Anybody up for Mt Pinos / Hungry Valley / Miller? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
anybody interested in going to play at Hungry Valley or in that general area at some point?

Or any event already planned?

If Mt Pinos is the same as Los Pinos Mt (east of SD) then I am definitely game. Let me know when you are planning on making a trip to any of the areas you mentioned. I am mad that I missed Surf N Turf so I'm dying to find another trip to make.

DBS311 said:
If Mt Pinos is the same as Los Pinos Mt (east of SD) then I am definitely game. Let me know when you are planning on making a trip to any of the areas you mentioned. I am mad that I missed Surf N Turf so I'm dying to find another trip to make.

no, sorry, it's the Mount Pinos next to Gorman

yeah, I'd love to go. maybe first weekend of December? or Turkey Saturday?
I'm in Ventura and looking for trails to take that dont require a loan for gas to get there.

Is Hungry Valley "lifted" mandatory? I'm at stock height w/ 285's and a tow hitch on with the run/boards still. Maybe I'll just peel them all off.

What's the camping like up there? Do you need a reso? or is it usually open?

Anyone know of a Sespe run besides the road up to the Condor Reservation? That would make a sick Crawler run, but since Rose Valley was closed to traffic, it's just a hike now; right? It's been about 6 years since I hiked the canyon down to the water.

PabloVTA said:
yeah, I'd love to go. maybe first weekend of December? or Turkey Saturday?
I'm in Ventura and looking for trails to take that dont require a loan for gas to get there.

Is Hungry Valley "lifted" mandatory? I'm at stock height w/ 285's and a tow hitch on with the run/boards still. Maybe I'll just peel them all off.

What's the camping like up there? Do you need a reso? or is it usually open?

Anyone know of a Sespe run besides the road up to the Condor Reservation? That would make a sick Crawler run, but since Rose Valley was closed to traffic, it's just a hike now; right? It's been about 6 years since I hiked the canyon down to the water.

I went up their with almost the same setup as you have. Only difference is rear bumper. No lift and 285's are fine. You have a 99.9% probability that you WILL trash your stock running boards. :D Both E9999 and I can attest to that fact. hehehe :whoops: Probably best if you removed them if you want them back on after the run in pristine shape. PKP80 suggested I do that - I didn't - I trashed mine. Good excuse with the wifey to get sliders. You will probably drag the hitch a few times but that's no biggie. There is camping in the area, but I've never camped there so no recommendations. This time of year I doubt reservations for campsites would be necessary with night temps down in the 40's and maybe lower.

I've love to go since I haven't really wheeled my LX yet. Try to finalize a date. I could probably go Thanksgiving weekend

txkndu said:
Cool. Time and date?

Brent and e, Im stock with 285s, no tow hitch, but boards will be off if I go. What kind of trails are we looking at (Miller like)? I remember both of you did Miller and there were some board carnage. Did anybody sustain lower rocker damage or any other damage?

Joe

Millers - no rocker damage to either of us. Just running boards. We've both replaced with Hanna's sliders. :D

yes, I did Miller with RBs on 285s and no lift. I did scrape the RBs some. Of course, I didn't know what I was doing and neither did my spotter. That didn't help. It was quite muddy and even snowy up top last year, so pretty slippery. A couple of guys did it without lockers, although one had to be winched up a couple of times, IIRC. I would say there is a reasonable chance one could also end up with body damage too if one were to screw up in a couple of tight spots.

I'd say that if you are prepared to jettison your RBs and don't want to keep them intact, it might be OK to leave them on. Some claim there is damage multiplication potentially there but I'm not so sure that's always true. Also, the noise they make on rocks is a good warning signal... But as Brent said, there is a very good chance that you'll scrape them. You should also remove the flaps I think.

Probably not a great idea if a bunch of relatively unexperienced folks -counting myself in there- would go without somebody who knows the area well and is very experienced at wheeling. There should be at least one winch too, probably. Keep also in mind if you break down mid-Miller, you are gonna have to wait for a helo or a good soul with a good winch and a couple of days free, so a mechanically reliable rig is highly desirable...

Altogether, I don't think Miller is a great place to start wheeling. Probably best to do easier stuff first. It's not the most difficult trail, obviously, but it's not that easy either.

Btw, for those who have not wheeled before, there is a practice area at Hungry Valley that's useful to play in.

Personally, I don't need to do Miller that bad. I'd love to some exploring of the back country dirt roads out there, though. I'd be up for camping one night too.

In fact, if anybody would like to go check out the Cuyama area trails at some point, that would be great. Let me know.

thanks for the info, but Saturday after Turkey I just scored some Kings tix, so maybe the weekend after that one?

I'll take of the boards, and probly the hitcch too.

I wonder if I could trick out my 80 with stuff from the 805 only?
I work about a mile from Man A fre, and Hanna is in SLO...hmmmm

PabloVTA said:
thanks for the info, but Saturday after Turkey I just scored some Kings tix, so maybe the weekend after that one?

I'll take of the boards, and probly the hitcch too.

I wonder if I could trick out my 80 with stuff from the 805 only?
I work about a mile from Man A fre, and Hanna is in SLO...hmmmm

I'd leave the hitch on until and if you put on a rear bumper. It will scrap, but save damage in the long run.

e9999 said:
anybody interested in going to play at Hungry Valley or in that general area at some point?

I live about 17 miles from Hungry Valley Miller Jeep Trail. There are no trails for four-wheeling on Mt. Pinos. Before you hit Mt. Pinos you will get to a Y in the road.
Bear to the right to Mil Potrero Highway. Follow the road for about 6 miles and you will see the town Pine Mountain Club. It is a real small community surrounded by Los Padres National Forest. This is where I live. If you keep going through Pine MOuntain Club, you will hit some dirt road trails on the right hand side. A little bit furthe there is a trail on the left hand side. You will see a sign that says "rough road ahead". You can take that trail to Cuyama.If you take a right turn at Cuyama, yoou can get to Santa Maria. After you pass the trail that says rough road ahead, there is another trail on the right hand side. If you keep going on Mil Potrero to the end and you make a right turn you can get to Maricopa and Taft. If you turn left, you will get to Cuyama, Santa Maria, and Pismo Beach. Mil Poptrero Highway is about 34 miles long.

If you come from Hungry Valley, you will pass Frazier Park, Lake of the Woods, Lockwood Valley, and Pinon Pines. When you get to Cuddy Valley, you will see White Rock Road on the left. Look to the right and you will see some trails, Cherry Creek, Salt Creek. They are short trails, only 2 or 3 miles long.

That's all I can think of right now.

HATMAN:)

'75 fj40 stock, '87 fj60 stock , '93 fzj80 OME / ARB / KAYMAR:)

e9999 said:

I live about 17 miles from Hungry Valley Miller Jeep Trail. There are no trails for four-wheeling on Mt. Pinos. Before you hit Mt. Pinos you will get to a Y in the road.
Bear to the right to Mil Potrero Highway. Follow the road for about 6 miles and you will see the town Pine Mountain Club. It is a real small community surrounded by Los Padres National Forest. This is where I live. If you keep going through Pine MOuntain Club, you will hit some dirt road trails on the right hand side. A little bit furthe there is a trail on the left hand side. You will see a sign that says "rough road ahead". You can take that trail to Cuyama.If you take a left turn at Cuyama, yoou can get to Santa Maria. After you pass the trail that says rough road ahead, there is another trail on the right hand side. If you keep going on Mil Potrero to the end and you make a right turn you can get to Maricopa and Taft. If you turn left, you will get to Cuyama, Santa Maria, and Pismo Beach. Mil Poptrero Highway is about 34 miles long.

If you come from Hungry Valley, you will pass Frazier Park, Lake of the Woods, Lockwood Valley, and Pinon Pines. When you get to Cuddy Valley, you will see White Rock Road on the left. Look to the right and you will see some trails, Cherry Creek, Salt Creek. They are short trails, only 2 or 3 miles long.

hatman406080 said:
Bear to the right to Mil Potrero Highway. Follow the road for about 6 miles and you will see the town Pine Mountain Club. It is a real small community surrounded by Los Padres National Forest. This is where I live. If you keep going through Pine MOuntain Club, you will hit some dirt road trails on the right hand side. A little bit furthe there is a trail on the left hand side. You will see a sign that says "rough road ahead". You can take that trail to Cuyama.If you take a right turn at Cuyama, yoou can get to Santa Maria. After you pass the trail that says rough road ahead, there is another trail on the right hand side. If you keep going on Mil Potrero to the end and you make a right turn you can get to Maricopa and Taft. If you turn left, you will get to Cuyama, Santa Maria, and Pismo Beach. Mil Poptrero Highway is about 34 miles long.

MAN, you should consider organizing an outing sometime, with you knowing the area so well...

e9999 i think that its time for you to man up and set a date to do the run, you take the lead and make it happen, make up your mind if you and to do miller or just play in gorman or what you want to do so that no one gets there and it pissed. i have beeen up there 2 times this year and the trail was in good shape it only took like 2 1/2 hr for 6 truck to run it. no winching or other bull. Im still running stock Birfs from 1969 (10 spline, the weakest of the birfs)and i have not had a problem, you guys in the 80's will be fine. just set a date and time so every one can get time off. I will say this once the snow hits no one it going to miller untill april, so act fast

Oooops, I didn't mean to imply that I was organizing a specific run here. I was trying to ask in general if there was some interest and wanting to see if something would congeal.

Guys, I don't think I'm experienced enough to lead a run up Miller and I don't know the area much at all. Probably couldn't even find the dang thing and more importantly I sure wouldn't want to get somebody else in trouble on the trail... I would likely go along if somebody who knows what they are doing would take the lead, though. I think it would be wise to have at least one winch along.

Anybody interested in doing something else besides Miller? There are lots of trails in the Rec Area that might be easier and fun. I would also be interested in just exploring the area backroads.

As far as dates are concerned, I'm flexible. T'Giving may be less easy. Anybody interested in meeting up there the weekend after T'giving? Maybe we could meet on Sat and those interested could stay overnight?

Ian's point is well taken, though, we may want to do something earlier rather than later in case it does snow up there.

I did look up some more trail info. The W. Frazier trail loop is listed in the "Adventures" book. Seems nice. Moderate difficulty (blue, his rating 3/10 IIRC), some old mine remnants to see. There is also a couple of spur ridge trails near Pine Mountain Club, one of them being a bit more difficult apparently. And more nice ones towards Ojai and Cuyama but these may need permits.

So it seems that between Miller on the more challenging side, some of these easier trails nearby, and the practice area and various trails at Hungry Valley itself, there should be plenty of stuff to do at various levels. Maybe we could just agree to meet a certain day and then fan out depending on interests and experience...

for those of you interested, I got a terrific map that likely lists all the trails in that area.

It's the "Mt. Pinos Ranger District Off-Highway Vehicle Guide / Los Padres National Forest" from the USFS. I got it free. It has not only the 4WD trails but also dirt bikes etc. There is a multitude of trails on there, topo, high scale and lat / long coord. Very nice at any price, let alone free...

Mt Pinos Ranger district is at 661-245-3731

OK, so anybody interested in trying to do something up there this coming weekend?

Not this time Eric. Just did the desert this past weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom