anybody ever put an fj40 fuel tank in an fj55? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a destroyed fuel tank from my fj55 which is basically impossible to replace. So my solution to replacing the fuel tank while retaining the stock emissions system is to swap an fj40 fuel tank in the back with custom mounts and an fj40 fuel separator as they have three nipples on the bottom while the fj55 has four. However, I was worried that changing everything would effect how the check valve works (im still young and learning lol) so I checked the part number for fj40/55 check valves and they are identical meaning there shouldn't be any issues I assume.

I will be ordering the steel aftermarket 16 gallon tank and a used fj40 fuel separator next week and then building some custom mounts to fit it in the fj55 tank location, if anyone is interested I can update with pictures as things come together. I would love some advice because I cant find any info on this sort of thing.

I have a destroyed fuel tank from my fj55 which is basically impossible to replace. So my solution to replacing the fuel tank while retaining the stock emissions system is to swap an fj40 fuel tank in the back with custom mounts and an fj40 fuel separator as they have three nipples on the bottom while the fj55 has four. However, I was worried that changing everything would effect how the check valve works (im still young and learning lol) so I checked the part number for fj40/55 check valves and they are identical meaning there shouldn't be any issues I assume.

I will be ordering the steel aftermarket 16 gallon tank and a used fj40 fuel separator next week and then building some custom mounts to fit it in the fj55 tank location, if anyone is interested I can update with pictures as things come together. I would love some advice because I cant find any info on this sort of thing.
Interesting timing as I am closing in on having to grapple with my fuel tank issues as well. Last night I received delivery of my AN6 to 3/8" barbed fuel connector and will be installing a 100 micron pre fuel pump filter to hopefully screen out the bigger debris coming from my fuel tank. I have a 10 micron filter just before the carburetor that has been doing a great job though it frequently gets restrictive with the fuel tank debris. Hopefully the new 100-micron filter either solves the problem or buys me some more time to figure out a lasting solution like a cleaned out tank.
My wife overheard me talking with one of my boys about my dropping the fuel tank and refurbishing it and went histerical... I agreed not to do it so I can keep the peace around the house...

BTW, I have searched a 250 mile radius (Hendersonville NC) for a shop that refurbishes fuel tanks - no joy. One of the old mechanics I did talk to says that service is rarely asked for anymore so shops don't see the need to keep that skill.

Good timing for me too on a tank discussion - and sorry if this is a slight highjack - @Big Sexy, are you putting a new bung in the tank? I am running 3/8 from engine back and was per other suggestions going to go into the tank though the fuel sender - no joy, couldn't get the 3/8 fittings to work and angle on hard line is too great for the small space. My tank is near perfect inside and I am inclined to keep it as I have so many other bits to do to get mine on the road. So are you using the original 5/16" outlet, or something else?

Now, more relevant to this thread, @coffelt6, @jmack had a suggestion for a replacement tank that I can't find right now (thought it was in my thread, but must have been from somewhere else), it's an option for replacement with more capacity, but doesn't use stock set-up, might be an option...

For me, I am trying to figure if I can tuck an small aux tank in the space where the spare goes and use the main tank drain as a filler...or maybe a swirl tank or something.

Interesting timing...

I was talking with someone about making some replacement Pig tanks that would accommodate an in-tank pump for FI Pigs.

I personally would like to still be able to run the spare tire winch under the tank, as I think I can fit a 33x10.5 underneath.

@RUSH55 was giving us details on the frame mounted tanks, while my ‘74 tank mounts to the body. I wonder if it is the body mounted tanks that tear?

Does anyone have the details on how these fuel tanks evolved over the years?

Would anyone be interested in a reproduction? Probably close to the stock volume, ~21 gallons.

Right here👆

Filler neck goes in the top? Looks like some fab required out of the box to get that working...

From your thread here:

Good picture of the frame mount for tanks. That got me wondering if one design could accommodate both the body mount and frame mount...

I was thinking it would be way easier for early body mounted tanks to switch to frame mounted by either sourcing pedestals or making them, UNLESS... the early frames have no mounting holes in the frame and they would need drilled, which in case would be a total PITA and probably stop most people cold in their tracks at attempting that conversion. It could be done with an angle-head drill, but you’re also talking about drilling through 2 layers of frame steel, and the furthest forward holes go beyond where the frame is boxed.

the frame mounts don't look very special and would be fairly easy to bend up

DSCF4031.JPG

I bet the move to frame mounts was for production line ease, brobably no other benefit?

My local rad shop boiled out my tank before sending up to to shop 2 hrs from here for cleaning & lining.

I bet the move to frame mounts was for production line ease, brobably no other benefit?

My local rad shop boiled out my tank before sending up to to shop 2 hrs from here for cleaning & lining.
Unfortunately my local radiator shop took a look inside my tank and visibly cringed lol. Unless I want to spend an unreasonable amount of money repairing mine then I think replacement is the only option.

🤔 I wonder if Toyota just changed the mounts from body to frame? Tank looks similar to my '74 body mount...

Got any to compare @3_puppies

I don't have any later tanks, I sold the 78 I had years ago.

for some reason I was thinking the volume changed in the later years, 2-3 extra gallons??

I don't have any later tanks, I sold the 78 I had years ago.

for some reason I was thinking the volume changed in the later years, 2-3 extra gallons??
Hey I was wondering if you possibly have any fj55 tanks you would be willing to let go?

Hey I was wondering if you possibly have any fj55 tanks you would be willing to let go?

I have those 2 in the pic I posted, 1 has some broken screws at the sender location, that broke when getting a look inside.
they are both frame mounted tanks.

BTW, I have searched a 250 mile radius (Hendersonville NC) for a shop that refurbishes fuel tanks - no joy. One of the old mechanics I did talk to says that service is rarely asked for anymore so shops don't see the need to keep that skill.
No radiator shops near you? That's who usually boils out the tanks...

Unfortunately my local radiator shop took a look inside my tank and visibly cringed lol. Unless I want to spend an unreasonable amount of money repairing mine then I think replacement is the only option.
You could try a mild muriatic acid wash? Sounds like you will need to do repeated rinsing...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom