Anyone ever notice after braking hard the tranny feels like it’s in neutral? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Like the subject says... friend with 97 6 cylinder had to stomp on the brakes and then when she gave it gas it didn’t go. She said it felt like it was in neutral. After fiddling with it (shifter) for a bit, it started working again. If the brake booster lost vacuum, could the tranny do that? I’m more familiar with FJ60, jeeps and my GX470. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Any other ideas?

Is that repeatable or was it a one time thing? I am not aware of the transmission being controlled by vacuum, but I don't have a 97 either nor an auto.

I would personally wonder if maybe the engine/tranny mounts are flexing so much that everything moved forward making the warn out shifter be in neutral.

It was one of those emergency braking situations when a skateboarder or someone ran out in front of her, so she hasn’t repeated it 😊 but her shifter is kind of funny in my opinion. Mostly, it just seems like her shift indicator is off by a notch but she deals with that every day so I doubt it’s something that simple. I was wondering if the 97 had vacuum operated transmission. So if the mounts are worn it could make her shifter dislodge?

I don't have that transmission but I don't think there were any toyotas in 97 or beyond that had vacuum operated transmissions but hopefully someone will jump in and correct me if I am wrong.

I think everything flexes more on an older vehicle, motor/tranny mounts flex more or break, causing linkages to be out of adjustment for that position. Or her linkages could just be warn from all these years of driving the hard stop put them out for a moment or two until she moved the shifter.

I have had steering stall or slow an engine enough to impact vacuum, but not braking.

I know on most automatics the shifter one slot forward of D finds N and anything could have hit it or it just easily shifted as the little button on the side of the shifter could be warn out, or doesn't spring all the way back after depressing it and so it never fully catches. lots of possibilities on older vehicles.

Linkages do get worn out. If I am too fast putting into park, the key will not come out of the ignition.

Awesome. I’ll check that out and post up if I see something that fixes it

Turns out the problem was that it was a little low on tranny oil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom