Any US HDJ80 TD VX Owners Out There? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BustaRibs

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm considering importing a '97 HDJ80 TD VX but curious what to expect the driving experience to be. The vehicle is a LHD manual with the 4.2 ltr engine.

If anyone has one please reach out. Thank you!

Yeah there's quite a few guys with them on here. Where would it be coming from?

Driving it is a good experience, what specifically are you wondering about? Keeps up with traffic just fine and gets "great" gas mileage, for a cruiser. I'm at about 18-19mpg pretty consistently on 35s.

There's a lot of nuances to these old diesel trucks. Maybe you already have experience with diesels? I didn't and these are some of the things I've learned

General diesel stuff:
- You should get an EGT gauge to watch the health of your engine and the safety of your tune, heat's the biggest engine killer
- You'll want to use some sort of diesel additive because of the lack of sulfur in US diesel, to keep things lubricated
- You'll want to get an intercooler
- You can tune your injector pump with simple hand tools and make more power but the actual technique takes some time to learn
- You'll be spending a ton of time here: Diesel Tech / 24 volts - https://forum.ih8mud.com/forums/diesel-tech-24-volts.24/

Parts and maintenance:
- Parts are about as easy to find as US 80 parts in terms of availability, but most of them will have to come from overseas (partsouq is what I use, or @Japan4X4 for hard to find parts)
- You may want a daily driver other than this cruiser in case you're down for a couple weeks waiting on parts
- Australia has a huge aftermarket for diesel 80s (intercoolers, airboxes, snorkels, turbos, exhausts, etc.) but shipping is expensive and takes a while
- You most likely want to do all your own wrenching as most shops don't know Toyota diesels. It's better to know your own truck inside and out anyway, in my opinion
- The engine is simple and reliable. You'll love it

Overall, I love my truck though it is a rabbit hole and can take up a lot of your time, depending on maintenance records and condition.

It's the 1HDFT engine. The truck is in the Netherlands now but was originally from Germany.

I own 4 diesel pick ups (all 7.3 Fords, my other passion) but have to admit I'm much more familiar with driving them then working on them. I have a business that takes up so much of my time that I really don't have the luxury of doing much vehicle maintenance.

TY

It's the 1HDFT engine. The truck is in the Netherlands now but was originally from Germany.

I own 4 diesel pick ups (all 7.3 Fords, my other passion) but have to admit I'm much more familiar with driving them then working on them. I have a business that takes up so much of my time that I really don't have the luxury of doing much vehicle maintenance.

TY
That would be an awesome purchase, LHD 1HDFT manual is like a holy grail truck for a lot of people.

That's the only thing I would figure out - who's gonna do the maintenance. You can do it yourself no problem with a few tools and the FSM but if you're low on time that might be tough

I've been searching for one of these for a couple years and am definitely one of those guys that considers this a "holy grail" truck.

But now that I've found one and before I drop a lot of money I want to be sure this is what I really want. My 97 7.3 F350 is also a "holy grail" truck for me because it is a single cab 350 with the PS and 5sp manual. But that produces 225 hp compared to 170-175 (?) on the 1HDFT so that's why I asked what the driving experience is like.

Not sure I'd buy it if it were an auto but because it's manual, I'm def considering it.
That would be an awesome purchase, LHD 1HDFT manual is like a holy grail truck for a lot of people.

That's the only thing I would figure out - who's gonna do the maintenance. You can do it yourself no problem with a few tools and the FSM but if you're low on time that might be tough

Stock form they are not real exciting. Especially if all clogged up with soot from EGR.

We are just finishing a project now though with an FTE. It has +30% fuel, aftermarket turbo pushing 30psi, a chip and an intercooler. It is also part time 4wd but we have 315hp and 550ftlbs to the rear wheels. It’s a screamer.

So you can get a lot out of the 1HDT/FT/FTE but that costs $$$.

If it’s rust free, not trashed, has been taken care of and isn’t $75k I say buy it.

Cheers

Stock form they are not real exciting. Especially if all clogged up with soot from EGR.

We are just finishing a project now though with an FTE. It has +30% fuel, aftermarket turbo pushing 30psi, a chip and an intercooler. It is also part time 4wd but we have 315hp and 550ftlbs to the rear wheels. It’s a screamer.

So you can get a lot out of the 1HDT/FT/FTE but that costs $$$.

If it’s rust free, not trashed, has been taken care of and isn’t $75k I say buy it.

Cheers

Well, if I do get this truck here I now have something really exciting to look forward to! I'm gonna reach out to you if I do buy this one.

Here is the dyno graph on the FTE.

3A0FBF67-873F-4E38-BE58-C3B007CC0690.jpeg

We have built a half dozen FT/FTEs now and I even have a 1995 HDJ80 with an FT myself that is being built into an 80 pickup.

Cheers

I've got one--1997, 1HD-FT, manual transmission. Love it.

As mentioned above, the driving experience of the truck in stock form is...adequate. It will keep up with traffic on the highway, and has enough power to climb mountain passes, but if your thing is to always be the first one to get anywhere, you may want to tinker with the tuning. My right foot is pretty light, and I'm used to driving 3B and 1HZ powered Landcruisers, so the HDJ80 feels pretty powerful to me. On stock size tires I'm getting low to mid 20's mpg.

Feels gutsier than the gasoline powered 80's I've driven, but my only experience with those is with automatic transmissions, so it's not really apples to apples.

They are very tuneable in stock form also.

Toyota tuned them conservatively. In most cases you can get maybe 10- 15% improvement just through tuning and increasing boost a little. More with exhaust upgrade, intercooler etc.
Then the next step up is a turbo upgrade for a 30-50% increase in output.

The manual versions are enjoyable to drive in my experience.

Mine is an auto but hitting 1400 rpms at 60kph in overdrive and giving it just enough throttle to spool makes for some impressive torque as the power pours on to 90kph

Really appreciate all the input. Exactly what I needed to hear. Working on import details now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom