Any special treatments after a respray (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 60 is due back from its respray on Monday. Is there anything I should do to treat the paintwork. I understand that it will be waxed before it leaves the bodyshop. Is there anything I can then do to keep it looking pristine?

Cheers, Jim

Looks great in primer!!!

Are they using a single-stage, or a base-clear paint?

"Is there anything I can then do to keep it looking pristine?"

Keep the vehicle inside, out of the sun, in a dust free and humidity-controlled room, and it should look great all the time...

The best thing you could do, right after you get it back, is to scratch it someplace, so that it is done and over with, because it will happen, and you will most probably be very disappointed after this...

I painted my truck for the first time in 1995, after installing a newer half-tub, and some frame updates...Painted it Wed, and Friday night, it was on the trailer going to Ma and Pa Rockers in Superior WI for the weekend..Had a blast wheeling it all weekend, yes it got muddy, and scratched up, but that is reality... I built my truck to use it.

Good luck!

-Steve

It's having a primer coat, color coat then gloss coat... I thnk. Ok - so there is nothing else I can do. It's a bit like having a new carpet... I's never going to look as good again as the day it's fitted.

Poser is right, the sun is any paints worst enemy. Be sure you use cleaners/polishes/waxes made for clearcoat applications. I had a BMW "detailed" by a gorilld who polished right thru the clearcoat on the hood. Base coat is about as shiney as a chalkboard. PMO
I've also seen some waxes that claim to have UV blockers, like sunscreen.
I bet you'll love it. It will smell great for a while, too.
ED

New paint will need to cure and harden for a period of up to 3 months (depending on the type of paint used and the paint manufacturer) before you apply a top coat of wax. Whatever the body shop applies during the final polishing should adequately repel water during that time. After that, wax with a pure caranuba wax - no additives, cleaners, etc...

Wash the truck weekly with a good car wash soap, soft wash mitt, and chamios dry. Park it in a garage as much as possible and avoid parking under trees (sap and animal activity). The regular washing alone will do much to preserve your new paint over time.

Enjoy the "new" ride and post pics when it's done,
HTH,

-dogboy- '87 FJ60

[quote author=dogboy link=board=1;threadid=12988;start=msg120609#msg120609 date=1079193642]
.... Park it in a garage as much as possible ...
[/quote]

Park it in a Garage and dont take it out is the only way to keep it new ... but whats the fun in that :cheers:

POst up pics when you get it out

Thanks for the advice. I agree that the sun is the enemy but here in the UK we have a year round ally - called cloud cover.

I was down at the paint shop again today (think they're getting sick of me :)) They have an oven which they drive the car into which apparently heats up to 80o celcius to cure the paint. They then give it a wax and polish. Hopefully this will keep it looking good for a while.

I have to admit that I'm normally too lazy to wash the car by hand and go to the car wash. Maybe it's time to buy a bucket ... Anyone use Autoglyn? I've heard it's good polish.

I'll post pics on Tuesday.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom