Anyone adapt a fj60 dash cluster into a pig? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking to not just have a flush mounted gauge cluster on a plain metal panel.

I can get a FJ60 dash panel from classicdash.com but I'm not sure how much modifications I'll need to make it fit or if it can be adapted.

I borrowed this picture.

Anyone have measurements for a 60 cluster insert?

I keep thinking about using the CNC Mill to cut a chunk of aluminum to fit an aftermarket quad gauge and speedometer. Speedhut, Classic Instruments and Autometer all make quad gauge setups. (Maybe Dakota does too.). They all have custom shops, too, so we might be able to get really close.

I did this on my 5.7 Vortec / 4L60E FJ40 in 2005.

(Yes, it's very resto-mod.)

I have installed FJ60 Speedometer and Odometer into my FJ55 cluster.
And YES my Pig only have 1.8 miles on the engine and drive train.
Just got it on the road yesterday and had the exhaust installed.
Still have some other loose ends to wrap up and insurance and registration but PP19 here I come.

Gauges.JPG

I did fj 62 speedo into fj55 dash... the combo gauge is a lot harder to mod in...

Odo currently at 055895.3, which also reflects the somewhat accurate age of my engine, clutch and tcase

Need to have a gauge plate made to fit the 55 cut out. Then need to remove the left most defrost duct to give room for tach body behind plate. Plate would need staggered bolt pads for the fj60/62 gauge pods which would require some shaping of the plate or printing of gauge pod buckets. Not a lot of room between the wheel and those instruments, so it would all need to recess into the space behind the plate...Prolly easier to fab a plate to house aftermarket gauges but then you gotta figure out how to adapt senders... clear as mud, eh?

@NikP , I think you were looking to put the whole cluster in to keep the tach right?

Correct. I plan to use Speedhut it Autometer quad gauges but looking to use the FJ60 cluster to mount them. My original 55 dash insert is crap and I could cut a flat piece of metal and put in the space but I don't want them mounted that way. I prefer them inset with some kind of character to look more custom or factory.

My part pig had that cool dash set in it. I'm for wood grain interiors but with a bit more sophistication and refinement. LOL

(Maybe it's the brushmark finish technique that clashes with my style.)

683E9D64-B793-4373-8806-9E6B3CDE7A1C.jpeg

Speedhut.

Another thought - Does anyone have a CAD drawing to replicate the original FJ55 dash via 3-D printing? I don't have the CAD skills to get there at the moment but 3D printing a dash and glove box sounds like an easy way for me to get where I want to be.

Those are big parts, but I think it could be done... the printing won’t be cheap, and the drawing will take some skilled time. Sketchup works for printing and its Free

I have installed FJ60 Speedometer and Odometer into my FJ55 cluster.
And YES my Pig only have 1.8 miles on the engine and drive train.
Just got it on the road yesterday and had the exhaust installed.
Still have some other loose ends to wrap up and insurance and registration but PP19 here I come.

View attachment 1917517
I know this is an old thread but what does the back of the speedometer/ odometer look like out of the 60? Wondering what this mod involves?

I know this is an old thread but what does the back of the speedometer/ odometer look like out of the 60? Wondering what this mod involves?
The speedo/odometer was piece of cake. Cutting and JB Weld.
Other cluster not as easy. @ToyotaMatt helped me with the connectors but still working thru process.

IMG_5862.jpeg

IMG_5863.jpeg

So what is the reason behind going with gauge clusters from an FJ60?
When I started this 20 years ago seemed like easy/cheap way to get trip meter feature in Speedo. Now I want other gauge to look same and going to use high beam and parking break area in gauge for dual battery lights.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom