Anyone Ever Retrofit HMMWV 16.5" wheels to fit a FZJ80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

They're eight lug wheels, no?

honk said:
They're eight lug wheels, no?

Yeah, but you'd need new centers anyway since they have about 7.5" of BS(or something like that). Recentering hummer wheels w/ different bolt patterns and BS is not uncommon. Don't know if anyone has done it for an 80 though...

Search Pirate for more info...

Ary

Guy on Pirate, like Ary said do a quick search. There was a set for sale for a 80 at one time.

why? what is there to gain?

sc40 said:
why? what is there to gain?

One of my friends is looking to sell/give away some HMMWV wheels.. they are bead lock and should clear the caliper easy.. they just have an 8-bolt patern vice a 6-bolt that is FZJ friendly...

the backspacing on HMMWV wheels are so large.. that i was wondering if you could use an adapter that would go from the 6 lug of the Land Cruiser to the 8 lug of hte HMMWV wheels...

elum said:
One of my friends is looking to sell/give away some HMMWV wheels.. they are bead lock and should clear the caliper easy.. they just have an 8-bolt patern vice a 6-bolt that is FZJ friendly...

Are those split rims? I have a friend with a Hummer that has them, and they are a pain to balance.

They are 2-piece rims, meaning they come apart into two halfs. They are not the old "split rims" that were used in the 60's and 70's. I've heard a lot about using golf balls or BB's to balance large hard to balance tires. I had a set of 33s that I balanced w/ BBs and once I got above 5mph it was smooth as glass.

Never heard of someone using an adapter to make them fit, but it's more than likely possible...

Ary

yeah.. one reason why I'd rather use an adapter than weld in a new center piece is I don't want to have someone mess it up welding it.. either 1 having it turn out weak, or 2 having it not be centered... that backspacing on it as it is is way to much i'm thinking..

Stazworks Makes some slick two piece custom dual bead lock rims. He also makes custom centers for HMMUWV wheels if you want.
Personaly, I don't think 16.5 is a good wheel choice for an off road vehicle unless you're going to go through the expense and hassle of having beadlocks. Not first hand knowledge here, but many folks seem to have problems de-beading 16.5 inch tires when aired down.

BTW I think the Stazworks wheels are going to be the next wheels on my 80. :grinpimp:

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom