Anybody working/worked in a tire shop or a tire expert? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
saw what I thought at first looks like like a puncture in my little used MT/Rs (5K mi or so).
Upon closer examination I'm wondering if that could be a tire casting defect instead, because of some surface irregularities in that area of the tire (not so much elsewhere).

If it's designated as a defect by a dealer I could have the tire exchanged on a tread proration basis which would be good.

But before I go see a dealer, to give me better ammo and know whether it could indeed likely be a defect, could I have your opinion as to what it looks like, if you have worked or are working in a tire shop so I can anticipate what the tire dealer is likely to say? And obviously I don't want to try to have it exchanged as a defect if it's not, that would not be right. The tear is somewhere between 1/8" and 1/4" deep I think.

I'm attaching a couple of pics, one showing the general area

TIA
DSC00901 low.jpg
DSC00902 low.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a puncture to me, however, I'm no expert.

Does it leak?

I suspect that is going to be labeled a puncture... you can see the rubber flowed well in the adjacent areas (the excess in the void just above the mystery defect) and although the texture of the adjacent surface isn't exactly as normal as everything around it, I don't think it is going to be to the point where they label that a defect.

But hey, I don't make tires, so I dunno... it's worth a shot ;)

I'm not so much thinking that it came exactly like that from the factory, but rather that there may have been a casting flaw that's opened up or contributed to the tear. Then again who knows... You can see a "line" at a similar location a bit to the right in the top pic.

I'm not so much thinking that it came exactly like that from the factory, but rather that there may have been a casting flaw that's opened up or contributed to the tear. Then again who knows... You can see a "line" at a similar location a bit to the right in the top pic.

It's possible that a dirty mold can give you what looks like a small tear. Also, on tires with a large tread the rubber has to flow quite a bit in the mold and you get small imperfections (voids and folds). The good thing is that under that layer of rubber is: base tread(several mm's of rubber), 2-3 tread belts (steel, nylon or polyester, incased in rubber), 2-3 radial belts (steel or polyester incased in rubber), then a butyl liner (this is what holds the air in)

So, a small tear or imperfection will have little to no effect on the performance of your tire. :beer:

It looks to me like you ran over something damaging the adjacent lug (see your bottom pic) and breaking the tyre surface a bit. If you have a warranty (aka certs) then take it to them and see what they say. If you don't, then... if it leaks, get it fixed. If it doesn't leak then send all 5 tyres to me 'cause you damn sure aren't using them properly.

:D

-B-

It's possible that a dirty mold can give you what looks like a small tear. Also, on tires with a large tread the rubber has to flow quite a bit in the mold and you get small imperfections (voids and folds). The good thing is that under that layer of rubber is: base tread(several mm's of rubber), 2-3 tread belts (steel, nylon or polyester, incased in rubber), 2-3 radial belts (steel or polyester incased in rubber), then a butyl liner (this is what holds the air in)

So, a small tear or imperfection will have little to no effect on the performance of your tire. :beer:

I worked in the industry for about 3 yrs and I agree with this info, that is minimal from what I see and I doubt it is very deep...
I agree though take it to the dealer and see what they say it cant hurt to try and get a new tire if they want to give you one for FREE. Chances are though as you said it will be prorated which means your probaly gonna pay to replace a good tire:doh:

OK sounds like the consensus is that
- it's likely not a defect
- it may not be a big deal anyway (well, I can stick a screwdriver in there almost 1/4", I thought that was a bit much...)

I may just go ask and see what they say but probably won't expect much then.

If they don't want to do anything, would it help to stick in the cut some vulcanizing compound (if that can be readily found)?

If your worried about it, take it to a tire jockey, may get a new one if you whine enough. Or wheel the truck, then you will have real problems to worry about, like, partial/whole lugs missing, etc, not slight abrasion.:D :princess:

I carefully left out the mangled lugs out of the pics... just in case.... :D

any other opinion on defect vs just plain bad luck and sharp rock?

If you are really concerned get some of that green tire plugging goop and seal that puppy up tight and worry no more about it... I think you are stressing over a minor imperfection which is superficial and has no bearing on the performance of your tires ;)

thanks
I can fix the thing to some extent probably, but the original question was an attempt at determining whether I should bother to try and get a new one at little or no cost. If that is possible, it would obviously be better than fixing it.

reminds me of this comment I read here somewhere that brake fluid could be used to fix cracks in tires. May try that on an old one someday...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom