Anybody Have an SM420 and AA Twin Stick Pivot Bracket? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The AA bracket is drilled to allow you to retain the stock location (e.g. tranny tunnel shifter hole), or move it back 4.5" to accomodate the AA SM420 adapter. Well, I'm pulling my old linkage where I had cut a hole 4.5" back and want to move the new twin stick pivot point back to the original location - however, the bracket is going to need a ton of shimming, more grinding on my later SM420 ribs, etc. to fit. Anyone running something similar and have any input/solutions? Pictures?

Yes I know I could make my own up - but it really is easier to mod an existing bracket.

I could redrill, hack it up, reweld, etc.

Because of the shape of the 420, there aren't than many possible locations where the linkage will be located in the stock location. There is this one:

sm420_24.jpg

It locates the stock 4sp shift lever in the stock location in the tranny hump and can be used for twin stick style shifters with more fabrication. I have a few more brackets if you want one.

My experience w/ the kit was that I had to rework the mount (a few times) on the 420 further forward to get enough throw to fully activate the hi/ low shifter on the tcase. You will need to mount your bracket low enough to keep the angle at a minimum. I've seen a few pics floating around here of that setup.

Part of my problem is that I've got a later version SM420 with the ribs - grinding stuff off is part of my options - for example I was running a 4-speed case with 2.31 gears and a fine spline front output - I just ground the ribs off the case to fit. With the Orion HD output being shorter than stock - I just ground some more. I think I can get my AA linkage pin adapter to work if I grind another rib off - picture it being just below the pin pivot on the older SM420 Pinhead posted above - it's a pain. This ribbed 420 must be freaking bulletproof as far as case strength - maybe great for the dumptruck it came out of, but not really needed for my 40.

I can work with the current AA adapter I was running - and prefer it as the Orion HD twinstick has nice shifter blocks and bushings that match the AA pin. If need be, I'll just grind the threads off that pin and weld it to the plate where I need it ;)

I'll try and post a pic later tonight.

after much research I found the best shifter for the 420 to lc t-case is to crawl under truck with a ball peen.

You just need to space the adaptor away from the side of the tranny a bit to clear the ribs. It is not a big deal compared to grinding off the ribs.

I have the ribs on mine too. I just set my mounting plate on the top rib & built outward using the two bosses in the side of the tranny. You *may need to brace down from the top of the tranny shifter plate (sim. to stock) depending on how far out you place the mounting bracket. Mock up your plate & make sure you can fully engage the hi/ low. You *may need to shorten/ lengthen the hi/ low shifter bracket as well.

after much research I found the best shifter for the 420 to lc t-case is to crawl under truck with a ball peen.

Ha! With the AA adapter and stock linkage - that's almost what I was starting to do with my 4-wheel drive linkage towards the end. Hence twin stick.

Yeah - I can space out from the ribs and might just barely be able to bend the twin stick levers to clear the tub - will also have to round off the square bottoms of the twin stick blocks (AA part that you connect linkage and well levers into) as they sit on a rib (even with the plate spaced out).

Thanks for feedback - everything is in the truck and bolted in - so I guess I was just looking for an easy option (like I didn't have the AA plate in right) but new deep down there will be spacing, grinding, and fabbing to get it to work - at least it's an easy minor thing to fix :D.

I don't recall any grinding ...

web.jpg

Sean - Yup that's the ribbed SM420 and the exact same bracket that I have - am adding the twin stick with the Orion HD. I used to run it in the same location (see where there's 4 sets of bolt holes - and it's all the way back in the pic) with a standard case and stock linkage. I am wanting to move that bracket all the way forward and that's when the conflict comes up...but needs to be done to give me proper spacing for the front nosecone linkage. Had 5 minutes to look at it last night and think I'll be ok with just a little grinding and spacing it out with longer bolts - without having to cut the floor (had a lady friend over last night - got distracted :D)

Sean - Yup that's the ribbed SM420 and the exact same bracket that I have - am adding the twin stick with the Orion HD. I used to run it in the same location (see where there's 4 sets of bolt holes - and it's all the way back in the pic) with a standard case and stock linkage. I am wanting to move that bracket all the way forward and that's when the conflict comes up...but needs to be done to give me proper spacing for the front nosecone linkage. Had 5 minutes to look at it last night and think I'll be ok with just a little grinding and spacing it out with longer bolts - without having to cut the floor (had a lady friend over last night - got distracted :D)

Ah, gotcha! I wasn't understanding what you were trying to do at first! Couldn't you fab up some new linkage?

You ended up grinding the rib or the plate, or both?

BTW - I'm married, I never get distracted anymore!:bang:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom