Anyone ever powdercoat the...... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone ever powdercoat the white top portion of the hardtop on an FJ40?

Just wondering if it's been tried. I don't know whether the heat will buckle it or not. Looks like I'm going to be doing some body work, etc on the 79 FJ40 and powdercoat in some places would sure increase the weathering resistance.

Some decent prep work and a some new quality paint will go a lot further....

Just my opinion.

Good luck!

-Steve

If im not mistaken you can only powdercoat metal. The top part of your hardtop stock is supposed to be fiberglass. If it was metali suppose it would be a great idea. you could tie stuff to the roof without worrying about it scratching to bare metal and rusting.

Oh, didn't realize it wasn't all metal.

Hmm, there goes that idea. lol

Is there a replacement headliner for the top? Who to go to?

Powdercoat will adhere well to other surfaces if they can handle the temperature. So far, well at least last I looked, nobody has developed a lower temp. curing powder. So, you're pretty much stuck with paint.

My 2 cents.

Cool.

I'm trying to decide what to tackle first, looks like the frame is in excellent shape but the body might come off so powedercoat can go on.

I've already decided to call this thing moneypit #2.....and it may quickly get upgraded to moneypit #1. lol

PBG is right, you can powdercoat anything that will conduct electricity. Dunno 'bout fibberglas. I had some extensive work to do on mine, both inside and out, after the glass work I used a urethane catalyzed primer and acrylic enamel and so far, so good.
IIRC, powdercoar takes 400*-500*, I don't think fibberglas will withstand that.

JMO

Ed

It's fiberglass - go to a boat chandlery and get gelcoat. Ask them about procedures. You can get a nice hard surface just like a boat hull has and it's not that hard to do. Toxic but not difficult.

Just a tip - Before planning to powdercoat frame etc. call your powdercoater & find out what size his booth is. Many have booths too small for frame & other large items.

Depending on how you plan on using your vehicle, painting they frame would be easier to touch up (damage, or mods) then powder coat.

Just my two cents.

Man you guys are great. So many other forums would've already doomed me for not knowing it was a glass top. lol Thanks!

I'll probably be gelcoating the top sometime soon. It's really in good shape but it's got some light spots.

As for the powdercoat, I've already got a guy here ready to do the frame and another guy ready to soda-blast the body. Going to cost $350 for the powdercoated frame and a couple hundred or so to soda blast the body. I'm like a little kid, it's so exciting to be doing something new rather than the typical turbo mustangs I'm used to.

Also, anyone here familiar with putting an LS-1 into a 40. This one's already got a small block chebbie, thought it would be cool to go fuel injection with an LT1 or LS1. What headers? Block huggers? Ramhorns?

TIA, guys.

BTW, hope to have pictures of the new beast up tomorrow.

wow you learn something new everyday.lol Didn't know pickups had metal tops. Well uh i guess their better then !

Well it doesn't sound like you are goin back to stock...so my suggestion for the headliner...is to 1 of 2 things. Go buy some duarbak or rhino liner or something like that and paint it on the inside...looks great and won't come off. Or since that stuff is expensive you can buy regular paint(you may be able to find a rubbery paint) add some sand to it to get the texture and then paint it on. Inexpensive easy to do and it won't come down. Good Luck

Oh yeah..if you're gonna trail ride this rig then I wouldn't powder coat it. You scratch it, it's hard to touch up powder coat. Several layers of primer and several layers of black rattle can rustoleum will stand up a lot longer and better, plus it's a breeze to put on. Just my 2 cents

The top is a double layered fiberglass with foam between the layers.

CruisinTiger said:
Well it doesn't sound like you are goin back to stock...so my suggestion for the headliner...is to 1 of 2 things. Go buy some duarbak or rhino liner or something like that and paint it on the inside...looks great and won't come off. Or since that stuff is expensive you can buy regular paint(you may be able to find a rubbery paint) add some sand to it to get the texture and then paint it on. Inexpensive easy to do and it won't come down. Good Luck

Oh yeah..if you're gonna trail ride this rig then I wouldn't powder coat it. You scratch it, it's hard to touch up powder coat. Several layers of primer and several layers of black rattle can rustoleum will stand up a lot longer and better, plus it's a breeze to put on. Just my 2 cents

I'm not going to trail ride it, just make a damn nice cruiser out of it.

BTW, on the touchup problem. On my street car most of the underside components are powdercoated. When I have a scratch or something hits one of those items I have found that the Appliance Epoxy paint sold at Lowes and Home Depot works great for touchup. It takes a full day to cure, but once it does it is a hard glossy coating that really resists scratching well (sometimes better than the powdercoat). Just something I've learned and thought I'd share. Works great on roll cages too!

As for the resto, I'm not going back stock, but I want a stock look if that makes sense. If there is a correct headliner, I'd like to go back with that. But if it's a functional component that would be better upgraded, or could be upgraded without standing out like a sore thumb...I'll do that. For instance, (I sound like a repeater box, but it's where most of my experience is enveloped) my street car looks bone stock except for a parachute hanging off the back. I can cruise down the road and nothing looks fishy, interior looks all stock, stock body, it's all hidden underneath. I guess I should say I like the subtle, stealth look....and most of the time that means stock looking. I've seen many rigs on this site done like that. In fact, I have yet to see a rig on here I didn't like. You guys really know your stuff, and I hope to learn from you guys more than anything.

Thanks again!

dfmorse said:
The top is a double layered fiberglass with foam between the layers.

I think I'm going to try the marine gel coat on that when I get around to it. What has been your best experience with the top?

I believe marine gel-coat is the proper coating for the top...not auto paint.

When I was going to restore my top (never did because truck became a trail rig) I did a lot of research into gel-coating and fiberglass restoration. If I were you, I would do the same, there is TONS of marine info on fiberglass and how to work with it out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom