anyone do a SOA with lifted springs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i'm currently SUA with 2 1/2 inch skyjacker suspension.
it has settled a bit and like the ride.
anticapating doing a SOA this winter or next spring,
my question would be, are the lifted springs to much height for a SOA?
i'm not planning on going to wider axles. but could lengthen the wheel base.
prolly wont go any larger than 37's

any thoughts on using the 2 1/2 springs on a SOA conversion!
PRO'S
CON'S

would it just be to tall!

thanx in advance all :cheers:
jim

I would seek out some stock springs, but that is just me, goal was to keep it as low as possible SOA. Well I used xj springs out back to get the flex and wheel base I wanted. Oh and I think i could 38's no problem, with a little more triming to the front.

cool.....

i've got the stock fronts already,
was just tryin to see what other thought.

MOST APPRECIATED!!! :cheers:

i'll go with the stockers

2 1/2 inch springs for sale !! in the spring ;)

Get stockers, or pull some leafs out of your packs.

When we do a SOA using new springs (Dakar's were our last setup)... we pull leafs out of the pack to flatten out the spring, then in a couple years (or months depending on how much it gets wheeled), the customer/or us can put those leafs back in the pack and return it to its intended height. This has worked for 40's & 60's alike :D

That being said, if your lift springs ride horribly, don't waste your time, go with some modified stock springs. We never use just a stock spring for an SOA, they sag out and die way too quickly when used harshly, rather we add a second main-leaf (ends cut off) or some similar setup.

Hope that helps... :D

kurt,thanx big time

on a lifted spring, what leaves do you remove? lower shorties,or a combo of maybe one short one long?

thanx kurt, oh by the way, i'm finally puttin new drums and a third in the rear of my 60 this weekend .

thanx again for help in moab.

i'll look you up next year if your going. :beer: on me!!

thanx jim

I have a set of stock rear springs you can have for free. I was going to toss them anyway to make some space. PM me if you want them they did not have any sag when I removed them.

2badfjs said:
on a lifted spring, what leaves do you remove? lower shorties,or a combo of maybe one short one long?

thanx again for help in moab.

i'll look you up next year if your going. :beer: on me!!

thanx jim

Usually depends on the rig & the spring pack. Never a main or a military, and never a spring with a clamp rivited to it... so usually it is one of the lower springs...

Moab, no worries on the help, I already can't wait to go again! :D

Kurt, You Rule!!!!

i cant wait to go again also!!!

as far as the 40 goes, would you increase wheelbase? or just leave it all alone?

i'm gonna hook up on a set of stocker anyway, just to have all my ducks in a row.

thanx kurt!

We almost always use a rancho 2.5 inch lift spring in the rear of the SOA '40s. Once you start flexing the old spring backwards they will flatten (and sag beyond even) pretty quickly. A little bit of rear to front rake when empty is okay. Front to rear rake is another story. And when you load up for the trail the weight of the gear will make the 2.5 inch springs sit level with the front. In fact a couple of the rigs done this way now sit level even when empty, due to spring sag. They just don't like being bent backwards, but if ya want to flex...

The Rancho 2.5s ride pretty nice in an SOA configuration.

We have rigs sitting on everything from 33s to 42s with this setup. The use of this spring does not increase the height enough to even notice until the rake is pointed out to you.

One of the rigs is wearing a set of the old Rancho 3 leaf"kidney busters under the rear. On 35s it has very noticable rake when empty and sits pretty high. It rides pretty stiff too (like the nickname indicates these were not supple springs). But when loaded with a full size spare and 20 gallons of gas on a very heavy duty bumper/carrier setup, and packed full of field gear for a week long run, it sits just high of level and ride pretty decently.

If you don't carry any significant amount of gear when you hit the trails (day trips or runs to the neighborhood OHV park kind of stuff), then you can just swap the front springs to the rear and the rears to the front. Especially if your rig normally runs with a soft top or no top.

Mark...

I have been running OME lift springs on my soa 40 since 1997. A couple years ago I switched the rears to 2.5" lift rear BDS fj 60 springs. I would like the front to still be about an inch higher, my 37's rub the fenders pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom