Anybody here know this 40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Found this one on FB marketplace outside Birmingham the other day. It had been for sale a while at $18,500 and then taken down before being put back up at current price with an additional drive train package. I'm interested in it without the additional drive train but I also don't want to drive 5+ hours just to turn around empty handed.

Thought I'd ask here to see if the owner was on here or if anyone had firsthand knowledge of the 40 - or if someone local would be willing to check it out for me I'd be happy to pay for the time.

Thanks in advance

Found this one on FB marketplace outside Birmingham the other day. It had been for sale a while at $18,500 and then taken down before being put back up at current price with an additional drive train package. I'm interested in it without the additional drive train but I also don't want to drive 5+ hours just to turn around empty handed.

Thought I'd ask here to see if the owner was on here or if anyone had firsthand knowledge of the 40 - or if someone local would be willing to check it out for me I'd be happy to pay for the time.

Thanks in advance
I don’t know the 40, but that’s the same guy I sold my 62 series to back in 2016. I sold him that om617 too. He’s a good guy, I think he buys and sells/flips most of them.
That drivetrain package is no where near $10k. I sold him the om617 with 4x4labs conversion stuff for around $1k.

Yep, I thought $10k for the drivetrain and a best top rear seat was a bit excessive too. Guess I’m concerned that it sat around for so long at $18,500 and has been repainted so I’m not sure how to approach it to make an offer. He seems like a good dude but I haven’t been able to get pictures underneath it from him yet. Thanks for the insight on the parts as well.

D950ACCD-597C-49DB-ACD7-6FA7D439F39F.jpeg
7F8A56F4-BABD-4982-B871-237EE436ADFB.jpeg
B7939908-0BE6-49EC-9C07-3E263FD686EB.jpeg

here’s what he sent me the other day, hopefully that helps.

Here are a couple others that I was sent

View attachment 2437333View attachment 2437335
I'm definitely not a 40 guru, but it seems like there's definitely rust hiding in that body. Probably more so than the pics show. But if you are ok with that, then go for it. I don't see it as an $18.5k rig, but others may disagree.

Also, see that pic of the passenger rear taillight/corner rust? See how the rear seal has 2 self tapping screws in it? It looks like it's holding on some kind of patch, b/c that isn't factory...

Nope, 10k-12k with drive-train included. I'm also cheap.

If you are willing to spend that kind of money, keep looking. That kind of $$ should get you a REALLY clean running driving 40.

The 40 market is ridiculous right now, but that is too much for that truck. Being a 76, it will be a 2F truck. Also, doesn't say anything about power steering, so probably still has a manual box. Again for that kind of money, id be looking for disc brakes, power steering, etc.

Edit: if it is a 76, then it may be a disc brake truck, but it will have teh "small pattern" knuckles that were used in 76 and 77 that were later replaced with the large pattern knuckles in 78 that match the minitruck knuckles.

Last edited:
I’m not trying to spend $30k on one but I feel like a solid one could be bought somewhere in the neighborhood of $16k. Sounds like I need to pass on this one. If anyone knows of one please let me know, the closer to GA the better and bonus points if it’s a factory shade of green.

Agree, $16k is a decent budget. Again, the market is stupid, but you should be able to find something in pretty good shape for under $20k. Ill keep my eyes open for you.

I was thinking the same, thanks for looking. I don’t need something too nice, just a good driver that’s mostly complete. I can handle the mechanical work, I don’t have time for major body work though.

An old used car salesman once told me, "There's an arse for every seat".

No expert here, either, but knowing that it's a 45yo Japanese truck, with some clearly visible rust, paint that doesn't match, maybe some not-great patchwork done before, that takes it from a $15-16k truck down to a $10-12k truck- and it's really only that much because of how desirable 40s have become. The extra drivetrain, meh. He can 100% keep that headache for the extra $10-15k. I'd laugh at the seller for bringing it up.

Could it be driven as is? Probably. This is AL, there are older, crappier cars that folks make work all over the place. But for the money people want to charge - gonna need some real resto work to get those $$$. This one will sit a while...or someone with more money than sense (or experience with old cars) will come along and write a check, then be pissed they have to dump in another bucket of money to get what they thought they were getting the first time.

There is way more rust in that than you see.

Looks like may have a coat of filler and a cover up paint job that has now rusted through

I'd open your search up to as far as you're willing to drive back, then be willing to move quickly and fly out to the rig to drive it back. The others above have covered well what all that kind of money can buy. The 40 market is nuts, sure, but keep an eye out. There are lots of cruiserheads out there who would rather see their rig sell for a more reasonable price in order for the truck to go to someone they believe will use and take care of it.

I'm pretty sure that 40 was at the alabama overland camp out a few years ago. The owner at the time talked to me about selling that cruiser for about 12k.

I remember some advice woody gave me years ago. He said all 40s are projects, even the expensive restored ones. Keep in mind this was more than 10 years ago when you could buy a driver for less than 5k and frame off jobs for considerably less than 30 grand. I am not confident that a rise in purchase price changes the fact that all 40s will constantly need some sort of attention.

I'm avoiding home work and just did some facebook stalking. Drew Faust has pics of that 40 in his public mobile photos album. Dated October 2018. I am 99% sure thats the 40 I am thinking of and Drew's pictures confirm it has been repainted, the inside of the upper fender skits are still tan.

I remember some advice woody gave me years ago. He said all 40s are projects, even the expensive restored ones. Keep in mind this was more than 10 years ago when you could buy a driver for less than 5k and frame off jobs for considerably less than 30 grand. I am not confident that a rise in purchase price changes the fact that all 40s will constantly need some sort of attention.

That's a real important point for anyone looking at any kind of classic car- I think folks forget sometimes that these are OLD, OLD mechanical devices. No matter what, they're gonna need some help unless/ until you replace everrrrryyyyything that could have worn down/out over the last 50 years, making a new car out of it. And at that point is it really the same thing anymore? It's like the FJ40 of Theseus. :D

@futurefjowner I appreciate you letting me know. I meant to update this thread the other day, I put a deposit down on one and it’s supposed to be picked up tomorrow from another forum member.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom