked into a fj60 &80 series but i just like the simplicity and options of the 40.

Last edited:
I'd like to hear from the folks that have put the aquala tub of their rig and those that have elongated their frame. Is it straight forward or are there words of wisdom to share that only come from having done one...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom