Any tips, Clutch Master and Slave (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My slave cylinder popped a leak the other day. So leaked about half the fluid right off. I was able to nurse the clutch and drive about 5 miles home. When I got it home there was no fluid at all and I was lucky to make it there.

So I ordered a slave and Master cylinder too. I plan to blow out the line in between and install the new parts as soon as they arrive, (later this week). I'll flush it with the new fluid as I bleed it.

Anyone have any tips or is this just straight forward...Looks simple to me, just install the parts and bleed & adjust.

Thanks

i just did mine, as easy as can be. i also bought the braided hose and prebent tubing from sor, the master and slave from the parts store. when you get them removed, adjust the linkages on each comparing it to the old one and reasemle fill and bleed. only thing that wasnt straight forward was that i had to loosen the power booster on the brake to get a socket on the clutch master bolts. 4 bolts inside the cab for the power booster. 1971 is what i work on, someday i will get to drive it

Thanks, I guess it is straight foreward. Oh, this is for a 77' FJ40. Wow only one reply...Thanks Fishlessman.

Yesterday I pulled off the master and slave and blew out the line. Should get parts today. While I was there I adjusted the steering box, it was tough to get at that, the adjust is a threaded bolt with a Flat head slot accompanied by a lock nut that threads down and locks on to the case, (it is all oriented facing the manifold), Had a hard time un-seizeing the nut/bolt combo. Probably hasnt been touched since it was new.

I just did mine too....had the same problem with that Master Cylinder bolt that fishlessman did. Otherwise, simple to replace the components. I still need to bleed the system though...just haven't found the time.

BTW - How did that adjust of the steering box work for you?

It seems to have adjusted up better, have not driven it yet to see. Removed the 4 bolts holding on a heat shield, then under that and facing the exhaust manifold is a nut threaded onto a post that goes into the steering box. The nut just locks it in position and the post can be turned with off set screwdriver or a stubby...there is a slot in the end of the post.

Just turned the post till I felt it bottom out, then tighten the locknut to hold it in position.

The hard part was unseizing the nut from the post. I recomment liquid wrench and let it penetrate prior to trying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom