anyone cut the e-brake drum off? w/ pics? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.rockcrawler
71 fj40, auto transmission
i've been told that i can cut the e-brake drum off of the t/case since i don't use it (auto trans) and it doesn't work anyway, so i'm wondering if anyone has done this, and what's it's supposed to look like when it's done. i would appreciate any tips, hints, helpful suggestions, except suggestions telling me to not do it, cuz i'm gonna do it anyway.

The auto tranny has NO impact on the e-brake. If anything the e-brake is more important since there isn't the same effect with "Park" as there is when you put a manual tranny in gear.

Personally I wouldn't do it but if you are determined I'd bring the drum to a machine shop and have them take off all but the center core. That way you will hopefully have a balanced assembly. If you just hack it off with a cutting disk you'll certainly be out of balance.

Please use a drum thats shot though (no point in ruining a good drum).

What are you using for an e-brake?

How about sending me the e-brake guts for the advice?? I need some for the FJ45LV and they are hard to get here. If you want, send me your stuff (I have a U.S. address) and I'll have a machine shop here take it off (it's really cheap labor here) and send the remaining core back.

Dude have you ever heard, if it aint broke don't fix it. I'm not sure why you wanna spend the money in labor for someone to cut it off and also like cruiser guy said, take the chance of it unbalanced. Cause once ya cut it off it's hard to put it back on.

Had several done... ~$20 at a machine shop, or beer for a buddy with a lathe. No reason to have it clanking on rocks if you run a park brake on the rear axle. What does it look like when done? A normal round flange :D

why not just fix the parking brake...it probably just a leaky rear seal on the tcase that has soaked the shoes.

nuclearlemon said:
why not just fix the parking brake...it probably just a leaky rear seal on the tcase that has soaked the shoes.

Sssshhh Ige, I need the e-brake guts here!!!

what kind of guts do you need? i've got a couple extras

nuclearlemon said:
what kind of guts do you need? i've got a couple extras

Everything but the backing plate and the drum. The parking brake was gutted completely. If you've got old shoes send them along too. They resurface them here (OK for the parking brake but they aren't going to be resurfacing the main brakes for me)!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom