Any tips on deep cleaning the windshield? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What does everyone use to deep clean your windshield? I have an '05 with the original windshield. It's covered in road grit and when driving into into the sun, it's hard to see out of. I think I'm going to try Bar Keepers Friend then clay bar it. Anyone have some more ideas?

Razor blade with any type of lubricant (windex w/vinegar, rain-x, dish soap, etc..), then clay bar, then polish with a rotary buffer and glass polish if you really want to, and finally coat with either rain-x, ceramic coating, or other hydrophobic substance. Don’t forget to clean & coat the wiper blades too. It’ll be crystal clear and the wiper blades will skim across it effortlessly.

What does everyone use to deep clean your windshield? I have an '05 with the original windshield. It's covered in road grit and when driving into into the sun, it's hard to see out of. I think I'm going to try Bar Keepers Friend then clay bar it. Anyone have some more ideas?
When I had a window cleaning business I would use 000 extra fine steel wool. Just make sure u don’t reuse it because the rust will scratch the glass, but when it’s new it won’t. Just use it over clean glass and with a little dish soap and water and it works great. Don’t over pressure it just let it do the work.

X2 on the steel wool

Larry from AMMO NYC has some tips- You dont need to use his products but he goes over some good techniques.

20191024_163043.jpg

20191024_171754_HDR.jpg

IMG_20191024_171920_01.jpg

Razorblade can scratch the glass- I would avoid that.

Polishing glass is done with Cerium Oxide- you can google it for the “how to” and mixing percentages and you can buy the material on Amazon

Glass and mirror manufacturers use a product called cerium oxide. Glass is too expensive to throw away (by the time it gets to the inspection station, anyway), so unless there's a major flaw, it gets polished. Glass sales people (like Binswanger, for example) will tell you that glass can't be polished, but that's because they're in the business of selling glass, not fixing it.

I use water spot remover similar to @MongooseGA, on a plain old microfiber towel with some elbow grease.

Then a quick clean with Non-ammonia glass cleaner and then some rain-x after.

One of my favorite life hacks was when I started keeping a microfiber towel and some rain x windshield cleaner/treatment in the door. Gives me something to do while I'm waiting at a slow gas pump.

^ Good point - RainX is also good for filling in the micro inclusions in the glass-

x3 on the 000 steel wool.

Haven't tried the cerium oxide. Any recommendations for products that contain that?

Just buy pure cerium oxide ( powder) and mix it into a liquid paste-

Try super fine steel wool and glass cleaner
I know steel wool on glass lol trust me super fine does not scratch
I even used good car polish

I just did this 3 days ago and a huge difference. Followed this video.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom