Anybody consistently dunking electric cooling fans ? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As part of an LS swap, installed electric cooling fans. I’ve seen folks with electric’s, add a switch to shut them off, during river crossings.

But as I look at these motors, I wonder if they are at all practical. We do a lot of water crossings, often with the grit that comes with the fine flour of glacial silt.

Wondering if I should just reroute some cooling lines, and figure out how to fit a mechanical fan ?

Has anybody had extended experience with water & electric cooling fans ?

Do you have Spal fans?
No, Lincoln

Mainly because the shroud is almost an exact fit over the OEM radiator

Hmm... I'd feel pretty good about a motorcraft part vs an aftermarket other than Spal (which tends to be an OEM fan for many).

I can't say with any direct experience on those but I think you'll be alright. Throw a tarp over the front bumper?

I'd think that you're gonna run into other issues before your fans give out if you're that deep.

They run in the rain all the time........

Shutting them off in the water is so they don't burn up due to resistance of the blades through the water, not the water itself.

I use a 100 series Depo brand installed on my 80. Been underwater many time over the years without issue. It only draws around 5-7amps when running.

Is that in place of the mechanical fan or in conjunction?

I use a 100 series Depo brand installed on my 80. Been underwater many time over the years without issue. It only draws around 5-7amps when running.
I have installed dual 12 inch fans with a new alum radiator and shroud. Having cooling trouble at idle now. Any suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom