Any tips on cleaning the heater core? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My cruiser is having trouble with the front heaters warming up, a buddy recommended flushing out the heater core with a garden hose... is this a proper way to do it? I read that people also use vinegar and other chemicals. Has anyone done this or care to explain the process?

I'd try a new thermostat first

You're saying front heaters! There's only one front heater core and one rear heater core.

I'd first check coolant level.

Coolant level is check with vehicle level. Even better, front end higher than rear of vehicle. This orients radiator top/cap as high point, trapping air bubble under cap.
Check coolant level after 8 hour cool down. Check by removing radiator cap early in the morning, before OAT or sun warms the vehicle.
Top with only Toyota LL red mixed 50/50 w/distilled water in 98-03, or Toyota SLL pink 04- (USA 100 series).
Then fill reservoir to max line on warm morning. Lower or low level line when OAT cold (near or at low line if coldest morning of year).
If you ad coolant, repeat next morning. Keep repeating until system is full (to very top of radiator, not needing a drop) in the morning inspection.

Also replace thermostat and radiator cap, if no record of done or with what or by whom. Often times thermostats aren't installed correctly with jig valve up. Improperly installed and air will not purge properly. I using only OEM.

I use BG coolant system cleaner and supper cool, when I do flush. Triple flushing at minimum, with distilled water after running the system cleaner in system. I drain block at both block drains and radiator, then blow-out with ~13PSI shop air between each flush. I blow out at radiator and at both heater core at fire wall (tees). Replacing tees if not done in last 7 years.

Never add tap water. If you must add tap water or use a garden hose too flush. Follow-up with above flush to remove tap water best you can. The BG supper cool. Will help treat the system, reducing deposit tap waters minerals leave behind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom