Anyone ever use a Tent Cot (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just curious if anyone had any expierence with these? Its more fitting to my budget that a roof topper.
You can check them out @
http://www.tentcot.com/
Thanks.

i like that alot
very intresting looks very familier to me.... im thinking a roof top tent i saw was blue in color i think this is the same design only theres was about $300 more

Cabela carries/d those. Looked at them. Kinda heavy. But yes, a decent option.

I have the double wide one I'm figuring out a roof mount for. It's very similar construction to the oasis roof tent.
The only downside of it is there is a bar splitting the 2 halves of the double wide (center part only). so it prevents one person from spreading out in the center unless you get a piece of plywood or something under it.

construction is really nice quality tho.

the thing though is that if you have one of these things, there really is no good reason to put it on the roof if you can open it up just as fast on the ground. No climbing etc. Not as safe for lions but I can live with that.

FT, this bar is this in the "long" direction or transverse? under the mattress, right?

I don't think theirs a mattress. I've been researching all morning. To my understanding its just like the regular cot with a type of canvass material streched tight to support you. I think I may order one from cabelas and check'm out. If I do I post picks and test it out.
Thanks for the replys
keep'm coming.

Ponce,
It's a double layer of that canvas material stretched across. You can add padding or sleeping bags and leave them in there, it will still fold up.

I also have the raincover, which I figure would be good added insulation for cold/heat.

The drawback to the 2x wide is that it is still bulky even folded up b/c it's 2x wider. Roof mounting would free up alot of space and packing hassles so there are good reasons. That's just an option tho, it flips open easy enough on the ground.
The medium size would be good if you are flying solo. Better packing size over the 2person. I think the regular small tentcot is just too narrow.

I'll try to post pics later, it's too hot right now!

well, the thing is supported by all its feet. So if you mount it on the roof you have to have a weight bearing surface the length of the cot or at least the length between the feet. that means serious roof rack and platform for the double.

It would work well to store the thing on the roof and swing it down to use it on the ground, but using it on the truck roof seems like more trouble than it's worth to me.

OTOH, I have rigged my trailer with a 4x8 on top so I could use it readily on that... :)

btw, are the "feet loops" perfectly flat on the bottom or are there 2 main contact points? If the former that could be trouble over uneven ground although I guess one could add a couple of "pads"

Btw, Cabelas has fixed shipping amount based on cost, so for something like this heavy, even with the size surcharge it would end up being way cheaper than the manuf web site.

pics further down the thread

Last edited:
don't you have to support the end "feet" of the double size?

Ah, the bear burrito!

Post pictures of how it works out or you.

M

you can get in through the ends, right?

First Toy,
Thanks for the reply. I'm contemplating maybe getting two deluxe models. One for me and the Mrs. Although that would make sunuggling difficult. But at leat that way when I'm going solo Idon't have to pack the double.
Where did you get your? I was hopping to find it locally so I could see it first hand. I guess I'll buy it through Cabelas.
Thanks Ponce.

Great design, but IMO I still like a tent for the fact of gear storage, changing of clothes, and so on. Looks like that would be a little cramped.

If I was camping out of the Cruiser this would work good for me. Quick set up at the end of a hard day or wheeling/exploring.

I think the advantage is quick setup, off-the-ground (so you dont need a flat, clear spot), cleanliness (esp. if it rains) great flow-thru venting.

Disadvantage is you can't stand in it (just sit up) and it doesnt pack nearly as small as a regular tent.

But it's pretty inexpensive, even for the double wide that I got and of good quality. If you find a good way to stow it, I dont see too much wrong with it. Maybe another good choice for consideration.

I think if you own a 80 or 100, I think the double-wide could slide in vertical and not take up much space. The med. one would be super easy to stow, small one looks a bit too narrow/unstable.

Mine isn't the bear burrito, This is the bear burrito!
16732938-S.jpg

I've been tempted by these tent cots before, but every time I come close to biting the bullet, they look kinda cramped. When I showed them to the :princess: the first thing she said was that she'd feel claustrophobic in one of these...
And it's true it does look much more crowded than a roof top tent. It's the low height that does this I think. So I'm still hesitating...

FT, can you open the ends and climb in that way?

I went to the sportsmans wharehouse yesterday and saw the standard model first hand. It was very well made and easy to set up. (It was in the box and they let me open it) It took less than 2mins, and that because I had to take some bubble wrap off the hinges. Both my wife and I crawled in @ separate times (standard model) and it was a little cramped. I think I could of slept comfortably with just my sleeping bag and pillow. I'm going to buy the double tommarow from thier Portland store. I'll post pics and sleep in it tommarow night if I have a chance.

Ponce said:
I went to the sportsmans wharehouse yesterday and saw the standard model first hand. It was very well made and easy to set up. (It was in the box and they let me open it) It took less than 2mins, and that because I had to take some bubble wrap off the hinges. Both my wife and I crawled in @ separate times (standard model) and it was a little cramped. I think I could of slept comfortably with just my sleeping bag and pillow. I'm going to buy the double tommarow from thier Portland store. I'll post pics and sleep in it tommarow night if I have a chance.

great, can you tell us if it's possible/comfortable to sit upright in these?

Also can you try to change your clothes inside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom