Anyone Disable the Passenger Airbag? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First post in the 80's section, so be gentle...

I just moved into an 80 from my 60 and need a little guidance re the airbag. My 3 year old has gotten used to riding in the front seat(in his Britax Husky Seat) of the 60 when we are offroad, it helps keep his interest and allows Dad a lot more wheeling time. Obviously this would not be prudent with the airbag on my new 97 80. Has anyone installed a switch to turn the bag on and off like they do in newer vehicles?

If you are talking off-road only, then I wouldn't worry about it. The 80's SRS will not deploy below a certain speed and other conditions like rate of deceleration. We have never had a report of an 80 deploying the bags off-road. As far as I know, we have never had a report of *any* air bag equipped vehicle depoying the bag when off-road.

There are switches available but you have to jump through some pretty big hoops to get it and I believe they can only be dealer installed. If you're determined to disable it and don't want to spend the bucks to do it correctly, then get the EWD and see if there is a fuse you can pull that won't disable something important along with the SRS.

-B-

Buy the CDL from dan, use it when the boy is in the front. When the cdl is engaged it bypasses the ABS & airbags.

valentine- where did you get your information that CDL bypasses the airbags? I know about the ABS, and this is verified by the ABS light, but never heard that about the airbags.

Last edited:
Well...maybe I'm full of crap. I know I've read it somewhere, but I can't seem to find it.

I'll continue to search. If anyone can back me up, post up. If I'm talking out my ass, let me know.

I think I disabled mine by accident. After finding a dead mouse and having some electrical issues, I removed the dash (including the PS airbag). Now, the airbag light is on all the time, so I may have messed something up.

I can't say what effect it will have on the rest of the system, but I am pretty sure that if you disconnect the PS airbag from the wiring harness (connection located behind and above the glove box, can't remember if you can get to it w/o removing dash), the PS airbag can't possibly deploy.

1. It is not illegal and you do not need to fill out any forms if you want ti disable your own airbag in your own vehicle. Although not illegal, you can still be sued if you sell your car or have someone injured while riding in your vehicle without the airbag.

2. Severa companies makes such a switch.

3. Most of the early, single stage airbags are 3 ohms terminated load. Put a 3 ohm resistro (or three 10 ohm resistors in parallel) and the computer should stop the blinking airbag warning light.

4. You can make your own switch with a DPDT switch that terminated the air bag connector to a 3 ohm load. Use the second pole to switch on a airbag off indicator light.

97 FZJ80 said:
1. It is not illegal and you do not need to fill out any forms if you want ti disable your own airbag in your own vehicle. Although not illegal, you can still be sued if you sell your car or have someone injured while riding in your vehicle without the airbag.

2. Severa companies makes such a switch.

3. Most of the early, single stage airbags are 3 ohms terminated load. Put a 3 ohm resistro (or three 10 ohm resistors in parallel) and the computer should stop the blinking airbag warning light.

4. You can make your own switch with a DPDT switch that terminated the air bag connector to a 3 ohm load. Use the second pole to switch on a airbag off indicator light.

I'd rather reply to an old post than start a new one. Could you describe this in further detail? I think it would be titties and beer to be able to switch the airbag on/off when needed. How hard would it be to do something like Dodge has done in the Dakota trucks (like mine I've sold)...where it is a switch you turn with the ignition key?

Hit me offline if you want more info. Too many bottom feeders trolling the net to sue (been there, done that).

This may be key. I am not comfortable driving around with a small bomb in my face! My wife is at the minimum height for airbag safety. She could be as easily hurt as helped by deployment. I would prefer to remove them.
Info would be appreciated.

I believe the airbag's sensor will not allow airbag to inflate until 15 mph -- that is, your vehicle's speed, not its impact speed, must exceed 14 mph at impact.

Why is no one concerned about the sodium azide powder that is combusted to open airbags? I have been told that this compound is among the most toxic in existence, significantly more toxic than potassium cyanide. Combustion renders the compound harmless, but what if . . . ?

Well yeah, that is another topic in itself. I am not too concerned about the impact speed either...I'm more concerned about daily driving, not trailing....I need for my 3 year old to be able to sit up front in a booster, as we will have two more little ones in the back in car seats, along with my wife in the center. I won't have the option to flip a seat so that anyone can even get to the 3rd row, so the 3rd becomes pointless.

yosemitesamiam said:

You may have missed my sarcasm. But actually my rig does occasionally have a rear airbag... whenever I toss my mother-in-law in the back seat. :D

yosemitesamiam said:
I need for my 3 year old to be able to sit up front in a booster, as we will have two more little ones in the back in car seats, along with my wife in the center.

You guys do whatever you want but you might want to read about ScottM's accident in his 80 where the air bags most definitely saved his life. We would be without a valuable 'Mud member and his family would be without a father, husband, & brother, had he not had air bags.

The fact is that air bags save lives and I'm glad mine has them and I wish my '97 Taco had a passenger side air bag instead of just a driver side. My wife's vehicle has F&R side curtains and her next vehicle will have every safety device available.

You never know when some drunk is going to run a light, cross the center line, or T-bone you when you least expect it. It happens hundreds of times each day and those with air bags fare much better than those without.

[off soap box]

-B-

Brian Macgyver said:
This may be key. I am not comfortable driving around with a small bomb in my face!

Airbag deployment is a lot of force but it is much better than a steering wheel coming at your head at 30 MPH, airbags have noticeably reduced the number of head injuries in collisions. Buddy of mine used to set up the machines that weld airbag inflators, there is a lot of engineering & QA involved, I trust em.

The 80 series airbag system has a controller on the tyranny hump, no bumper sensors, the vehicle has to experience a stout deceleration (as measured at the center of the vehicle) to set it off,

You should give serious thought and research to this before disabling them, it is a decision that may end your life.

Holy thread resurrection, Batman!!!

While wheeling last weekend, I was tempted to put my little guy in the front seat (like he gets to ride in my minitruck), but knowing what airbags due to little kids and midgets, I gathered my parenting powers and kept his butt in the back seat.

What I want to know is does anyone know DEFINITIVELY if the airbags (or at least the PS airbag) can be temporarily disarmed for this purpose either via pulling a fuse, installing a switch, etc. I know the newer trucks can disarm PS airbag with an ignition key.

Maybe Cdan could chime in some of his infinite Shaman wisdom...

Knowledge is most appreciated on this subject,
Nick

While I doubt that any of the aftermarket companies make a switch for our particular vehicles, they may make "generic" or "universal" switches.

To answer your question, the method 97 FZJ80 describes will work. Maybe you could PM him for a diagram.

One note, ARB notes that their bumper it not airbag compliant.

I went back and forth about this fact for a long time because I am sure the bags will deploy but at what speed and velocity are required now that I have the "indestructable ARB" up front.

As far as worrying about them deploying for off-road use, I would concur with some prior statements that they will not function at a normal "off-road" speed but would benefit from them if you loose control (for whatever reason). Example: You are creeping down a long steep grade and for somereason you loose control and the truck starts accelerating and then finally hit an immoveable object your bags would then deploy and you will be thankful for it. I know this is a big what if but before disabling them I would strongly look at the are ato be wheeled and then consider that to the safety of your loved ones.

Sorry if this sounds deep but I thought someone should say it.

Glen

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom