Any tips for refinishing powder coated metal? Needs to be sturdy, not pretty. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CharlieS

GOLD Star
Threads
I'm moving my budbuilt lower shock skids to a different vehicle and would like to refinish them before the installation.

I figured the powder coat would be sturdy enough to protect the metal underneath, but they got pretty sandblasted on the forward facing surface.

What do people recommend for refinishing that might be more durable? I don't think regular paint would hold up. How about bed liner?

As a side note, if you live in rust country, pay the extra for the stainless. I got the mild steel powder coated ones instead of the stainless ones that I should have (penny wise, pound foolish). If I were doing it over, I'd pay the extra and get stainless.

26AA9817-9B7C-4764-94F2-19942D91CE97.jpeg
DCF0EC6F-73AC-4D25-9C09-61B9BB79CA1F.jpeg

Last edited:
Bed liner can be more durable, if applied properly, and depending on the product.

Personally, I'd get them sandblasted, primed (zinc-based), and powdercoated again.

I feel the same way about my skids.. wish I paid that bit more instead of powdercoating steel.

I've heard that rhino liner and the likes can potentially peel and allow water intrusion underneath causing more rust behind the liner so you don't see it happening..

If your actually scraping them on rocks, anything you put on them will scrape off anyway. Paint...powder coat...bed liner. All will lose that fight.

So...to me...the best bet is something that is super easy to touch up...since you’ll want to to prevent rust. Personally I think that points to rattle-can paint. Nothing easier to touch up than that.

I can’t even count how many times I’ve quickly sprayed scrapes on my bumpers and sliders. Super easy. Literally seconds. Just a bit of wire brush if rust is forming...then a little spray and done.

Very glad I did stainless for the reasons you mention, but paint is so easy to touch up, I think it’s a winner.

Last edited:
I think mine is more sandblasting than scraping, although there is some evidence of that too. Maybe I'll just hit them with the wire wheel and rattle can them black for now.

I think mine is more sandblasting than scraping, although there is some evidence of that too. Maybe I'll just hit them with the wire wheel and rattle can them black for now.

Ya, I get the sandblasting thing. If you don’t anticipate actually hitting stuff with them, that’s different. My take a direct-impact beating frequently, so that’s where my post is coming from.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the "hammered finish" spray paints are particularly tough.. has anyone else heard that?

I decided that in the long run, I'm better off without the maintenance and opted to replace them with the stainless ones. I just put an order in. If anyone wants the mild steel ones, give me a holler.

Galvanize them, then finish on top with a galvanized compatible paint or powder coat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom