Any recommendations on a 100% duty cycle portable compressor? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

arcteryx

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.cruiseryard.com
Like the title says, I am looking for a 100% duty cycle portable compressor that will do 150-200 PSI. Open to 12V or 120.

Are you talking about little guys like typical for tires or more serious than that? I do have some small ones for tires that are 100% (until destruction perhaps) but not quite 150 psi I assume and low flow. I do have some 100% ones intended for things like airbrushing but with no tank and small flow and probably also not 200.
What kind of flow rate do you need? It does seem like 200 psi, portable, and reasonable flow rates are not easily achievable at the same time.

It's mainly for big tires on a RV, or medium duty truck. Some of those take 110-120 psi, so I wanted enough oomph to be able to push that if needed. By portable, I mean something under 40-50 lbs that can be moved, not a stationary standup. AC or DC is fine. I see ARB has a small 12v, but it's about $650 .

It's mainly for big tires on a RV, or medium duty truck. Some of those take 110-120 psi, so I wanted enough oomph to be able to push that if needed. By portable, I mean something under 40-50 lbs that can be moved, not a stationary standup. AC or DC is fine. I see ARB has a small 12v, but it's about $650 .
So something that small with a rated continues run feature (motor) will be difficult to find unless you spend more than your budget.
This Metabo duel tank comes in around 53 pound and the motor is thermally protected so it won't burn itself up.

the issue of the duty cycle vs tanks is not obvious with tires, it seems. You could go with a high duty cycle (does not even need to be 100%, just long enough to inflate the tire, right?) and just take a while if the flow rate is low with no tank; or OTOH a lower duty cycle with tank but then the tank has to be big enough compared to the tire or you may still need to stop in the middle of a given tire inflation. How much in a hurry you are matters.

If you mean portable as in drag it to the truck in the yard, then tanks are not a problem, but if you mean on board, they would probably be for most of us.

Having said that, I use the little 12V vaunted chinese compressors (Super flow MV50 something like that?) from some years back with my regular tires (50 psi) on the road no problem. I think I may have used it on 80psi trailer tires too but not sure. It will get quite hot but keeps running full time. I don't know that it would go to 120psi though and if so it may be overtaxing the unit anyway. So that works for me and it is very cheap, but your 120+psi criterion may be the stumbling block for similar units.

It seems that the most practical solution might be something like those but just higher pressure. And that may be $$. There may not be a cheap way out.

Everyone that runs the portable 12V PUMA (max 135 psi) seems to be satisfied:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom