Anyone dump a 3B into an FJ55 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiser_guy

Out of Africa / North Africa
Threads
Website
join-hands-for-hope-helping-people-help-themselves.mailchimpsites.com
I'm considering putting a 3B into the '76 FJ55 I'm restoring with my daughter. Has anyone done such a thing before? I'm guessing it should perform like a BJ60 as weight is similar.

i'd say so, and who knows (certainly not me) the gearbox's may bolt up :D ..............

i'd go with it, if 6cyl toyota diesels weren't readily available in australia

I would only consider this if you have a full doner 3B vehicle avail with the assorted crap and the diesel knowledge to go with it. From your previous posts I think you have the knowledge but the vehicle? Nothing in the world wrong with any F series motor. For my money a bird in the hand is a better deal.......You can make it all work and I doubt it would be that hard. I think the 55 weighs less than a 60 series. I am just not that impressed with the 3B or the B series in general. If you were going with an H I would be all for it. IF the F series motor is shot and IF you have a full B driveline with all the crap then I would consider it. If the F series driveline is working or if you are missing parts on the B drive line I would not mess with it.

No donor vehicle available (too expensive to get) but I do have access to a diesel 'Cruiser graveyard and two fully operational BJ60's as well as a 3B engine in my garage. The one BJ60 came with an H42 tranny, the same (I'm guessing) as the FJ55 with the exception of output shaft sizes. I also have a bellhousing for 3B to H42/H55 in my garage as well.
I've always been lead to believe that the 3B is a more bullet proof engine than the 2H and the power is not significantly different.
Am I mistaken on the similarities of the FJ55 H42 tranny and the 3B H42 tranny?
The FJ55 is a '76 model year.

the 2h had some head cracking problems in australia, but they run for a while well maintained. the 3b's do have a bullet proof rep, but oddly it was the h series that got toyota it's good rep in australia, H, 2H, then by the 1hz, everyone expected big things, and in australia the 1HZ is considered the best offroading engine, reliability wise

Put a v8 in it. Vroooomh

I am starting on this within the month. I bought a BJ60 about a year ago. Body isn't worth %^&$-found a beautiful 55 just sitting there in my town for like 3 yrs. "relatively" perfect condition...GREAT! :-D If anyone is still watching this post reply as I'd like to hear if anything came to fruition, or what troubles I may run into. Also for a personal FYI waht is the GVW of the 55 vs. the 60?

Poo on the V8 :-(

fj803fe said:
I am starting on this within the month. I bought a BJ60 about a year ago. Body isn't worth %^&$-found a beautiful 55 just sitting there in my town for like 3 yrs. "relatively" perfect condition...GREAT! :-D If anyone is still watching this post reply as I'd like to hear if anything came to fruition, or what troubles I may run into. Also for a personal FYI waht is the GVW of the 55 vs. the 60?

Poo on the V8 :-(

It's up and running c/w turbo. I think there is a post in the '55 section under "Roof swap" with photos of the finished truck. Where are you located? The finished truck is in British Columbia. The same project is now under way with a '67 FJ45LV!!

Problems... nothing major. The most work was on the body as I found the engine swap relatively easy just mating the 3B with the FJ55 tranny/transfer.

cruiser_guy said:
It's up and running c/w turbo. I think there is a post in the '55 section under "Roof swap" with photos of the finished truck. Where are you located? The finished truck is in British Columbia. The same project is now under way with a '67 FJ45LV!!

Problems... nothing major. The most work was on the body as I found the engine swap relatively easy just mating the 3B with the FJ55 tranny/transfer.
I am in Colorado. What about engine mounts? bolt in???? As I have both frames is it necessary to swap out mount frame rail brackets?

I am swapping everything in, including the H55F of the BJ.

fj803fe said:
I am in Colorado. What about engine mounts? bolt in???? As I have both frames is it necessary to swap out mount frame rail brackets?

I am swapping everything in, including the H55F of the BJ.

I fabbed new engine mounts that I tapped and bolted to the frame for test fit and then welded for permanence. You will also need to decide how to support the back of the engine combo. I used a cut down version of the BJ60 mount as the FJ55 frame is significantly narrower. Using the H55F you will need to deal with e-brake issues too (I used a BJ60 tranny housing and input shaft with the FJ55 guts and transfer case), either a driveshaft brake kit from Spector for the split case or a '81 or newer '40 series rear or????

cruiser_guy said:
I fabbed new engine mounts that I tapped and bolted to the frame for test fit and then welded for permanence. You will also need to decide how to support the back of the engine combo. I used a cut down version of the BJ60 mount as the FJ55 frame is significantly narrower. Using the H55F you will need to deal with e-brake issues too (I used a BJ60 tranny housing and input shaft with the FJ55 guts and transfer case), either a driveshaft brake kit from Spector for the split case or a '81 or newer '40 series rear or????
I am thinking 80 series axles as there is a rolled one in town. Has factory elec lockers too :-D Just found out yesterday so I am a bit over excited-I don't even know if it was just wrecked and under insurance control or what.

Thanks-big help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom