Anyone ever see this kind of Pop top (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, I'm sorry if this is posted in the wrong area I'm new to the website just been lurking for a little while.

I'm interested in purchasing this 91 HDJ81 that's local to me, just a couple questions.

I've done a fair bit of research but haven't been able to find anything on this Runfun poptop. I was told the truck came from Australia, is this a poptop that is common in Australia? Has anyone ever seen one? How much will a top like this affect mpg?

The top pops up and then the cover slides over it and snaps in place all around the top.

Thank you,
Austin.
IMG_5351.JPG
IMG_5350.JPG

Looks like a clean truck. Haven't seen that type of pop top but I don't think you will have issues. The big thing is to get off your butt and make the purchase because if the price is reasonable it's not going to be on the market long.

Buy it. Looks cool.

Thanks guys! Yes from what I can tell it's a pretty clean truck and I feel that it's priced reasonably. Just haven't bought it yet as they are waiting for a part to arrive to fix it first. Guess a starter solenoid needed to be replaced? Not quite sure.

HDJ81 denotes Japanese domestic model.
The rear tyre carrier was not available on Australian models, but was on Japanese market models

wheels, and front bar look typical of Japanese aftermarket to me

The rear tyre carrier was not available on Australian models, but was on Japanese market models

Wow awesome thank you for that I didn't know. It's definitely got to be a Japanese market truck then.

runfun HDJ81.PNG

Did you buy it?
Funny, I think I tagged that truck about 2 years ago as being for sale in Chicago area on 1991 Toyota Land Cruiser HDJ81 Turbo Diesel ROOF TENT FJ60 HJ60 1HD-T ARB for sale: photos, technical specifications, description. Still appears to be for sale every time I tap on it. I've tried to research RunFun several times based on the images to learn more about it. Never found anything until this thread.
I've got an HDJ81 as well (Love it), same color to boot, and thought that would be very useful on top... Doesn't look like the cover breathes much, so hopefully it can go without it attached.
Does the RunFun sit right on the roof? It looks like it clamps to the rain gutter, but i'm interested what is between it and the roof? or if it just sits on the roof and is padded somehow on the bottom. Any pics of the design would be awesome. I'd consider fabbing something if it was a good idea. I'd prefer to buy one if it existed in the market and was a good design. I've got no rack, rails, etc. and pretty horrible clear coat fade up there, so this would get me sleeping up top, and allow me to put more inside where my bed currently sits...
Thanks for any info or pics!

View attachment 2248139
Did you buy it?
Funny, I think I tagged that truck about 2 years ago as being for sale in Chicago area on 1991 Toyota Land Cruiser HDJ81 Turbo Diesel ROOF TENT FJ60 HJ60 1HD-T ARB for sale: photos, technical specifications, description. Still appears to be for sale every time I tap on it. I've tried to research RunFun several times based on the images to learn more about it. Never found anything until this thread.
I've got an HDJ81 as well (Love it), same color to boot, and thought that would be very useful on top... Doesn't look like the cover breathes much, so hopefully it can go without it attached.
Does the RunFun sit right on the roof? It looks like it clamps to the rain gutter, but i'm interested what is between it and the roof? or if it just sits on the roof and is padded somehow on the bottom. Any pics of the design would be awesome. I'd consider fabbing something if it was a good idea. I'd prefer to buy one if it existed in the market and was a good design. I've got no rack, rails, etc. and pretty horrible clear coat fade up there, so this would get me sleeping up top, and allow me to put more inside where my bed currently sits...
Thanks for any info or pics!

Wow thanks for the link so cool being able to see what it used to look like, some changes since then for sure. I did end up buying it and have put 1000 killer miles on it in the few months of owning it. Actually listed it up for sale the other day on Craigslist and will list it on here when I have the time. Don't really want to sell it but with building a new shop it wouldn't hurt freeing up some cash.

The top is fiberglass built around a wooden platform best I can tell. Haven't had it off the roof yet but it appears the wooden structure is raised off the roof by 4-6 inches. It is attached to the rain gutter. The fabric doesn't breathe super well but it does have a few windows in it that once open do help it out. Here's a few pics of it as of lately because who doesn't like to see more pictures lol.
IMG_5692.JPG
IMG_5691.JPG
IMG_5690.JPG

Wow. thanks for the pics. What city Craigslist? Would you consider selling the top separately? I'm on the mobile web and can't see your location.

Wow. thanks for the pics. What city Craigslist? Would you consider selling the top separately? I'm on the mobile web and can't see your location.

You can find it listed on Spokane Washington Craigslist but it's located in Northwest Montana. I do not want to sell the top separate but thank you.

FYI, rear tire carrier was available in general markets but most if not all of those are LHD.

Cheers

It would SUCK in the wind...just say'n
so would a sprinter van..but this much less me thinks.

unless your talking bout the fabric which should easily be upgraded and made taut.
i like it but the engine is a no go for me..who wants the hassle of import parts..not me.

also i personally dislike turbos as they are filthy and rob an engine of its natural lifespan...
dislike diesels as well as they are overly complex and dirty.
i love the trucks platform though, very neat and exciting, great post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom