Anybody try Round Eyes headlights? Any good? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Saw these online recently and I'm wondering if they are a worthwhile upgrade. Have any of you installed them? Are they any good? Are they easy to install?

easy as changing a sealed beam-

its plug and play. I put some in my 60 a few months ago.

I installed slcfj62's wiring harness upgrade and put some brighter bulbs in at the same time so i cant speak to the difference from stock to just the Roundeye's, but i am sure there is a good deal of improvement there-

If you are going to H4 bulbs (using roundeyes, hella, cibie- whatever housing/bulb combo), you will probably want to upgrade from the factory wiring to get the most out of them by getting them a the electricty they need.

this may even be the first upgrade you want to do if you cant afford to upgrade everything at once...

If you can use a phillips head screwdriver you can install these lights though.

HTH

swamp60

Awesome lights,

Ive got em' on my rig

I've installed some of these and they are far better than the regular sealed beam garbage that people are used to, but when you compare them to other, higher end, H4 powered replacement headlights they are pretty average.

Just me feelings on the matter - in Canuckistan we haven't been as deprived of good headlight as our neighbors to the South.

~John

I've installed some of these and they are far better than the regular sealed beam garbage that people are used to, but when you compare them to other, higher end, H4 powered replacement headlights they are pretty average.

Just me feelings on the matter - in Canuckistan we haven't been as deprived of good headlight as our neighbors to the South.

~John

Do tell. What other "higher end H4 powered" options should I consider?
Pretend money is no object.

the "high end" lamp housing assembly and lens are Hella and Cibie to name just two. these use the reflector and facets of the glass lens to provide the cut off pattern for the low beam so you don't blind on coming traffic. roundeyse use a mask that is like a little bracket/arm with a bullet shaped cover that comes off bottom the reflector/housing and sits in front of the bulb. they also have clear polycarbonate lenses. hella/cibie are available in DOT compliant form as well as non DOT "euro code" configuration (i think).

RE's come with a plain jane DOT 55/60 watt H4 bulbs. There are a myriad of bulb options ranging from 10-100 dollars that you can upgrade to. the higher wattage bulbs place too much demand on the stock headlight wiring, so a harness upgrade is necessary to get the full potential of the bulbs

So really it is a three part setup.

The housing/lens.
The H4 bulb
The upgraded wiring harness.

search this forum and you will find a wealth of info on the topic

swamp60

Last edited:
I have had them in mine for around 3 years and they work great. I have not done the wiring harness upgrade, but even without it was a noticeable improvement..

i have sold more than ten sets in the last few months and everybody has been very happy with the results. about to install one of SLCs harnesses on one of the cruisers with the roundeyes. i bet they'll be even better then.

hth

georg @ valley hybrids

One of the best and most cost effective upgrades a person can make to any cruiser. I like the Round Eyes better than the Hella H4's personally. I have the hellas in my Fj40 and the round eyes in my last Fj60. Wish I would have swapped them out before I sold it. Should be on the 100dollar short list.
Any H4 bulb and housing will be an improvement over the standard sealed beam.

I have the "round-eyes" on my truck... good product.

THe only thing I've notcied or it looks like it does this to me. Is that the difference between the low and high beam (angle of the light beam )is fairly large in my view. They way it appears to me is that once you get the headlights adjusted...the low beams seem to be right on target, but the high beams seem to be pointed too high. Anyone else experience that?

Maybe I'm crazy but my low beams work great....high beams seem to be pointed to high (nothing you can do about that) with a single sealed headlight. I'm thinking to get my high beams down , its going to throw off the low beams too low. Make sense?

who do you see for a better headlight harness to use with the round eyes? I may buy some "bright" bulbs next time around. Also is the "improved" harness a plug-an-play upgrade?

I have roundeyes and they're awesome. Instant improvement. Link to their site is in my sig.

who do you see for a better headlight harness to use with the round eyes? I may buy some "bright" bulbs next time around. Also is the "improved" harness a plug-an-play upgrade?

Better headlight harnesses can be found here, at Wagon Gear. They plug into the factory wiring harness and new headlights, then require a spot to mount the relay box and finally a connection to the battery. Relatively plug and play.

I'm a broken record on this one - sorry for everyone who's heard it 1000 times.

The headlights are the first upgrade i'd do on any 60. can't speak to 62's but I can imagine it's just as important.

I've not used the round eyes, but both IPF and Cibie E-code lenses. The e-code light pattern is what i really like - flat cutoff w/ a "kick" angled up and to the right.

I got my Cibie's from Daniel Stern Lighting - LOTS of info on his site, and if you call him make sure you have a bit of time to talk. He knows his stuff. Can be slow sometimes responding and shipping, but sells quality product.

As for bulbs i went with DS's recommended Narva or Osram bulbs - just a bit brighter than stock @ 70/65W. Kept it tame since i have not done the wiring upgrade yet. I know i will get a nice improvement when i do, but the bulbs and especially lenses are the first big improvement.

I got my IPF's over Hella e codes since they were less, and i heard they actually were a bit better. Just about anything is better than stock, but they are supposed to be close.

Left is the Cibie, right is the sealed sylvania (not silverstar):
DSC_7627.JPG

HTH - GL!

I've always been curious about the Round eyes - anyone have a shot to compare with the above? 3-5' from garage door or wall to show light pattern? They are DOT, so probably do not have the same light pattern... unless they started selling e-code lenses recently (or just offroad only lenses) - i'll have to double check.

I have the ARB headlight wire harness upgrade in my FJ-60. I purchased it from Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters, and I think it was about $100.00. It is totally plug and play, even the high beam light on the dash works.

Zack

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom