Anyone ever have out of spec 2F valve springs cause an issue? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

John Smith

In the garage
SILVER Star
Threads
Has anyone ever had out of spec valve springs on a 2F cause them any issues?

I've measured the height of valve springs from 3 different 2Fs I've taken apart and none meet the FSM spec. All fail the height test, but certainly needed a valve spring compressor to remove. So they have plenty of spring left. None of these engines experienced valve float or diminished compression due to out of spec springs. I also don't see valve float really being an issue on an engine I'm not going to rev over 3K rpm. I have only measured the spring height, and don't have a tool to perform the spring strength test in the FSM.

I'm putting back together a 250k mile 2f out of a FJ60 that has already been rebuilt once. I have no record of when, but it was definitely rebuilt with oversize pistons. The pistons, cam, lifters, bearings, etc all look fine. My thoughts are that new valve springs may just put unnecessary wear on the old cam, and this old tractor motor is probably going to be just fine running the old springs. This engine had great compression test numbers before I pulled it apart to check everything.

did you measure the spring pressure at installed closed and open heights to see how that spec measured against the FSM

To answer your question John: no.

I think 'no' is the answer, as well. My '77 2F springs were off in height by the tiniest amount, but the shop didn't bother to pressure-test them. The engine runs great. As you said - a low RPM tractor motor just doesn't need that much spring power. I would think you could use a spring-type bathroom scale and a block of wood to casually test their compression strength, if desired.

Stock Landcruiser valve springs are rated at 59.5 to 71.6 lbs, and coil bind at .440" inches of compression. Downey use to sell (past tense) Landcruiser valve springs rated at 120 lbs., and did not coil bind until .570" of compression. I really don't know if these are still available. They were Pioneer #053432700, which is now owned by DEA Products, if anyone is interested in doing the investigation work???

Stock Landcruiser valve springs are rated at 59.5 to 71.6 lbs, and coil bind at .440" inches of compression. Downey use to sell (past tense) Landcruiser valve springs rated at 120 lbs., and did not coil bind until .570" of compression. I really don't know if these are still available. They were Pioneer #053432700, which is now owned by DEA Products, if anyone is interested in doing the investigation work???

:clap: That's some first-rate tech there Jim. Thanks!:cheers:

Interesting.

What's the advantage to the higher spring rate springs?

Interesting.

What's the advantage to the higher spring rate springs?
To prevent valve float with higher lift cams, and the additional spring compression value was because the stock springs bind at .440" and the Downey cam lifted .440" (could bind the springs).

Got it. Great info.

Old thread bump...

My buddy and I were doing a valve job on my 1985 2F engine today, and we noticed that the intake valve spring on cylinder #4 was loose, even when valves were adjusted to spec. None of the other springs felt "loose" like that one did. I have another buddy @SAH bringing a couple of 2F springs to Nashville next week, and we are going to swap one of those on the #4 valve.

Interesting point also is that when I bought this rig, the PO said that the #4 cylinder had low compression, while all others were good numbers and consistent.

Any thoughts?

Old thread bump...

My buddy and I were doing a valve job on my 1985 2F engine today, and we noticed that the intake valve spring on cylinder #4 was loose, even when valves were adjusted to spec. None of the other springs felt "loose" like that one did. I have another buddy @SAH bringing a couple of 2F springs to Nashville next week, and we are going to swap one of those on the #4 valve.

Interesting point also is that when I bought this rig, the PO said that the #4 cylinder had low compression, while all others were good numbers and consistent.

Any thoughts?

A loose enough spring would certainly be prone to leak and reduce compression in that cylinder.

A loose enough spring would certainly be prone to leak and reduce compression in that cylinder.
based on the compression number (around 20 something), I'm running on 5 cylinders! LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom