anyone ever tow a fzj80 with another fzj80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Found a good deal on a 96 with a blown head gasket. Was contemplating picking it up with a car dolly with my 94. Bad Idea?

yeah not an issue

20141101_164120.jpg

That is a cool picture. You probably have a little more power at sea level. I'm at 6000 feet. But I'm not in a big hurry. Did you have trailer brakes?

i did a 250 mile tow with my 96 pulling my 93....leave a lot of room in front of you and take your time....would not do it again unless I had to

Just because you can, does not mean you should. Well over the 5K rating of the trailer hitch, surprised You Haul rented you the trailer. If you were pulled over the fines are rather stiff. The other side is the danger you subject others on the road to. I saw a n Explorer get eaten by a boaat on a trailer when I lived in the Keys, was not pretty. It took out 3 other cars around it too. The brakes on that trailer are surge brakes, not the most reliable or efficient.

Do yourself a favor and rent a proper tow vehicle.

Just because you can, does not mean you should. Well over the 5K rating of the trailer hitch, surprised You Haul rented you the trailer. If you were pulled over the fines are rather stiff. The other side is the danger you subject others on the road to. I saw a n Explorer get eaten by a boaat on a trailer when I lived in the Keys, was not pretty. It took out 3 other cars around it too. The brakes on that trailer are surge brakes, not the most reliable or efficient.

Do yourself a favor and rent a proper tow vehicle.

Probably told UHaul he was towing a Honda Civic.

My buddy tows a fj40 crawler beast with his boosted 80. From SC to Penn. Every yr. For a event. I would never think about it but he says it does very well.

Thats funny Uhall would not rent me a trailer to pull with my fj60 ----5800 pounds to pull a 85 forerunner rolling chassis --no engine or trans---- 3400 .would only rent me a car dolly unless I had a full size 1 ton tuck or rented one of theirs. when they put landcruiser in there wonderful computer it thought it was a fj40.

I towed another '94 with my '94 on a tow dolly for about 700 miles. It was a dog going up grades but biggest problem were what I considered inadequate brakes. I also towed a '97 with my '94 on a U-haul tandem axle trailer for about 500 miles. The trailer had surge brakes. Even though more total weight, a definite improvement in braking and handling compared to the tow dolly. In either case, IMO you are pushing the limit of the towing capability of the FZJ80.

By the way, I told U-haul that I would be hauling a Corolla when I rented the trailer.

A few other advantages of using a trailer: You don't have to pull the rear drive shaft on the towed FZJ. Easy to back up a trailer whereas it is almost impossible to back up a vehicle on a tow dolly. A trailer comes equipped with tail lights whereas you have to rig up something on the back of the towed vehicle when using a tow dolly. And finally, a vehicle on a trailer is much more visible to passing traffic. I once had a guy clip the tow dolly wheel as he was passing me because he didn't see the wheel which extends out a ways.

Last edited:
Make sure the trailer brakes are working correctly. Surge brakes can work great. Borrow or buy used weight distribution hitch. They work work great with one on back

Car dolly as in two wheels up and two down?

Isnt this a no no for awd vehicles?

I've been considering this same thing over the last 2 days lol!

I have done it but no sudden maneuvers. If something pulls out in front, hope your trailer brakes and service brakes work, if they don't stop you just plan on hitting it straight on. If you try and swerve it might take you for a ride.

I would not, too much of a white knuckle experience. Rent a truck or phone a friend who has a truck. Can you afford the legal issues if you get into an accident because you were towing over the limit ? Or God forbid if someone was injured. Just not worth the risk IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom