Anyone done this on their tub swaps? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am leaving on sat for my 11 day elk hunting trip, and am trying to finish the cruiser in time. But I need to cut the rear of my tub to get my doors to fit. I have a '71 tub aon my '78 cruiser. So I have to cut a 1/2 inch by 3/16ths notch out of the tub to make it fit. Just trying to figure out which tool to use. Partoff wheel..... rotozip... help......!!!!!

thanks

Ryan

Amby doors should fit without modification as long as you have the top made for the amby doors.

Kevin

The tub is different for the ambulance doors. The doors are flush with back on the ambulance doors and the early small doors and tailgates fit on the outside. The tub is molded just like the top is molded on the ambulance door models. Plus if your using the stock tire carrier it's on the wrong side. This can be done, but it's not just drill some holes and bolt it on. To do it right you can to reshape the tub to match the top and then change to a tire carrier on the left side.

John

I got ride of the tire carrier cause I didn't want it going thru the tub. I am going to build a rear frame mounted tire carrier this winter. We took some 1/2 inch square tubing and ripped it down to 3/8 by 1/2 and I just need to cut the tub and get them into place.

later
RYan

Mel

Thanks but I have 2 complete late model hardtops. My rusty 78, and a newly restored '77. I am going to take the part-off wheel to the back of the tub today. It kinda hurts to cut into to it since I spent alot of hours sanding and welding on the tub. Oh well whats a little more. I have the wife putting new weatherstriping on the doors,a dn resinstalling all of the hardwear.

later Ryan

i suppose you could buy a later model rear sill, but that may be a little over kill since you're already doing all the body work. i had a set of amby doors on an early model tub and it doesn't work very well, so it needs to be modified for sure. my doors started to bow out at the bottom and it never did line up right.

anyway, just another opinion-good luck.

Teah they want a fortune for one of those!!! I have the front doors all put back together and ready to put on the truck. Left to do are Trim tub and weld in metal angle, which is already to go. bolt down hardtop and mount rear bottom hinge! We should make it.
thanks for all of the advice.

later
Ryan

Living in the Past said:
The tub is different for the ambulance doors. The doors are flush with back on the ambulance doors and the early small doors and tailgates fit on the outside. The tub is molded just like the top is molded on the ambulance door models. Plus if your using the stock tire carrier it's on the wrong side. This can be done, but it's not just drill some holes and bolt it on. To do it right you can to reshape the tub to match the top and then change to a tire carrier on the left side.

John

Well I stand corrected... I went out and checked my 78 and sure enough a indent for the door to fit flush. I'm in the middle of finishing a 76 top and doors for my 74. Now i'll have to chop my finished tub to fit the doors :doh:

I was thinking to chop the corner out and flip the peice and weld it back in.

O-Well it's only paint.

Kevin

i have a 68 and used to run a newer top with amb doors in the rear. Never had any problem making them fit just had to drill a hole in the rear sill (floor) to be able to lock the driverside door. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom