1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone converted fan clutch to electric ?

Discussion in '100-Series Cruisers' started by EOS, Aug 10, 2005.

1. EOS

EOS

I removed the viscous fan clutch from my Bimmer and installed electric. Has anyone done this with their 100 ? Im thinking of doing this to to my LX470
    since my Bimmer seems to run much nicer and has a little bit more ooomph.

If so can you shed on details on your install ?

Thanks

2. uzj100

uzj100

Great question. I would like to know also. Seems like a beneficial mod. It seems that some one over sea's would have done this mod. I think it is like a 10 to 15% increase in HP. That would be great and maybe help fuel mileage too.

uzj100

3. powderpig

powderpig SILVER Star

Their is not a electric fan that can pull the air that the VC fan clutch can pull. The VC is bigger than the one's on the 80 series, I do not know the fan diameter (but will find out when christo can drive is 100 series in) but I do beleive it is about the same size or bigger than a 80. That said the 80 series fan is designed to pull 12k CFM when hooked up. Good luck finding a electric to match. But if you choose to experment let us know how it works good or bad. later robbie

4. aljordan

aljordan

I would advise to keep the mechanical fan. I'm from the Supra community, and many of those guys have switched to an electric setup and have ran into problems in doing so. Anywhere from the thermostat frying to fans not pulling enough air to just plain not working as advertised. Most of those people switch back to the mehcanical fan and enjoy its reliability.