Anyone else going to Overland Expo West? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We're planning on leaving that thur after work and attending the show on Friday. Then off to Vermillion cliffs on Friday eve (only two hours away), stay sat night, then return home on Sunday. I'll be towing the camper.

Mind a tag along
We're planning on leaving that thur after work and attending the show on Friday. Then off to Vermillion cliffs on Friday eve (only two hours away), stay sat night, then return home on Sunday. I'll be towing the camper.
Mind a tag along? (I'll drive my self) Maybe just for the ride out on Thursday, thinking Claire and I might try and camp on site.

Sounds good Ron. Can you buy one night of camping?

Sounds good Ron. Can you buy one night of camping?
I don't think so. Looks like $190 for three nights of camping first come first serve, but guests under 17 get in free.

Yup, gonna be interesting with two dogs!

I’ll be there! Leaving San Antonio next Friday and plan to camp near the south rim of the Grand Canyon 4 nights before heading to flagstaff where I’ll be staying and camping at the event. From there I’ll be heading down to Sedona to camp another 4-5 nights before making my way back to Texas. We’ll see how my old bones hold up for nearly 3 week, but if I’m going to make the long drive out there….

I’ll be traveling solo so I’m absolutely up to meeting up with anyone else that’s going or camping in the area(s).

We got a better idea of our departure. We'll be heading out of ABQ this Thur around 4:30pm and heading to Pine Flat Campground, West space #22 . We'll be checking out of this CG Fri morning and heading to the Expo on Friday. If we're taking the camper, then we'll need to park it at another campground, possibly here: 35.07482, -111.588673, Priest Draw Free campground

Sat morning we might visit some friends in Flag, then head to Vermillion Cliffs and check out the Wave and whatever else we want to explore. I think we're heading home on Monday but not quite sure just yet. We will try to find dispersed camping outside of Vermillion national monument sat and sun nights unless we like the organized campgrounds inside.

Use Freecampsites.net to find a primitive, free camp site but we'll be arriving late and didn't want to hunt for a camp spot so we chose the Pine Flat CG. There are other camp sites long 89A but they're filling up fast on recreation.gov website.

EDIT: we'll be returning home on Sunday night.

1632188105488.png

Last edited:
We got a better idea of our departure. We'll be heading out of ABQ this Thur around 4:30pm and heading to Pine Flat Campground, West space #22 . We'll be checking out of this CG Fri morning and heading to the Expo on Friday. If we're taking the camper, then we'll need to park it at another campground, possibly here: 35.07482, -111.588673, Priest Draw Free campground
I plan to head over to the area Thursday afternoon and hope to arrive before dark.

Looks like all reserve-able sites within Pine Flat Campground, West are booked. So I will see if there are any FF left by the time I arrive and set up accordingly. Otherwise, I may try this spot (Pumphouse Wash) that I found via Freecampsites.net that Ali provided. Here is the link to that camp area:

Free Camping Near You | Go Camping for Free! - https://freecampsites.net/#!38555&query=sitedetails

If that fails, then I will just drive the area using GAIA to make sure I don't go on private property until I find a place to camp.

Ali, I will monitor 146.400 until I go to sleep and in the morning. So if you arrive late and we don't talk Thursday night, I will plan to swing by your site around 8 am Friday morning. Then will follow you to find a place to drop your trailer before we head to the shuttle parking area in our trucks.

I plan to camp Friday after the event and head back to the ABQ area Saturday morning.

See you all then.

Last edited:

Sat morning we might visit some friends in Flag, then head to Vermillion Cliffs and check out the Wave and whatever else we want to explore. I think we're heading home on Monday but not quite sure just yet. We will try to find dispersed camping outside of Vermillion national monument sat and sun nights unless we like the organized campgrounds inside.

Use Freecampsites.net to find a primitive, free camp site but we'll be arriving late and didn't want to hunt for a camp spot so we chose the Pine Flat CG. There are other camp sites long 89A but they're filling up fast on recreation.gov website.

EDIT: we'll be returning home on Sunday night.
Hey Ali, any more specific plans for Vermilion Cliffs? You can't hike the wave without a permit. There are a few other regions of the park, but I'm not sure what each offers.

Right now my only plans are to leave here at 0700 Friday and get Christian there to join his Rubicon EP gang. I may or may not do expo Friday because I'm planning to join some work friends for food and/or beverages that afternoon. If I do Expo Friday, I may join you the rest of the weekend, if I can find you.

I'm still trying to figure out the hiking situation up there. Permits are first come first serve so I have no idea if we'll be able to pull one. At the very least this trip could serve as a scouting mission of sorts then return next month.

I'm still trying to figure out the hiking situation up there. Permits are first come first serve so I have no idea if we'll be able to pull one. At the very least this trip could serve as a scouting mission of sorts then return next month.
For the wave, from what I've read, they do lottery permits through Rec.gov and they hold some for day-before issue out of the Kanab Utah BLM field office. Sounds very hard to get because they issue so few. I tried the lottery once and planned to do it every month ($10) until I got one, but quit since my year went to s*&t.

I'll try to catch up with you tomorrow and see what's going on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom