Anyone ever have a problem after washing motor? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.yomama.net
Hi all,

Last Thursday while I was washing the outside of the truck I popped the hood and noticed the usual dust and dirt. The vehicle had sat at least an hour before I had hosed the engine off. Let it sit about another hour after words to dry. Started it up, drove it in the garage, next day drove it to the bus stop, no problem. Coming home from the bus stop the cruiser developed a misfire. Hooked up the ODBII tool and it said cyclinder 4 misfire. Pulled the plug (couple droplets of water on the plug wire in the cylinder) and it looked as if it may be cracked, replaced it, started her up again at first it ran good, then mis fire started again, checked ODBII again, this time cyclinder 6 misfire. Pulled that plug and looked as though it was cracked as well, rather then screw around I just replaced all 6 plugs, so far a short trip last night and the morning drive to the bus stop were smooth.
Questions; Has this ever happened to anyone else after washing the motor?
I pray it is not so, but is there a chance that I may have cracked the head?

Thanks,

Yomama

Re: Anyone ever have a problem after washing motor

Common problem momma - that's why we don't do it.

Next time, use one of those syphon guns and use windshield wiper fluid being carefull where you spray it. Because of it's contents it dries up real fast and does a good job.

I prefer no washie washie at all though.

That's interesting, I washes me motor often (easier to admire the blower :G ) and maybe I've been lucky. I got the distributor wet once, that's it. I will be more careful :ugh:

&nbsp:Dan :beer:

I've had similar problems before, but only when spraying on a hot engine, no-no! Common in these situations is water in the dist., shorting cracked plug-wires and connections, and damage to plugs.

However, I wheel and I wash my junk AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. IMO a bunch of crud built up on the engine may look 'tough' or whatever but there's a greater chance of that crud making it's way into the engine, and when you have to work on it, it's a PITA. I keep my junk as clean as possible but certainly don't avoid dirt and mud, just wash it off afterwards. Of course, I am a tad anal about my vehicles but...

I learned as a young lad to always leave the motor running when pressure washing. That way if your in a car wash you don't have to listen to the owner b$%@& when it won't start and you have his bay tied up. Also, things don't crack with the water circulating; but, just like the old saying goes - watch where you put your wand.
Bill

My truck never enjoys having the engine bay washed.

It always sputters and chokes and makes funny noises for a few minutes afterwards, even when I do keep the distributor dry (well, mostly...). It always gets better though, so i'm not too worried.

I succumbed to the urge to clean the engine the "easier" way once, and took at it with a garden hose. Can't remember now if it was hot or cool (probably more likely cool), but I will always remember how much regret I felt as I drove up and down the road chugging like Idontknowwhat and wondering if it would ever run properly again.

Dont know exactly what caused it, but concluded that I would clean it with sponges, towels, and other less wet methods in the future. Havent ever done it again.

I don't know what it is with these newfangled engines but I regurly wash the F with a garden hose/pressure washer, never had a problem. Sure it stumbles, but all F's do that anyway :D. I always thought that if the engine is cool, but running you are good to go? I have to wash my atv with a pressure washer to get all the cow $h1T off of it, I just let it cool down and then let it idle while I take 2400 psi to it :D.

Ya, we don't know how nice we got it. We had a 37 Pontiac with a straight 8 that had a hood you opened from both sides (hinged down the middle). Every time it rained you had to open the hood and dry around the plugs before even dreaming of trying to start it.
Bill

Ya, we don't know how nice we got it. We had a 37 Pontiac with a straight 8 that had a hood you opened from both sides (hinged down the middle). Every time it rained you had to open the hood and dry around the plugs before even dreaming of trying to start it.
Bill

Photoman, sure that's a sad story and all but it really just calls into question how the heck old are you and also calls for some one upmanship? I mean are you really old enough to remember a 37 Pontiac daily driver that you kept outside in the rain? The oldest regular transport family car I can remember is a 57 Studebaker. Of course, times were much tougher then. The studebaker was found in a barn on a property we bought, started with a screwdriver and I remember vividly looking down at the asphalt whizzing by through the rear floor boards. If I jumped down there my dad would yell at me to "Get off that bloody floor before your foot goes through it". Seemed like overkill to me but I would get up and lie on the rear window ledge to placate him. :banana:

Simon,

LOL............Parents over-react sometimes don't they?

When I was a kid, we had a 47 Chrysler Windsor Straight 8 with "Fluid Drive" It had suicide doors in the rear and a HUGE back seat. My parents used to like to take us to the drive-in theatre in it because of the "sofa" in the back :G

I'm probably not as old as some here but, we were very poor and would get these really old hand me down cars from relatives. Also, they did not make cars through the WWII years. I learned to drive on that car which had a three speed on the floor, a separate box that was the heater under the dash on the passenger side, and the starter you had to press with your foot beside the gas petal. To add to the lineup before your car we had a 48 Chevy with the venerable vacuum shift, a 50 Ford flat head 6 all primer - cool :eek:, a 50 Dodge with a weird auto/standard transmission, a 50 Olds with a Rocket V-8, and I had just about every year Chevy from 53 on. Am I rambling, wheres that Geritol! :dunno: Your story was great! Brought back memories. Had a 58 Chevy - went to climb in the back with a date - her foot went through the floor to the ground - great impression - glad it was ladies first! :G
Bill

Man there is a big age gap here! :eek:
When I think cars that old I think grandparents, car museums and cars around the time my '50 IH Farmall was built. Waaaay to old for me to even comprehend. :G

Dang - we got Photo who probably goes back to like 1907 and we got Cruisin who we know still plays with his marbles (when he can find 'em.)

Shees! Glad some regular folks like me showed up. :flipoff2:

Junk,

It's nice to know that you're regular. Sometimes I find that I have "issues" about the "potty" What is your secret? :-*

Junk,
It's nice to hear your regular. When I was born back in ought seven we had to use prune juice.
Bill

Semlin and Photoman,

Nice stories.  Since this is the reminiscing hour and the first liar doesn't stand a chance, I'll tell one more....

We had a pre-War sedan (don't remember what it was, probably an old Ford...) and were driving through Southeast Texas over the Christmas holidays. Dad always picked up hitchhikers and there were 2 soldiers thumbing a ride south late at night. About an hour after we picked them up it started to rain and in Texas the term for a hard rain is "like a cow pissin' on a flat rock."  Anyway, the old Ford's vacuum wipers gave out around midnight and we still had a long way to go.

Dad found the horizontal rod underneath the dash that controlled the wipers. All of us, Mom, my brother, and the 2 Army soldiers took a turn upside down in the center of the front seat, shoving that rod back and forth to keep the windscreen clean.  We drove all night, a little light headed, but we made it.

-B-

I believe that would be a "flat rock"

I enjoy "old guy" stories. My dad doesn't ever tell me anything cool. Continue...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom