Any way to boost power steering? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

:rofl:

"It is what it is, nothing you can do about it."

Hold my beer, mate, ima try a couple things...
horror-4.jpg

Back in 2021, before any of the TNGA-F trucks were announced, Toyota sent me (a new LC owner) a survey on various preferences. Cozy, nesting cockpit vs open airy cockpit. Powerful engine sound vs silent and refined. Etc. Steering effort was one of the preferences they asked about. So, they’re certainly aiming for a particular steering effort. Doesn’t mean things can’t go awry during assembly.

Doesn’t mean things can’t go awry during assembly.

I doubt it. These are most likely exactly as they spec them.

I agree initial assembly is almost certainly on spec. I should have said “after assembly”. It sounds like folks are noting differences in steering effort. Perhaps from wear and tear or secondary installations.

Last edited:
So
Update, new pump made no difference
Adjusting the variable power steering solenoid on top of the pump made a difference up high over 1000rpm but went stiff like it was before under these rpm
After pulling relief valves apart and mucking around with varying the voltage on the coil it didn’t make a change
I found one tiny shim in the top electronic variable relief, removed that and so far feels like a different car, full power steering right through the rpm range, not awful heavy as before ( heavy was still drivesble) you can hardly steer the thing with no power steering
Going for an 800km drive over the weekend to see how it feels

View attachment 3477349

View attachment 3477350

Very interested as I would prefer a slightly lighter steering feel as well. (At least the wife would stop complaining about it when she drives)

Did you remove a shim or that washer underneath the bolt?

Also, how are you adjusting the variable power steering module? Do you turn it left or right to loosen or tighten the steering?

Last edited:
Step 1 remove the nut and take coil off
Step 2 get 32mm (I think) socket a deep one maybe be easier
Remove that whole relief cartridge
Oil will go everywhere so if you can drain the tank first to stop mess
Leave the main relief spool and spring down inside the pump
There’s a 16mm flat to pull the spool apart you have in your hand, undo this
Remove the poppet spool and under this I had a steel washer about 1mm thick and 8mm diameter
There is a small spring on top of this
Remove that washer
Mine now lives in the bin

I hated driving the car until I fixed this
My arms would be tired after a big drive

Backing the adjustment screw, unscrewing it only made steering better over 1000rpm
It’s easy to try, wind it out around 2 turns and go for a drive
You will feel what power steering feels like again
That shim I removed must restrict flow at low rpm, now i feel like not selling my 21 model 200
I have 3” lift and 34” tyres and gvm upgrade too, everyone said its the lift and tyres but it was like it before I did this and Toyota warranty wouldn’t look at it because of mods

Backing the adjustment screw, unscrewing it only made steering better over 1000rpm
It’s easy to try, wind it out around 2 turns and go for a drive
You will feel what power steering feels like again
That shim I removed must restrict flow at low rpm, now i feel like not selling my 21 model 200
I have 3” lift and 34” tyres and gvm upgrade too, everyone said its the lift and tyres but it was like it before I did this and Toyota warranty wouldn’t look at it because of mods

Thanks!

Sorry to sound daft, but where is the adjustment screw? I’m wondering if we have a difference between cruisers as I don’t see it on the pump assembly. Is yours a diesel or gas cruiser?

Thanks!

Sorry to sound daft, but where is the adjustment screw? I’m wondering if we have a difference between cruisers as I don’t see it on the pump assembly. Is yours a diesel or gas cruiser?
Mines diesel

This is straight on top of pump, diesel v8 one, 2021, the early pumps didn’t have this bit

IMG_3507.jpeg

Mines diesel
Well that throws a monkey wrench in the equation. I don’t think the 5.7L gas cruisers have the same power steering pump when compared to the 4.5L diesel cruisers.

On the gas, the pump solenoid has the connection in the area where the adjustment screw would be. (Dang)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom