Anybody ever have their crank pully fall off???? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The pulley is toast, pulled it off today and it has a 1" crack along the keyway, so now I get to go through the fun of finding a replacement. :bang:

So I found a replacement pulley, I drilled and tapped the crank, so I should be good now.

I have a press fit single grove crank pulley on a 64 - f engine. During reassembly the crank pulley is loose, no wobble, but is not locking. I see the recommendation for 660 Loctite or drill the crank. Is this still the best option?

This is something you hear about a lot on the old (50's and 60's) Chevy inline 6's and V8's. My 283, for example, is just a press fit (no bolt) and I have a pretty significant balancer wobble as well. A lot of folks drill and tap the crank for the balancer bolt found on later 350's.

Out of curiosity, how did you drill and tap? Just hand drill with the engine in the truck? Or did you pull the crank and put it in a lathe/press to get it dead-nuts-straight. I've been on the Chevy forums about my own truck - trying to figure out how best to do it, and opinions range from "12V drill and a steady arm" to custom alignment tools, to machine shops.

I have a press fit single grove crank pulley on a 64 - f engine. During reassembly the crank pulley is loose, no wobble, but is not locking. I see the recommendation for 660 Loctite or drill the crank. Is this still the best option?

Sam

Got your message. Hella behind on projects and working late. I milled the claw off the HB on my '68 and hand-drilled the crank. On the rebuilt engine I put in the '65, I just started with a newer crank.

Drill, baby drill.

Drill, baby drill.

Not to hijack, but any tips here? Not sure how the FJ40 crank and crank bolt compares to a 283 crank, but cutting 7/16" out of the center of my 283 crank shaft for the Chevy balancer bolt without a guide of some sort makes me nervous...that's a big hole in a skinny piece of metal.

Not to hijack, but any tips here? Not sure how the FJ40 crank and crank bolt compares to a 283 crank, but cutting 7/16" out of the center of my 283 crank shaft for the Chevy balancer bolt without a guide of some sort makes me nervous...that's a big hole in a skinny piece of metal.
Rick I wish I could offer some insight here but I am trying to sort it out myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom