Any tips on increasing PS pump pressure? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am finally adding hydro assist and I need to know if there is a way to increase the pressure on a stock fj80 PS pump. Thanks in advance!

C84DE591-82DA-44F6-AEDF-F291B7DB99D3.jpeg

Thanks! I’ll check the warranty documentation.

There is no way to increase pressure output. You could drill out the pressure port a drill size or two but that would only allow greater volume. I don’t know what negative side affects that might cause.

Based on info from West Texas Off Road where I bought my ram and others here on mud who have done hydro assist, I left my pump stock running a 1.5” ram.

The pump puts out plenty of pressure to run hydro assist. The only issue is a lack of flow at idle. I also run a brake hydro booster so my pump is powering more than most. At pretty much any thing above idle rpm the steering works very well. At idle the steering is more powerful than without hydro assist but slow. If I’m jammed up in rocks and can’t roll, I just bring up rpm’s by either slipping the converter or shifting to neutral. This has worked well for me.

Last edited:
I run a Hydraulic winch on my turbo truck and did a crap ton of testing before starting to install on customer vehicles. Sure, having a higher pressure pump maybe could speed things up but never an issue with operation. I can’t imagine hydroassist steering would require a higher demand than the winch.

You could go Full Hydro. I did that on my buggy that is based on an 80. I used a kit from trail gear, 2.7L 3.4L Tacoma Full Hydraulic Steering Kit - https://trail-gear.com/steering/hydraulic-steering/2-7l-3-4l-tacoma-full-hydraulic-steering-kit.html. I removed the stock PS pump, made a block off plate. I then took the AC bracket and made a mounting bracket from he 3.4L Tacoma PS pump. Works great. I had to have the knuckle arms machines out to except the Heim Joints. If you want more info PM me.

There is no way to increase pressure output. You could drill out the pressure port a drill size or two but that would only allow greater volume. I don’t know what negative side affects that might cause.

Based on info from West Texas Off Road where I bought my ram and others here on mud who have done hydro assist, I left my pump stock running a 1.5” ram.

The pump puts out plenty of pressure to run hydro assist. The only issue is a lack of flow at idle. I also run a brake hydro booster so my pump is powering more than most. At pretty much any thing above idle rpm the steering works very well. At idle the steering is more powerful than without hydro assist but slow. If I’m jammed up in rocks and can’t roll, I just bring up rpm’s by either slipping the converter or shifting to neutral. This has worked well for me.
Got it!

You could go Full Hydro. I did that on my buggy that is based on an 80. I used a kit from trail gear, 2.7L 3.4L Tacoma Full Hydraulic Steering Kit - https://trail-gear.com/steering/hydraulic-steering/2-7l-3-4l-tacoma-full-hydraulic-steering-kit.html. I removed the stock PS pump, made a block off plate. I then took the AC bracket and made a mounting bracket from he 3.4L Tacoma PS pump. Works great. I had to have the knuckle arms machines out to except the Heim Joints. If you want more info PM me.
A bit sketchy for a street driven truck if hydraulics fail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom