1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone deal with the 80/450 exclusive ebay dealer in WV?

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Lavarock64, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Lavarock64

Lavarock64

Hey fellas-

Second post, I'm in deep search mode for my 80 and stumble accross a fella on ebay (based in West Virginia) that deals with 80's and 450 only. On ebay he goes by markguy (something like that). Does anyone have any feedback regarding this guy?

Thanks, Chris

2. Grench

Grench SILVER Star

I spoke to him, considered buying from him, and probably would have if I hadn't found the perfect deal the same week from a couple in NY.

JP Jones is his name if I recall. He had a pretty impressive array of trucks and seemed to recondition them VERY nicely. (Repainting bumpers, repacking all bearings, etc...) Give him a call. He struck me as a very decent guy.

3. stevek

stevek

I'm another one that spent lots of time talking to him about an 80 only to find a sweet deal on a 100. He was very honest about the trucks and was willing to work with the price. I would have bought one from him easily if I hadnt found the 100.

4. tarbe

tarbe

Houston, Texas for now - Romance, MO soon!
    Bismarkguy. I see his trucks all the time...really seems to have focused on 80 series Cruisers. He obviously has good taste! :)

5. KLF

KLF Frame waxer SILVER Star

My brother bought a nice '97 from him earlier this year. He paid $15K for it, which I thought was waaay too much. But he was really impressed with the guy, he tossed in free new OEM mats, complete brake job, etc.

Then he wrecked the truck about a month later. :(

6. alastor11

alastor11

Bismarkguy

I have dealt with the guy. His name is John Jones and he is in Elkins, WV. He only deals with 80s and the LX-450s. Has a body shop that he uses as his "dealership". Apparently it is not hard to get a dealer's license in WV.

He is up front with you about what he has and what he does to the vehicles. Usually it is the bumpers repainted, brakes (turns the rotors, new pads), and an oil filter and change. He does not use OEM parts. He will have the vehicle detailed in and out, and throw in new mats. One of the guys he has working for him formerly worked for Painless Dent removal and will take out many of the smaller dings.

He is personable, helpful and not pushy. Depending upon what your state requires for vehicle inspection, a WV inspected vehicle will not necessarily pass. I knew what I was getting into when I bought one from him, and the price was right. It was cleaned up and pretty, but needed some work (leaking knuckles, exhaust leaks, throwing P401 and 02 sensor codes, frozen parking brake bellcranks, burned out marker lights, tag lights, interior lights, 'D' indicator lamp). Use the Slee Off-Road Newbie guide to give it a close insepction.

He will not be able to tell you any of the maintenance history of the vehicle other than from a CarFax report, as he throws aways everything he finds when he buys them (auctions, dealer trade-ins). He had a bad experience with a previous owner who was a lawyer. The person he sold the 80 to contacted the previous owner (the lawyer) and he wanted to sue John for leaving PM receipts in the vehicle.

Shop around and weigh options such as travel expenses to get it an bring it back to where you live. He will throw a 60 day temporary tag on it and gives a short term warranty (I think 30 or 60 day drive train etc. that can be upgraded).

Just remember that this is West Virginia, and that things do not move at a big city pace (Elkins is the county seat, though!). I probably talked to him weekly for about a month before the 80 I was interested in was ready. He has a 100% rating on Ebay. Do not bother to email him. Call him on his cell phone (he gives it on his auction page).

7. ROCKCLMBR 7

ROCKCLMBR 7

My friend Mark(heckler on the forum) bought a really clean 97' collectors ed. from him back last year. It was as previously described-new mats, oil change, and painted bumpers. It was a bit overpriced i thought, but he def. got what he wanted as the guy had a bunch of LC's to choose from. Oh, and BTW they use salt on the roads in WV. Mark did not realize this when he bought it, but the under carrige was pretty rusty which made his OME install a bit difficult. Maybe he will chime in with more.:cheers:

8. extremetoy1

extremetoy1

Matt, call me regarding the frozen up engine you sold me or i am going to take this up legally

9. trainrech

trainrech SILVER Star

Uh, that would be a hijack. Suggest you take this matter elsewhere as it has absolutely nothing to do with this thread.

10. 94landcruiser

94landcruiser

[hijack]
    I think he posted here as ROCKCLMBR 7 is ignoring him. I apologize to the the op but think alleged 1200.00 ripoffs take precedance over thread hijacks. I'd bet 99.9% of us would be posting anywhere a person that has our $ and is ignoring a problem posts [/hijack]

11. ClemsonCruiser

ClemsonCruiser

Media:
    Albums:
    I also bought a 97 locked 80 from Mr. Jones........ as everyone has said he is a straight forward and honest guy. He puts time into clean them up with painting the bumpers, new brakes, floor mats and so on. The vehicle was exactly as he had described it to me on the phone when I arrived to check it out, which was nice since I drove up for SC to to look at it. In the end felt like I got a fair deal and my girl has never been happier with her new ride. We've put almost 3K miles on it since buying it in July with no problems. I would recommend him for sure........

12. Toyminater

Toyminater

Yeah it looks like he is "tracking" him down too, 1200 dollars- i would look past the hijack

13. Beowulf

Beowulf

I strongly disagree.

This isn't Chat and it isn't his personal sounding board for his problems. Take it elsewhere and always, always remember there are 2 sides to every story... and I know neither of these guys or their beef with each other.

-B-

14. collector_edi

collector_edi

Alastor hit it on the head on several points. I spoke with Mr. Jones last year in June . He was very pleasant. I suggested that I fly to his shop to commence the deal [after three weeks of Mr. Jones failed attempts to get a dash kit]. Mr. Jones indicated he had to roast a pig and could not meet with me during that forthcoming weekend. I told him I would meet with him but the event that he was handling exceeded that of commencing the transaction. I understood and told him my schedule was tight because of school and I would have to get the car shipped instead. Too make a long story short I found a collectors edition for $5000.00 less that week from autobuytel.com. When I told him that I could not pass on the deal he became oronary. I reminded him it was for 5k less for the same year and color but it was a collectors edition and I apologized for the time we spoke on the phone. Needless to say he felt wronged and it was extremely evident in his tone.

This does not speak of the quality of his vehicles just the timeliness of the delivery and it doesn't hurt to continue to shop.

15. collector_edi

collector_edi

My editorial.
    He became ornery nor ornary.

Again, he could've had a bad day and it is not to say his deals are not worthy of strong consideration.

16. Rookie2

Rookie2

Well, you sure cleared that up. :D

17. cruiser88

cruiser88

Media:
    Albums:
    he is a great guy:D really cool fellow buy from him

18. napertuckytim

napertuckytim

I posted my opinion below in another thread...He would not cooperate with me picking up the cruiser so I had to have it delivered. It came with about $1,000 in repairs that were needed & I'm buying even more replacement parts from Cdan. He’s very nice until he has your money and then I couldn't reach him...said he crashed his Harley, lost his cell phone, was on vacation etc, etc, etc. Didn't hear the pig roast one but sounds like something he would say.

I bought my cruiser from bimarkguy and would not recommend him to anyone on this forum. Ebay has its good points but in my opinion he’s not one of them. Private auctions puzzled me until dealing with him. His cruiser sales feedback has been the same for a while and most of his recent positives come from sellers not buyers. Lots of promises to make things good but nothing ever happens. In fact, I’m still waiting on parts from him. If you buy from him make sure you are the winning bidder and don’t make a deal with him after the auction (like I did) so you can get things resolved prior to leaving feedback…just my 2 cents.

19. collector_edi

collector_edi

Mr. Jones said all the right things during our conversations however his temper flared when I told him I was no longer interested. Again prior to the “pig roast” weekend which was causing him to leave town he confirmed that none of the two requests I made had been completed. Three weeks had elapsed and again he confirmed none of the items were taken care of.

1. Dash kit [I was picky about the finish]
    2. Michelin Tires in replacement of the Dunlops.

I told him that the vehicle I found was only a two hour drive from where I was located so everything was abundantly clear that I had found a better deal. I suggested that I would email him the pictures and the description to prove to him the deal was what I described it to be but he was not interested. I could not email him the link since the listing was removed.

At the end of the day I found what I wanted from the beginning from a private owner and paid exactly $5110.00 less. Perform lots of searching you might come across an owner that simply wants to dump it. I would think more so now than ever with gas prices being what they are and CO2 emissions being a common topic during dinner conversations. In all fairness to Mr. Jones I should underscore the mileage was a little higher on the vehicle that I purchased however the price difference was still considerable. I understand he has overhead and other costs that we should understand however he should also understand given the nature of what he does that sometimes he will not get the sale. I did not win the auction so I did not cause a disservice to him. The discussions were post auction ending conversations.

Mr. Jones 80 1997 Private Seller 80 1997
    $15,900 $10,790
    95k 113k
    No lockers No lockers
    Collectors Editions
    Exterior: Good Exterior: Paint and overall finish much better.

Interior: Wood Interior: Very good with no wood kit
    delaminated

I am not gloating. The question was posted and I am simply suggesting search and search often if the time permits. Mr. Jones may be the ticket at the end of the day but at least you know you did your due diligence.

20. collector_edi

collector_edi

Once again let me clean up my previous post.

Mr. Jones 1997 80
    no lockers
    Exterior: Good
    Interior: Good with wood delaminated

Private Seller 80 1997
    $10,790
    No Lockers
    Collectors Edition
    Exterior: Paint and overall finish much better
    Interior: Very good with no wood kit.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">