Any review of the Cruiserparts 4 speed conversion kit? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got a '72 and the 3 speed isn't cutting it, plus I'd like to get an extra gear ahead of a potential conversion to electric down the road. Has anyone had good luck with the Cruiserparts 4 speed conversion kit? It looks like a good option vs. sourcing all the parts myself individually, but with the different transfer cases over the years I wanted to get some insight from the folks here.

top gear is the same in both the 3 and 4 speed it is 1:1
if you want an overdrive you would need to go to a 5 speed
not sure what is included in the kit,but the basics you will need are:
bellhousing
transmision
either transfer case or the transision gear and use your existing transfer case
drive shafts
maybe a longer park brake cable

I've got a '72 and the 3 speed isn't cutting it, plus I'd like to get an extra gear ahead of a potential conversion to electric down the road. Has anyone had good luck with the Cruiserparts 4 speed conversion kit? It looks like a good option vs. sourcing all the parts myself individually, but with the different transfer cases over the years I wanted to get some insight from the folks here.
Haven't seen it but I suspect it's just the input gear from a 74 plus a bearing for the 4 speed tailshaft to the back of the three speed case.
The 74 had a 4 speed with a three speed case.
from Specter's site.....

#10 TRANSFERCASE INPUT GEAR -
Fits 4 speed-4/75 - Change over bearing to adapt the 4 speed transmission to the 3 speed transfer case - You will also need #070-08C bearing - Order separately
Club Price with 15% Discount is $ 128.25 Click here for info about joining Club SOR

WARNING: Cancer and Reproductive Harm — www.p65warnings.ca.gov

Makes sense for the transfer case conversion, and they do include the gear and bearing. I honestly don't have an issue with the t-case so I'm not itching to change that unless there was some sort of compatibility issue. Here's everything that's in their 4 speed kit (and a link to the page where they list price/parts, which I should have included in the first place):
Kit includes:
Bell housing with cover, flywheel, transmission, conversion gear & bearing, shifters, boots, gaskets , flanges, drive shafts and a bunch of hardware.
They also have a 5 speed kit that's 4x the price but includes a new H55f, used transfer case disk ebrake conversion and all the extra bits. I'm not adverse to spending the extra cash, but in terms of the end goal of conversion to electric at some point, I'm not sure that there's too much value to an overdrive gear given how a motor drives the truck vs. an engine. Would it be worth it for the general upgrade to the H55f longer term? If I'm spending several grand on this I'd rather just do it once and love the end results.

Thanks for the opinions so far, I really appreciate it!

H55 in an older 40 is a bigger undertaking than a 4 speed setup
you would need the correct transfer case to go with the 5 speed,
crossmember setup for support
not sure the disc ebrake is a good setup, as some have said it is tough to get enough hold/grip to make it work properly
torque tube mods will need to be done to your frame, it will be close with a 4 speed
you don't need to change the 3 speed flywheel setup to run either the 4 or 5 speed
drive shafts will need to be changed or modded for either setup

some have installed 5 speeds in 40's and like them alot

being as you are in CA there is this guy in Stocton that could set you up with an H55 setup.
@orangefj45

$2500 seems like a lot for a used trans, a couple driveshafts, and a few other bits and pieces. I’d source them myself.
Or swap in a four speed and split case out of a 60 series. You’d still need driveshafts and an e-brake, but would have a stronger & quieter case that’ll take lower low range gears. It might cost as much in the end but you’d be further ahead.

H55 in an older 40 is a bigger undertaking than a 4 speed setup
you would need the correct transfer case to go with the 5 speed,
crossmember setup for support
not sure the disc ebrake is a good setup, as some have said it is tough to get enough hold/grip to make it work properly
torque tube mods will need to be done to your frame, it will be close with a 4 speed
you don't need to change the 3 speed flywheel setup to run either the 4 or 5 speed
drive shafts will need to be changed or modded for either setup

some have installed 5 speeds in 40's and like them alot

being as you are in CA there is this guy in Stocton that could set you up with an H55 setup.
@orangefj45
I've been meaning to call Georg. Just trying to make sure I fully understand the requirements first. I've never had to do much with the transmissions on my FJs and this is totally elective so trying to get myself educated! Thanks again everyone for the info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom