Anyone else skipped at red lights in their 80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

offroadkid

GOLD Star
Threads
I've noticed that in both of my 80's, I get skipped at certain red lights if I'm 1st in line. Does this have something to do with my wheelbase? Or is it just a coincidence, and the lights have a problem? Anyone else experience this?

That's weird because a month ago I was taking my daughters boyfriend home and we were the only ones on our side of the intersection and I swear we sat there for ten minutes waiting but it wasn't until after someone pulled up along side me we got a green.

Yeah, If someone pulls up behind me, it will trigger it. I got skipped 3 times today, before I made sure no one was coming and went through the intersection! Here in California, you can see the cuts in the pavement where the sensors are, and I'm sure I'm sitting on them. ???

I have heard of stories about how aliens abduct 80's and put a chip in them to make them invisable to traffic lights. Until now, I have never believed it. :flipoff2:

... could it be that the 80 is perfectly balanced between axles ?? Nawww eh ...

I get the red light thing as well sometimes ... Not a biggie though . Not to offend anyones safety conscience , but I look both ways .. for traffic and cops , and then carefully slide thru . Life seems too short to have to sit at some light tolerating the retarded logic of whom ? .. a civil engineer ?

Attitude must be an abusive stemming of my profession . No wonder our rates are going up ... ::)

[color=555555]T[/color][color=2E3136]T[/color][color=555555]Y[/color][color=2E3136]Y[/color][color=555555]L[/color][color=2E3136]L[/color][color=555555]E[/color][color=2E3136]E[/color][color=555555]R[/color][color=2E3136]R[/color]

Reason in WA for getting skipped is that the sensor pads are a magnetic pickup. Too much lift and you don't trip the magnet. I was fine at stock height, but with OME heavy and 33's it's a crapshoot.

Now that I think about it I have the same exact problem. Every day on the way home, this one light everyday. It gets really annoying.

well, guys, the solution is simple: go back to stock height and send us your lift parts and tires so that we can try it too...
gotta spread the annoyance...
E

It happens to me all the time, thought it was just my truck!! I also don't trigger the sensor at certain taco bell drive thrus, they told me it's the lift. Oh well, the price we pay!!!

I never thought about the sensors being magnetic! I always thought they sensed the weight. Having the lift makes sense! I don't think we have the same problem with our Corolla. ;)

I used to have to swing the kickstand down on my motorcycle at certain lights to get it to trigger. Maybe you could rig a piece of rebar to swing down and trigger the sensor. Hmm, I'll need a pulley, some bailing wire and that roll of 100MPH tape to complete the job :)

Traffic signal sensors are basically MADs (magnetic anomoly detectors) buried in the road. There is a wire/coil underground that forms an inductive loop. When a car or truck goes over the loop, it disturbs the RF field that's generated and sends a signal to the traffic control system. All that's required is a large mass of metal.

Bikes sometimes don't trip the signal becuase they don't have sufficient mass, but I would think a cruiser would have plenty, even if it is lifted a few inches. But if it really bugs you, you can just put a large permanent magnet under your truck, and it should do the trick.

Tom

I don't have this problem with my cruiser because it's stock height but I did have this problem with my bike. The guys in my bike club told me that whenever this happens, just rev your engine and it's supposed to increase the magnetic field your bike puts out.

I never actually tried it so I don't know if they were just BSing me or not. Someone would always pull behind me or I would just give a good check of my surroundings and go through it. I guess that's why most bikers are always revving the h3ll out of their engine at stop lights. :p

I've never heard anything about that, reving about ur engine for a bigger magnetic field? It sounds like a bunch of crap to me.

My father-in-law thinks that when he flashes his high-beams, it makes a difference. I don't think so!

What are these red lights? I don't think we have any in Idaho. ;) :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom