Anybody put Holley EFI on an F2 and regret it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

IMHO: Yes & Yes......and my answer to the thread topic is a "NO"

The Sniper 2300 will wake a 2F up, performance wise. If possible, I'd suggest riding and/or driving a 2F vehicle with a Sniper installed. You would be suprised.

Last edited:
IMHO: Yes & Yes......and my answer to the thread topic is a "NO"

The Sniper 2300 will wake a 2F up, performance wise. If possible, I'd suggest riding and/or driving a 2F vehicle with a Sniper installed. You would be suprised.
Did you do ignition upgrades also

I love them. I use Davis Unified (DUI) ignitions to simplify and eliminate old wiring and electronics but the 60 series (recurved) dissy is a great choice as well.

thisthreadis128483904188593750.jpg

:)

Has anyone had one sit for months? any issues with it?
I don't drive the FJ40 much in winter (too much work putting the top on, don't like getting wet).
And I am concerned about not starting it from November to March.

I don't drive the FJ40 much in winter (too much work putting the top on, don't like getting wet).

It does not have a bowl to get gunked up like a carburetor. You should be fine

I have one installed on a F engine and it sits from may till September I just put a battery tender on the battery and when I return it will fire right up with no problems. With out the battery tender the battery will go dead.

Great thread — I researched most of the threads and was close to going with the Mosley kit. But, I had my distributor recurved (desmong 85F2 engine) and tuned up a trollhole carb and the FJ40 runs great & most importantly I understand and can work on a carb.

Also, for the amount of miles I drive per year it was an expensive upgrade.

Maybe the question should be if you’re running good, would you have gone with the sniper?

Great thread — I researched most of the threads and was close to going with the Mosley kit. But, I had my distributor recurved (desmong 85F2 engine) and tuned up a trollhole carb and the FJ40 runs great & most importantly I understand and can work on a carb.

Also, for the amount of miles I drive per year it was an expensive upgrade.

Maybe the question should be if you’re running good, would you have gone with the sniper?

I still have one with a JimC carb that runs so good I won’t change it out. Good point.

that said I’ll never buy or have another barn rebuilt for anything I personally own.

We just transplanted a 60 2F into my dads 1969. He went with the Jim C carb and recurved distributor and Jim did the final tuning. It runs phenomenal and isn’t even comparable to the original F. Our ‘72 build is running a sniper on a 60 2F and Jim C distributor, it only has some breakin time, but I can’t wait to compare the two trucks. The throttle response on the sniper is great as is the startups. I don’t think you can go wrong with either option.

My ‘72 build sat for a few months while we were locked down. The Dakota gauges, Vintage Air and Sniper killed the battery. I charged it up and the truck didn’t even crank before it fired up and idled. The memory is on an SD card so all the settings won’t get deleted if the battery is disconnected or dies.

May not be the proper thread, but since there are several sniper users here I'll ask...

Do y'all feel like or believe tube headers go hand-in-hand with the Sniper or do some of you continue to use stock exhaust with good luck? My truck has some leaky headers and I'd found a good factory manifold to replace it with, but now that I'm considering Sniper I wonder if going back with another set of headers isn't the best choice. Not looking to race anyone, just looking for drivability and reliability. thx.

May not be the proper thread, but since there are several sniper users here I'll ask...

Do y'all feel like or believe tube headers go hand-in-hand with the Sniper or do some of you continue to use stock exhaust with good luck? My truck has some leaky headers and I'd found a good factory manifold to replace it with, but now that I'm considering Sniper I wonder if going back with another set of headers isn't the best choice. Not looking to race anyone, just looking for drivability and reliability. thx.

FWIW - My Sniper setup uses the OEM exhaust manifold with no issues.

NPAL3974.JPG

still have one with a JimC carb that runs so good I won’t change it out. Good point.

This is the boat I'm in, JimC tuned non-US carb and dizzy, cammed out 2F. Yeah, I'm happy with the way mine runs, it'll do 70+mph, until I start up some passes.

Any of you sniper guys run any big passes at elevation? It would be interesting to get a comparison of how the sniper handles compared to the carbed engines.

East to West, I was surprised I pulled Monarch Pass in 3rd gear, but I wasn't flat out running. I was in formation with a carbed 2F FJ60, and I still had power to spare....and on the way back, I flew pass @cbmontgo (carbed 2F FJ40) at the base going up, only to have a fuel filter clog about 1000' from the summit.

East to West, I was surprised I pulled Monarch pass in 3rd gear, but I wasn't flat out running. I was in formation with a carbed 2F FJ60, and I still had power to spare....and on the way back, I flew pass @cbmontgo (carbed 2F FJ40) at the base going up, only to have a fuel filter clog about 1000' from the summit.

Yeah but @cbmontgo loves driving around with no power on bias ply tires. He would not know how to act with more than 89 Hp

East to West, I was surprised I pulled Monarch Pass in 3rd gear, but I wasn't flat out running. I was in formation with a carbed 2F FJ60, and I still had power to spare....and on the way back, I flew pass @cbmontgo (carbed 2F FJ40) at the base going up, only to have a fuel filter clog about 1000' from the summit.
Thanks, Monarch is a good pass, it's a big one. I'd be hammer down in 3rd to keep it alive, probably pushing 35mph. I forget the grade of Monarch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom