anyone built a swing out for kaymar (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hey mudders,
not really wanting to fork out the cash for a kaymar swing out tire carrier, and was thinking about building one myself or even having someone build one for me.
Has anyone tackled this before? if so, pics would be greatly appreciated...or if anyone is interested in building one, i'll contribute the cash for it..
Cheers,

x2. Need to buy or have built a DS jerry can holder for my Kaymar.

With the help of a very busy machinist, I'm trying to build a left side carrier of some sort. I have the hub machined down and have figured out the bearing situation. I'll be using 2x3x1/4" steel to make the arm. I have the latch for it, it just all needs to come together. I'm going to take pics the next opportunity but for as long as I've been at it, I'm embarrassed to show such little progress.

I used a readily available conventional wheel hub to start with and machined off the bolt pattern / flange. The lower bearing was a perfect fit for the Kaymar spindle, but the upper part of the spindle is a weird size so we made a steel shim that adapts the standard bearing for the hub we're using to the spindle. A castellated nut is available, it's not a metric nut like you'd think, easier than I thought to locate one.

I have the spare tire carrier on the right side so I'm not sure what I'll put on the left side. I have a 44 gal aux tank underneath so I don't need gas cans back there. I'm thinking water carrier, bike carrier, coolers, CO2, etc. I think I'll make it adaptable to various carriers that I can build later and bolt on to the main bar of the swing-out.

I'm really trying to make progress, but it's like herdin' cats. I'll try to take some pics when I can.

Dan.

With the help of a very busy machinist, I'm trying to build a left side carrier of some sort. I have the hub machined down and have figured out the bearing situation. I'll be using 2x3x1/4" steel to make the arm. I have the latch for it, it just all needs to come together. I'm going to take pics the next opportunity but for as long as I've been at it, I'm embarrassed to show such little progress.

I used a readily available conventional wheel hub to start with and machined off the bolt pattern / flange. The lower bearing was a perfect fit for the Kaymar spindle, but the upper part of the spindle is a weird size so we made a steel shim that adapts the standard bearing for the hub we're using to the spindle. A castellated nut is available, it's not a metric nut like you'd think, easier than I thought to locate one.

I have the spare tire carrier on the right side so I'm not sure what I'll put on the left side. I have a 44 gal aux tank underneath so I don't need gas cans back there. I'm thinking water carrier, bike carrier, coolers, CO2, etc. I think I'll make it adaptable to various carriers that I can build later and bolt on to the main bar of the swing-out.

I'm really trying to make progress, but it's like herdin' cats. I'll try to take some pics when I can.

Dan.

Come on Dan....show us some pics...I wanna see what you got..or else I will come by your house...:):)

Suscribed. Let me know when it's done. :p

Best setup would use the kaymar spindles, bearings, seals, nuts, latches, etc. I would design it so all of the custom sized stuff is on the new swing out. I would just want to drop it in and go.

Looking forward to your progress and some pics!

Suscribed. Let me know when it's done. :p

Best setup would use the kaymar spindles, bearings, seals, nuts, latches, etc. I would design it so all of the custom sized stuff is on the new swing out. I would just want to drop it in and go.

Looking forward to your progress and some pics!

x2 on interest Dan. Have you talked to Man-a-Fre about sourcing just the spindles, bearings, seals, nuts and latches? From there you could fab the swingout to carry just about anything.

I'd love a DS swingout. I just don't want to pay $$$ for the single jerry can carrier that Kaymar produces. Ideally, I'd love a rack similar to what Ken Hanna produces that'll carry 2-3 jerry cans.

While you're at it, make sure you get some of the Kaymar rear hoops from Wild West Off Road to protect your rear quarter panels!
DSCN2607.jpg
DSCN2609.jpg
DSCN2610.jpg

Dave - I've thought about those, but their link from here on Mud hasn't worked for months. Didn't know if they were still in business!

Heya Brent,

I didn't know about the dead link, but they are definitely healthy and kicking! Give Tim a shout. Wild West Off Road

Cheers,

Dave

Link you provided gets me as far as the mud one. Main page (?) that says come on in and then goes nowhere. Does Tim know?

Have you clicked on the pictures?

I just followed that link and clicked on the pictures...wham-o...into the site.

I hope this didn't sound smart-ass...was trying to be helpful really. :doh:

Link you provided gets me as far as the mud one. Main page (?) that says come on in and then goes nowhere. Does Tim know?

Right -click, open link worked for me...

did not see a price for the wild west offroad kaymar rear hoops. for that matter i didnt even see the hoops. i modified a swing out tire carrier from the kaymar stock bumper tire carrier kit. i simply lowered the latch so the spare tire wont be in the way. it can now hold up to a 40 inch tire. got the swing away tire carrier for half the cost of the kaymar swing away tire carrier for the bumper. i could not see putting out 500 on something i had to cut up to be able to fit a 38 inch tire.
100_8637.jpg

Have you clicked on the pictures?

I just followed that link and clicked on the pictures...wham-o...into the site.

I hope this didn't sound smart-ass...was trying to be helpful really. :doh:

Yep tried that too! Right clicked on the pics and 'opened the link' and got it. I don't see the side hoops there any longer.

Sorry for the messy website, we've had some issues over the past 6 mos. or so with our site. I'm a fabricator, not a web designer... :eek: :lol:
I do have a fellow working on it and hopefully we'll be able to get it back running smoothly again soon.

We still build the hoops, they run $250.00 for the pair. They are built out of 1.5" tubing and are quite sturdy, actually stronger than the Kaymar bumper; Dave Z bent one corner of his Kaymar bumper his last outing and the side hoop held up just fine. We'll probably be designing a bumper wing support for the back side of the Kaymar next time we see his 80 in here. :cool:

Ok - thanks!

Sorry for the messy website, we've had some issues over the past 6 mos. or so with our site. I'm a fabricator, not a web designer... :eek: :lol:
I do have a fellow working on it and hopefully we'll be able to get it back running smoothly again soon.

We still build the hoops, they run $250.00 for the pair. They are built out of 1.5" tubing and are quite sturdy, actually stronger than the Kaymar bumper; Dave Z bent one corner of his Kaymar bumper his last outing and the side hoop held up just fine. We'll probably be designing a bumper wing support for the back side of the Kaymar next time we see his 80 in here. :cool:

Any chance you have something for the IPOR?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom