Anyone build a Soft top for a 45? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

love2fly

Flying the Mountains of the NW
Threads
Recently ran across a gent selling some parts from his FJ40. He had both the door panels and top door braces for $10.
I was thinking that the parts are perfect to build a soft top for my FJ45 along with some tubing.
I hate to re-invent the wheel so have to ask if anyone has made a soft top and would share your information on how you went to building it.
If not I am sure I would com up with something but have to ask.

Cheers

20220713_142457.jpg

Been a while but it has been done.

I have the top referenced in post #2. It is not going anywhere and i would be happy to assist in digging it out this fall.

Recently ran across a gent selling some parts from his FJ40. He had both the door panels and top door braces for $10.
I was thinking that the parts are perfect to build a soft top for my FJ45 along with some tubing.
I hate to re-invent the wheel so have to ask if anyone has made a soft top and would share your information on how you went to building it.
If not I am sure I would com up with something but have to ask.

Cheers

View attachment 3058240
$10 bucks!?! score.

Maybe you can track down who bought this top and see if they have any photos of it installed or mocked up yet.

$10 bucks!?! score.

Maybe you can track down who bought this top and see if they have any photos of it installed or mocked up yet.

Hilarious part is the person Esh sold the top to told me Esh never unboxed it and it was actually a 40 top. So either Esh ordered the wrong top or Jim sent him the wrong top or….???

Hilarious part is the person Esh sold the top to told me Esh never unboxed it and it was actually a 40 top. So either Esh ordered the wrong top or Jim sent him the wrong top or….???
Funny as an outsider, not funny as the buyer or seller. Bummer for all.

There was discussion with dirt road tops to leave a 45 there for modeling to design a top. I eventually declined to leave my 45 there. I belive they are in South Carolina.

Would be nice to see some finished results of a FJ45 with a soft top. Thanks 1969FJ, they are a bit of help. In my mind it seems pretty simple to build but still trying to wrap my head around on how to hold down the canvus to the door post sides. Thanks guys

A channel needs to be added to the back of the door posts to accept the soft top, if you want to mimic the OEM style securing of the soft top. You can kind of get an idea here of what they look like:

There was discussion with dirt road tops to leave a 45 there for modeling to design a top. I eventually declined to leave my 45 there. I belive they are in South Carolina.
Some info here:

I’m planning on leaving my ‘67 FJ-45 w/ @Julie2006 (I need to discuss in more detail with her) once I get it back from CA later this month.

Hopefully she and I can work something out that’s a WIN-WIN for both of us/all of us!

I’ll keep everyone posted here.

This is a stretched 45 cab with soft top. You'll have to search through the thread to find soft top details. All custom work.

@Unimogguy thank you for working on this. I'd be happy to mail out the top I have if it will help. I was struggling with a lot of things this past spring and really wasn't comfortable leaving either 45 when both are just recently running. I haven't even put 100 miles on mine yet. Haven't even driven chefs other than the initial 30 feet it moved out of the garage. If it will help, I'd be happy to send what I have as a starting point/reference. The top I have I believe could use some modification to be really usable. Feel free to hit me offline and we can always chat details. Erik

Ps I know Brian aka @whitey45 would really like a top eventually as well.

I've got an Eshan top and bows that I acquired from IDave a few years ago. Started to put it on about 2019-ish, but need to pull the bed off to install footman loops and never got around to doing that.

If you want to come by to take a look at it, I could pull it out of the basement.

Took a few pics of the partial install.

20191020_151830.jpg

20191020_153048.jpg

20191020_154405.jpg

20191020_154336.jpg

Ewheeler, thanks that is a big help. I maybe able to engineer what I have to mimic what you show in the pictures. Thanks

Owyhee Jackass that tubing looks pretty heavy of a tube, pretty stout.

You looking at the roll bar or the bows? Bows are just standard thin wall, one inch tubing. The soft top bows are exterior to the roll bar.

Ewheeler, thanks that is a big help. I maybe able to engineer what I have to mimic what you show in the pictures. Thanks

Owyhee Jackass that tubing looks pretty heavy of a tube, pretty stout.

There is another member building his own bows out of a Real Steel bow set for his custom extended cab FJ45. I don't think he has got to the point of having someone custom build the soft top yet. Thread here for ideas:

so there were at least three ehsan 45 tops.. and doesn't appear any of us liked them very much.

What do you think of yours OwyheeJackass?

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom