Anybody worried about there electric fuel pump continuing to run after a roll over or accident? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So spent a few hour last night trying to decide between electric fuel pump or mechanical, it appears my 40 is running both,from what I’ve been reading dosnt seem like a great idea due to if your mechanical pump fails your electric pump will pour gas into engine.this brought me to a scary thought what if your in an accident or a roll over when running electric pump?engine may stall but fuel pump will continue to pump gas .if you have a break in the line that could be a bad day....so I have to loose one .leaning towards the electric option.anybody install a fuel cut off .at first i was thinking a motorcycle roll over switch then I saw this guy
E2B07A8E-B916-40FC-BAA4-88E20FB9FC41.png

Has anybody installed something like this?

Almost all Fords in the late 80's and into the 90's used an inertia switch for the fuel pump. Usually mounted in the right side foot well area behind the kick panel.

Thinking about on of these guys as well
F42184B1-0E3F-4B97-9B66-F0C0ED377D6C.png

I’ve heard some good things about them small a pumps out more than a big bottle....many mounting options

Mine did not continue to run when I rolled.

Our carbs will not run upside down :meh:

Or are you talking just the pump running ?
Ya thinking the pump will continue to pump gas and if you break a line .i feel like a person might instinctively turn the key off if conscious but.....maybe not lol....I’ve ended up ...upside down in vehicles a few times and have been in an accident where something in the fuel system ruptured.

When i rolled it ended up ... upside down

Turn off the key is actually the second thing I did ... first was to turn off brian setzer orchestra that was blaring on my radio

Then undo my seatbelt to fall on the street ... then find the only open spot to get out which was the pass side door that flew up the road about 100 yards

Had to crall under the gas pouring out from my upside down gas tank

I smelled like Captain Petrol for a month :meh:

Some things are unpreventable

Turn off the key is actually the second thing I did ... first was to turn off brian setzer orchestra that was blaring on my radio

Then undo my seatbelt to fall on the street ... then find the only open spot to get out which was the pass side door that flew up the road about 100 yards

Lol crazy !Oh yea good point did not think of gas pouring out of the tank ...huh probably why I’ve been noticing more people relocating tank outside the cab closer to the back ...I guess gas will still leak out but at least it’s out side lol Jesus kinda wish I didn’t start thinking about all this gas stuff

Why not hang a master power switch on the dash ?

Life and survival is all about risk managment. You spend your time, effort and money to mitigate the risks that are more likely to affect you. As an example, you could take measures to be prepared for polar bear attacks, but your resources and worry are likely to be wasted, as this particular risk is quite low without doing anything on your part. So, I might spend some money and effort to have a first aid kit, some warm clothes, a portable shelter, extra water and food, the means to make fire, a ham radio, and maybe even a fire extinguisher when I go off-road - but being trapped in burning 40-series, although possible, is relatively low on my list of worries. YMMV. And yes, I have flopped my 40 in a creek in the middle of nowhere. I turned off the ignition.

On the FJ62 it has some kind of flow sensor on the intake. When you turn the key on it pump will not start to prime the system. There is a relay that closes only when the starter is running. Once the engine starts the sensor on the intake closes and keeps the pump running. Have a 3FE thinking of using in my FJ45. Will be sure this feature will be wired in.

Almost all Fords in the late 80's and into the 90's used an inertia switch for the fuel pump. Usually mounted in the right side foot well area behind the kick panel.

And that switch would go off on random bumps. PITA. Had to reset it frequently.

I use this pump

Amazon product ASIN B000CIQ5DG
And this oil pressure safety switch (OPSS)

Amazon product ASIN B000CSWR10
And this adapter, for mounting the OPSS

Amazon.com: Squirrelly Oil Pressure Sending Unit Adapter 1/8" BSPT Port Male Female T: Automotive

The OPSS shuts the pump down when oil pressure falls below 2 psi, unless the starter is engaged (e.g. you’re starting the truck),
Nice I will look into this for sure thanks .....think this is what I’m looking for ,so when trucks not running neither is your pump I think I like it

My biggest concern is being knocked unconscious and fuel line snapped and fuel being pumped on a hot engine. It the vehicle lands on it's top would think the pump would run dry pretty quick with the fuel pickup that was at the bottom of the tank would now be on top.

Life and survival is all about risk managment. You spend your time, effort and money to mitigate the risks that are more likely to affect you. As an example, you could take measures to be prepared for polar bear attacks, but your resources and worry are likely to be wasted, as this particular risk is quite low without doing anything on your part. So, I might spend some money and effort to have a first aid kit, some warm clothes, a portable shelter, extra water and food, the means to make fire, a ham radio, and maybe even a fire extinguisher when I go off-road - but being trapped in burning 40-series, although possible, is relatively low on my list of worries. YMMV. And yes, I have flopped my 40 in a creek in the middle of nowhere. I turned off the ignition.
Lol are you comparing polar attacks to car accidents.....classic !depending on where you live I guess I feel your average person knows more people that have been in a car accident than attacked by a polar bear lol I think I know what you saying....side note if I lived near polar bears and and there was a 30$ solution to prevent an attack ....I would at least check it out ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom