Anybody local swapped a 5.3 into an 80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking to gather some info or perhaps take a peak at a swap that's been done already. My head gasket is still of concern and after debating on it for a while, I'm thinking a 5.3 swap may be the better long-term choice. Still in the info collecting, pricing and deciding exactly what parts to use phase. Fairly set on the L33 variation of the 5.3. I'm constantly reading and rereading as many threads as I can, but there's no "how to for dummy's" out there. So if anybody locally has been down this road, I'd appreciate any insight or completed swaps to gander at.

Looking to gather some info or perhaps take a peak at a swap that's been done already. My head gasket is still of concern and after debating on it for a while, I'm thinking a 5.3 swap may be the better long-term choice. Still in the info collecting, pricing and deciding exactly what parts to use phase. Fairly set on the L33 variation of the 5.3. I'm constantly reading and rereading as many threads as I can, but there's no "how to for dummy's" out there. So if anybody locally has been down this road, I'd appreciate any insight or completed swaps to gander at.
I've put a heck of a lot of power steering fluid in my 80, does that count? But no more...its fixed.

I can't tell you how many hours (weeks?) I've put into reading about swaps over the last couple of years, but its probably the most complex topic. I don't know much about the Chevy small blocks, but for a gasser, that (one of its LS versions) is the way to go IF you were to swap. There's no right answer, but I think the consensus would be...it depends on your goals. Financially, it doesn't make sense in the short term. You really need to be in a long term relationship with your 80 (put that in your signature line--I dare you). People who live and breath LCs will say the 1FZ-FE is one of, if not the best engine Toyota made. Yes, the head gasket can be a problem, but I have 265K miles on mine, and many more in the 3 clubs have more than that on the original head gasket. As long as you're aware of your temp gauge and exhaust smoke, a lot of people drive it until it fails, and when it does, just cut the engine off immediately. Replace the gasket and you're good for another 300K miles. The other option is to simply replace the head gasket and don't worry about it. That will be far, far cheaper.

Let's say you just want a new and different engine, for no good reason, you just like the small block. Will you swap it yourself? Will you hire someone to help you? Will you drop it off at a custom shop and pick it up 2 month and $15K later? In short, you'll have to write your own how-to unless you pay $15K or more for someone to do it for you. Start with the 80 section and follow the LS or Vortex swaps, even the 60 boards. You can go to other truck boards and read about the LS. I started copy/pasting threads and other good info into word documents. I probably have 25-30 word docs on different aspects of diesel conversions, so build your own library. BTW, 2018 is my year.

I would highly suggest to look at your goals and see what is best. Good luck.

All valid points, @Beau Diddly

I get the whole long term relationship thing, Lord knows I've bought and sold more projects, cars and motorcycles than I care to admit. That being said, I don't plan on getting rid of this one (I know I know...). It's great for dog hauling, hitting the beach and about anything else I do. Just something about it every time I hop in it.

I do agree the current motor is over engineered and built, but a part of me is thinking way down the road about parts and their prices as supply dries up. The thought of being able to walk into almost any auto parts box store and get what I need for fairly cheap for the 5.3 is a big plus. The extra power won't be scoffed at either if I pull out into traffic or get up to speed on the Ravenel or the mountains in NC. Then an other part of me has always wanted to do something along these lines. Call it a bucket list item I suppose. I know, whatever helps me sleep at night to justify this, right?

As far as the actual swap itself, yeah I want to do that part myself. I have talked to the owner of my company, we have a 2 post lift and a forklift that I can use/pull the swap off there. I have probably all the remaining tools that would be needed. Sans any welding, I'm an insult to welding, but that's minor to overcome should it be necessary.

My very early thinking in the process has me believing the "easy" part will be pulling the old motor and bolting in the new one. The hard part will be the wiring, sensors, AC, alternator, fuse block and what not. You know, the important stuff.

Marks4WD down under has adapters to mate up to a 4L65 or even the stock tranny along with about everything else it appears. They're awfully proud of their parts though $$. I have a line on a source of brand new GM motors for supposedly cheap. Waiting to hear back on if the guy has one available that I want. So budget wise is $5-6k from initial research. Safer to say $7k I suspect. The wife will like the sound of $5k much better...

Anywho, that's my thoughts. I know they'll change drastically as I start to compile an actual parts list and price things out. Appreciate the feedback.

Side note, I'd love a diesel swap, but that's more money and if I'm not in over my head now, I'd certainly be on a diesel. Would enjoy helping you out in 2018 if you need a hand, just let me know.

Well Said Beau... Before i purchased my Taco, i was going all out on my TLC. LQ9, NV4500, Atlas 4spd. 1tons.
If just wanting to swap out the tired I6 id just get a adapter to stock trans.
There are many that have done swaps here and Pirate4x4.

I would give a call to Stan @NCFJ , he does a lot of ls swaps, mainly on 60 series, but he has lots of info on them, especially parts lists and where to get them.

You are not going to find a "full write up" that amounts to a set of instructions. Quite frankly, there is more than enough information on Vortec swaps on just this forum but you will have to read through many threads to find every last bit of information particular to your swap. Bottom line is that no two swaps are the same, I've not had two the same yet. Parts selection will make a difference in how the swap goes together as well. This is a basic starter list of parts......

Motor
Trans
Transfer case
Adapter(s)
Wiring harness
Trans shifter
T-case shifter
Fuel pedal (assuming DBW)
Radiator
Fan shroud
Fuel lines
Fuel pump