Anybody installed a carb fan in their non-USA FJ60? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Now that I'm actually driving my Cruiser on the road everyday I've noticed it sometimes has trouble starting when warm, which I believe is due to vapor lock in the carb. This makes sense because it has no factory carb fan like a US FJ would.
So yeah I'm wondering if any of ya'll have added a factory carb fan and documented how you did it. It looks like I'd need to relocate the charcoal canister and AC drier can, and then figure out the wiring somehow.

As always your guys' help is much appreciated.

Are you in the US? Do you have the vents on the fenders for a fan? If you don't have the USA-spec smog crap, you don't really need one. You could prolly get away with installing hood louvers instead, to exit some of the heat.

I don't know, mine is completely desmogged and it struggles with vapor lock if my fan isn't working.

You might look into the routing of your fuel lines. Check that they are insulated and that the hard line from the pump is not touching the block. I put 300,000 miles on a desmogged 60 without a functioning carb blower and with headers, in some extremely hot and high altitude locations and never once had a vapor lock issue.

The one 60 I did have trouble with was fully smogged with a functioning blower and an electric fuel pump the PO had hacked into the system to replace the mechanical pump. He had run the fuel line to the carb along the firewall. I replaced the OEM pump and fuel hard line at the front of the block and haven't had a problem since.

I doubt the problem is the lack of a carb blower.

Are you in the US? Do you have the vents on the fenders for a fan? If you don't have the USA-spec smog crap, you don't really need one. You could prolly get away with installing hood louvers instead, to exit some of the heat.
I'm not sure what vents you're talking about. Hood louvers might work but I'd like to avoid any cutting sheet metal.

You might look into the routing of your fuel lines. Check that they are insulated and that the hard line from the pump is not touching the block. I put 300,000 miles on a desmogged 60 without a functioning carb blower and with headers, in some extremely hot and high altitude locations and never once had a vapor lock issue.

The one 60 I did have trouble with was fully smogged with a functioning blower and an electric fuel pump the PO had hacked into the system to replace the mechanical pump. He had run the fuel line to the carb along the firewall. I replaced the OEM pump and fuel hard line at the front of the block and haven't had a problem since.

I doubt the problem is the lack of a carb blower.
The hard line doesn't touch the block, unless you count the brackets that attach it. If there was liquid fuel in the float bowl wouldn't it start on that, regardless of what was in the hard line?

I seem to remember some pretty heated (pun intended) debates here on MUD about whether or not 'vapor lock' was a real thing in these 2F carbed engines...

I don't have the threads handy, but I do remember that there are/were threads out there on it...so I guess the first thing in order would be to decide if you believe (or are convinced) that vapor lock is a thing...

...if not, then there is another root cause for problems during hot start (valves out of adjustment, vac leak(s) - bad gasket(s), mistuned carb/ignition timing...)

...if so, then please proceed as normal and forget that I ever brought this up...

vapor lock is a potential issue with carb applications (mainly) and more so where high under hood temps are common.

Mud has been either not loading properly or just crashing my computer a lot, so if I don't respond to this thread for a while that's probably why.

Anywho I don't know for sure that the problem is vapor lock. My symptoms seemed to match those of people with broken carb fans, and I have no carb fan, so it seemed a logical guess. But you're right it could be something else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom